Long cruise- allowed to leave?

Hsmama

Weird question I guess..... what are the rules regarding cruises,and leaving before the final port of call? I was looking at some cruises,and one stops at a port not far from my home, which is more convenient for me that to continue on for another few days to the end port (it's a one way cruise) is that allowed?

It needs to be pre-arranged if it can be allowed. Recently, we had co-passengers who requested, and were allowed, to disembark at our last port in Le Havre France to spend the night in Paris instead of getting back for final disembarkation the following day in Southampton. Documentation needs to be done, with the final bill settlement among others.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Generally possible is a non US based closed loop cruise. If it is a closed loop cruise from a US port it violates the PVSA and is not allowed. EM

Not necessarily.

A closed loop cruise, say out of Ft Lauderdale. Someone requests to get off in, say, Grand Cayman. It isn't illegal under the PVSA, but most cruise lines will not allow it due to the extra, involved paperwork because the cruise now becomes a foreign itinerary cruise. Yes, even if only one person gets off in a foreign port on a closed loop cruise it changes the "closed loop" status to a foreign itinerary for everyone onboard and there's more paperwork involved.

Doesn't matter. You can still do a one way cruise and violate the PVSA if the foreign distant port hasn't been hit yet.

Only if the two ports involved (embarkation and the one the passenger gets off in) are two different US ports.

If the embarkation port is US port, and the port the passenger wants to get off in is a foreign port, it's legal under the PVSA.

Just be aware that sometimes ports are missed. On a Quebec City to Fort Lauderdale cruise a few years ago a group of 40 passengers got permission to disembark in Charlestown, SC. Unfortunately when we were in sight of the dock the captain aborted the approach saying the weather was about to seriously worsen. It did - we had tropical storm conditions for the next 24 hours. When we arrived in Port Everglades 48 hours later the entire group had to find transportation back to South Carolina!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I agree that it does not matter if it's a one-way or a closed-loop cruise as to whether what the OP wants to do violates the PVSA. For instance, there's a one-way cruise on the Star Princess next spring from Los Angeles to Vancouver. If the OP wanted to get off the ship in Astoria, Oregon, it would not be allowed.

I know that several people on Celebrity cruises from the UK to Florida, which stop in New York en route have disembarked in New York --- after lining it up with Celebrity. Of course, they did not receive any discount, and the line could not sell their space as a foreign flagged ship cannot carry passengers between two US ports.

I believe that Celebrity's approval was conditional upon their being customs and immigration arrangements to handle the debarking passengers.

Weird question I guess..... what are the rules regarding cruises,and leaving before the final port of call? I was looking at some cruises,and one stops at a port not far from my home, which is more convenient for me that to continue on for another few days to the end port (it's a one way cruise) is that allowed?

We have left cruises early but have always made a formal request to the cruise line in advance --and received and okay in writing before ever boarding the ship. When we did we also checked out with Customer Service the night before, never had a problem doing it this way.

Only the cruise line can tell you for sure.

A lot will depend on availability of customs etc.