Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 10:49 AM.
Florida
3,524 Posts
Joined Sep 2002
My daughter has been doing Thanksgiving for the past few years. It's been so nice not to have to cook etc. Just play with the grand kids and catch up with our son.

Zoey and MaKenzie love to play together so that keeps them busy all day.

Stacy will be doing Thanksgiving. We are keeping it simple. She has been on a dairy and wheat free diet for a little while and loves it. Being that Malia has allergies to those things she has found all the good tasting dairy/wheat free items.

All we have to bring is an apple pie. We might be able to find one that has no eggs or nuts.

Poor MaKenzie fell on her face yesterday and pushed her front tooth backwards. Dentist says she may lose the tooth, but it's a baby tooth, so hopefully it doesn't damage the permanent tooth. Never a dull moment in that house...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jill
Florida
3,524 Posts
Joined Sep 2002
TOP OF THE PAGE..............Got ya Becki...

Forgot to tell you about one of the funny comments from people on the ship. We got on an elevator and it was Monday. There was a girl and guy in their 20's I think. The guy looks at the day of the week plaque on the floor and says.."oh look this elevators name is Monday" the girl says "no that's the day of the week"...he says "no because the other elevator was named Sunday" I hope he was kidding.

We laughed about that all week....
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jill
NW Ohio
8,417 Posts
Joined Jan 2001
Jill,

Yes, you stole that page turn from me. But don't get used to It!

That's great that Stacy is on the dairy and wheat-free diet. Besides the benefit to her, now it is easier for her to find things for Malia too. And, when I was shopping to find things for dinner for our friends that had food allergies, I found that there are so many more choices than there used to be, and not just in the specialty stores either, but in the regular groceries.

I am off to the store today to get my turkey. My big turkey, better known as Garrett, is going with me.

That is so funny about the elevators. Yeah, hard to know if the poor guy figured it out or not.

Becki
USA
1,423 Posts
Joined Apr 2003
Becki, what is your recipe? might as well compare notes.

Mine is: finely chopped onion and celery saute in butter, 1 lb hamburger and 1 lb sausage cooked then chopped fine. The loaf stuffing bread pulled apart in tiny pieces. mix everything together add some milk to make it stick and some poultry seasoning.

No I was not asked to bring anything to my granddaughters yet. Think I will make an apple pie and bring that anyway.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruise Girl Forever
NW Ohio
8,417 Posts
Joined Jan 2001
Grace, yours is remarkably similar to mine. Yes, saute the celery and onion in butter until soft. Rinse the skillet with milk and pour over the torn up bread in a casserole dish. Crack 2 eggs over the bread & add a jar of mushrooms with the liquid. Add salt & pepper to taste and mix until well combined. Stuff turkey with some and put remaining in casserole to bake.

So, the difference I see is you use meat in yours, which would be yummy. My mom used to make one dish of stuffing with oysters, but I don't do that. I developed an allergy to clams and mussels in the past 20 yrs. Don't know about oysters, and not sure it's worth finding out. I do a small dish w/out mushrooms as Garrett isn't keen on them.

I got my turkey today; a 15 1/2 pounder. There will be 5 of us and the recommended quantity is 1 1/2 lbs to 2 lbs per person. I got extra to allow for leftovers. I know my girlfriend will take some home. She just recently lost her job.

Becki
USA
1,423 Posts
Joined Apr 2003
Originally posted by rjscott
Grace, yours is remarkably similar to mine. Yes, saute the celery and onion in butter until soft. Rinse the skillet with milk and pour over the torn up bread in a casserole dish. Crack 2 eggs over the bread & add a jar of mushrooms with the liquid. Add salt & pepper to taste and mix until well combined. Stuff turkey with some and put remaining in casserole to bake.

So, the difference I see is you use meat in yours, which would be yummy. My mom used to make one dish of stuffing with oysters, but I don't do that. I developed an allergy to clams and mussels in the past 20 yrs. Don't know about oysters, and not sure it's worth finding out. I do a small dish w/out mushrooms as Garrett isn't keen on them.

I got my turkey today; a 15 1/2 pounder. There will be 5 of us and the recommended quantity is 1 1/2 lbs to 2 lbs per person. I got extra to allow for leftovers. I know my girlfriend will take some home. She just recently lost her job.

Becki
OMG, Becki, small world indeed, as my mother used the oysters in the neck of the turkey stuffing only for my dad. I never did that. I am not a clam, oyster, mussel person, more of a shrimp, crab, lobster kind of gal.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruise Girl Forever
NW Ohio
8,417 Posts
Joined Jan 2001
Grace,

We always put stuffing under the neck skin as well. So funny, because so many people have never heard of doing that!
Well, after we discovered my allergies to clams and mussels, I was so grateful it didn't extend to all shellfish. I sure would miss my scallops, shrimp and lobster!

Jill,

I know you will enjoy your four days off, but I can't believe you aren't done with your Christmas shopping! Aren't you usually done by July 4th?

Becki
USA
1,423 Posts
Joined Apr 2003
Jill, you sure you want to shop those 4 days. In Jersey it is a nightmare. Heck they are starting on Thanksgiving this year.
Me, I am a cyber Monday shopper. Of course this year it is starting with cyber Friday I think.. omg, you have to love retail.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruise Girl Forever
Florida
3,524 Posts
Joined Sep 2002
Actually I am done with Christmas shopping. I like to get it done before all the snowbirds get down here and you can't go anywhere.

We just mailed our packages to go up North and now I just have to work on the Christmas games for the kids.

Just looking forward to having 4 days off...............
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jill
NW Ohio
8,417 Posts
Joined Jan 2001
Jill,

Have you come up with some new games for the kids for Christmas? Your games sound so fun. Amelia and Anna would have a great time playing along. They won't even get to see each other this year.

I have been cooking all day. Got my appetizers done and in the fridge. Baked my sweet potatoes; now I just have to peel them tomorrow, cut them into slices and heat them with an orange juice and brown sugar mixture. Don't like the marshmallow dishes. Have my bread torn up for the stuffing and my onion and celery chopped and ready for saute. My cranberry sauce is made. My chocolate flourless cake is made; just needs its ganache topping tomorrow.

So, early tomorrow, it is stuff the turkey and get it in the oven by 7:30 , make my cranberry/apple pie, make the mashed potatoes and gravy and stick the rolls in the oven while the turkey is resting.

Happy Thanksgiving, Summiteers!

Becki
Florida
3,524 Posts
Joined Sep 2002
Haven't been able to get into this thread for the last 2 days. Finally had to look myself up to bring this up.

Apple pie is baked and it will be nice to see everyone. The grand kids are looking forward to playing together. They haven't seen each other since September.

Our Christmas game this year is a cash grab. I have 20 items for them to memorize then for every one they get right, they get to reach into the bag to draw out money. We are using craft sticks to write amounts on then will give them cash afterwards. This is the first year that Madison will play with the adults.

I also have a treasure hunt and picture game for her to look for her other 2 gifts. Also since Makenzie wanted to play last year, we have a puzzle for her and Zoey to hunt for a gift.

Keeps them coming back every year...HAPPY THANKSGIVING everyone.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jill
Willow Glen Ca.
4,078 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
..Good Evening, Summiteers..I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving without any family drama.....I'm sorry, I didn't finish my last review...I really tried to...It seems to take more of my time to get ready to cruise...Or I'm just a old man......We leave for the Aiport at Six AM tomorrow....by this time tomorrow we will be back in FLL... Looking forward to this cruise, I know Kathie Lee is...We will be gone for 11 days on the Celebrity Reflection...I have heard good things about this ship and I hope it's all true...Next time it can be the reunion cruise...I hope.....Talk to you when we get back...Have fun putting up your Christmas lights....HO HO HO>>>
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Paradise 3-99...Celebrity Summit 4-04..[/color][/b] Celebrity Mercury 4.05... [/color]NCL Pride of America 5-06 Hawaii...RCCL Monarch of the Seas 10-07... [/size]..Royal Liberty of the Seas 4/08......Star Princess 9-09 Alaska./B][/color].. Celebrity Constellation..3-11..Southern Caribbean..Celebrity Millennium..5-12 Pacific Coast Wine Cruise...Celebrity Silhouette Eastern Carib. 1-13.....Celebrity Silhouette...10-13..Med. Cruise..[color=indigo]Legend of the Seas..Southern Carib.2-15....Taking a TA on the " Big Silly"..4-16..Oasis of the Seas...4-17.Celebrity Reflection..11-17 Going South Again!!
NW Ohio
8,417 Posts
Joined Jan 2001
Bon Voyage, Beau and Kathie Lee! Hope your cruise is a great one and that you enjoy being back on Celebrity.

Beau, please, please, please, don't start this next review unless you plan to finish it. It is very disappointing to your faithful followers.

Becki
NW Ohio
8,417 Posts
Joined Jan 2001
Jill,
Your games sound so fun! I am sure Madison will be excited to play with the adults and Makenzie and Zoey will be having their own fun with their game.

This year, my sister will get to go out for our Christmas dinner. She is so looking forward to it. My nephew is hosting it at his apartment in Kent, as there are no stairs into his place. My niece already went to the rehab and, with one of the therapists, made sure my sister could transfer from her wheelchair into my niece's car without a problem. She did just fine. She will also take her walker with her for going to the bathroom. We are all excited for her to be going out. For the past year and a half the only place she has gone outside of the hospital or rehab facility is to Dr appointments, and that has been in a transport van and by cot until just recently. I am just overwhelmed by how far she has come.

Our thanksgiving went very well. My girlfriend came about an hour early to help me and I was glad she did. Still, I managed to leave one dish in the microwave. It was just carrots that I had glazed and then wanted to reheat a bit, so I passed them around as we were sitting around talking and everyone liked them. The turkey came out well, despite having gotten done too early. I had to take it out of the oven, but then put it back in on the 'warm & hold' function my oven has, and when I started to carve it, it was falling apart. YAY! My desserts were a hit, especially my chocolate flourless cake. Wow, was that good and so easy to make!

Now I am busy putting together clothes to go in the suitcase for our trip to The Villages next week. Looks like mostly 70's, so for me that means still long pants, although I'm sure the people who live there will be in shorts and sandals. I will be marked for sure as a Yankee!

Becki
Florida
3,524 Posts
Joined Sep 2002
Beau...enjoy your cruise. I'm sure you will have a wonderful time. Safe travels...

Becki...Are you just going to The Villages for a week? The weather hasn't been too bad. Lots better than up North. Should be in the mid 70's and lows in the 60's.

Our Thanksgiving was a lot of fun. The girls all had fun playing together and Stacy did a good job on dinner by herself with her having to make different things for 2 of the kids. Making a separate potato for Malia with her dairy free stuff and cleaning up everything before she could come out of her room, so she doesn't come in contact with what we were eating.

I guess our apple pie was a success....Madison had 2 pieces before we left the house.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jill
NW Ohio
8,417 Posts
Joined Jan 2001
Jill,
Yes, we are just going to The Villages to visit with our friends this time. No side trips. Actually, I was surprised to find a place for just a week in Dec at this late date. But a woman had a cancellation and her rental is not far from our friends.

Your Thanksgiving sounds really nice with all the girls. What a job she has to do, what with all their different allergies. But kids take these things in stride pretty much when they grow up with them.

Becki
Florida
3,524 Posts
Joined Sep 2002
Becki...have fun at The Villages and watch out for all the dirty old men...

How long do you think it will take Beau to let us know what he did on this cruise?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jill
NW Ohio
8,417 Posts
Joined Jan 2001
Jill,

I am going to count the scrubbies I see on the cars in The Villages. That will tell me how many swingers I can spot.

Ah, don't expect anything until after New Years'. Oh, wait, I forgot about the Super Bowl!

Becki