The Lea's go Cruising on Queen Elizabeth to the Canaries

Tangoqueen

Sunday 6th November

Hi I'm Linda and will be embarking on our 7th Cunard voyage tomorrow on Queen Elizabeth sailing to the Canaries from Southampton with my husband David. I'd hoped to start a blog for this holiday after very much enjoying Rakkor's recent blog but haven't had chance to teach myself to do this as had a few busy weeks in work. My lovely future daughter in law Lucy recommended trying blogger.com so fingers crossed as only logged on to it this morning (Monday 7th - day of embarkation). Hope you enjoy my simple updates.

Arrived at Southampton Hilton Hotel at 7pm on Sunday 6th November for our pre cruise overnight stay. Pleased with the hotel - clean and bright - we were lucky enough to get a great deal since our daughter works for the chain so made the most of 50% discount on food and beverages. After checking into our room which was of a good standard went and had a bite to eat in the bar - lovely pizza and a nice large glass of Pinot Grigio for me and an Omelette and Chips and large Red for my husband David. Retired early to watch the last episode of Poldark and had a fairly decent nights sleep. Breakfast was ok but know we've plenty of excellent breakfasts to come. The restaurant was fairly quiet and we guessed 99% of guests would be joining our cruise too. Getting ready to drive to the terminal where we've booked parking through CPS (Cruise & Passenger Services not Crown Prosecution Service as David had joked).

We will be sailing for 12 nights and after we set sail tonight won't set foot on land until Friday in Madeira so fingers crossed for good weather.

If you wish to follow my blog go to Lindalea1.blogspot.co.uk and hopefully I will get better during our journey. Bon Voyage!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hope you have a great trip.

We just left QE this morning and had a really good two weeks around the Med.

There was a delay getting off this morning as a baggage handler had an accident and an ambulance was called, so we all had to wait for the poor person to be taken away. We do hope he's okay.

Embarkation, two weeks ago was very strange. We had a quick car ride from EUS, again using TMR Executive Cars, and arrived at Mayflower at 11:30am.

When we entered the check in hall, we were amazed to find it almost empty. We asked where the priority check in was to be and were told that it wasn't necessary, as we could check in anywhere and board immediately. Within 10 minutes from turning up, we were aboard. They were directing everyone to the Lido and telling us that we could not access our rooms until noon.

We went to the Grills Lounge and immediately met a Roll Call poster. We chatted for half an hour, then went to our room, which of course was all ready for us, complete with Champagne and the dreaded PA, which incidentally, is still there untouched. I do wish they'd get the message.

The seas were very kind, until we hit the BoB a couple of days ago, when it went lumpy, and as we were at the stern, we got all the banging and thumping.

Looking forward to next year already!

Stewart

Parking at the terminal worked really well - just don't depend on your satnav but follow the road signs. We pulled up right outside the Terminal, luggage taken off us and handed car keys to a lady who gave us a receipt and off we went.

Checking in was swift and uneventful with barely no queues. Straight onboard and to our Inside Deluxe Cabin on Deck 1. The cabin was quite spacious with a large sofa and armchair and a bottle of bubbly. Quick explore of the ship and bite to eat in the Lido Buffet, I had a salad with trout and 2 cakes and David had boiled egg, cheese, ham and cheese butty, chips and minute steak and 2 cakes.

A bit more of an explore and back to the cabin to find cases delivered and now unpacked.

Next is the safety drill before we depart for Madeira on Friday.

David's going to the gym to work off his lunch before dinner and I'm going to have a snooze. Looking forward to G&T time at about 6 followed by the first of many cocktails of the day and a quick dance in the ballroom before dinner at 8.30pm.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Parking at the terminal worked really well - just don't depend on your satnav but follow the road signs. We pulled up right outside the Terminal, luggage taken off us and handed car keys to a lady who gave us a receipt and off we went.

Checking in was swift and uneventful with barely no queues. Straight onboard and to our Inside Deluxe Cabin on Deck 1. The cabin was quite spacious with a large sofa and armchair and a bottle of bubbly. Quick explore of the ship and bite to eat in the Lido Buffet, I had a salad with trout and 2 cakes and David had boiled egg, cheese, ham and cheese butty, chips and minute steak and 2 cakes.

A bit more of an explore and back to the cabin to find cases delivered and now unpacked.

Next is the safety drill before we depart for Madeira on Friday.

David's going to the gym to work off his lunch before dinner and I'm going to have a snooze. Looking forward to G&T time at about 6 followed by the first of many cocktails of the day and a quick dance in the ballroom before dinner at 8.30pm.

Hi look forward to reading all about your venture,

we are doing the cruise next oct in delux inside on deck 1 1069 so interested in how you find the location especially around traffic noise and how you fare going through BoB, not sailed Cunard so any info appreciated

Ellie

Hope you have a great trip.

We just left QE this morning and had a really good two weeks around the Med.

There was a delay getting off this morning as a baggage handler had an accident and an ambulance was called, so we all had to wait for the poor person to be taken away. We do hope he's okay.

Embarkation, two weeks ago was very strange. We had a quick car ride from EUS, again using TMR Executive Cars, and arrived at Mayflower at 11:30am.

When we entered the check in hall, we were amazed to find it almost empty. We asked where the priority check in was to be and were told that it wasn't necessary, as we could check in anywhere and board immediately. Within 10 minutes from turning up, we were aboard. They were directing everyone to the Lido and telling us that we could not access our rooms until noon.

We went to the Grills Lounge and immediately met a Roll Call poster. We chatted for half an hour, then went to our room, which of course was all ready for us, complete with Champagne and the dreaded PA, which incidentally, is still there untouched. I do wish they'd get the message.

The seas were very kind, until we hit the BoB a couple of days ago, when it went lumpy, and as we were at the stern, we got all the banging and thumping.

Looking forward to next year already!

Stewart

Hi we are sailing on QE next oct just wondering if you could advise on how comfy the beds and pillows are - also give an idea of daily activities i.e. Is there Zumba on sea days - new to Cunard thanks Ellie

Hi look forward to reading all about your venture,

we are doing the cruise next oct in delux inside on deck 1 1069 so interested in how you find the location especially around traffic noise and how you fare going through BoB, not sailed Cunard so any info appreciated

Ellie

I stayed in 1069 last year on a cruise with my girlfriends. I occupied the stateroom as a solo and was pleasantly surprised with the spaciousness . There was a sofa, chair, stacks of wardrobe and drawer space. There are very useful drawers under the bed.The bathroom was a tad on the small side but adequate. I found the location quiet and very convenient for the Grand Lobby, one deck up and you have Café Corinthia, Golden Lion, Library , Queens Room etc. Deck 1 is also convenient for the theatre' if you walk forward on leaving your stateroom you can beat the crowds :-) I had a wonderful time, as it was a winter cruise I didn't really miss the balcony. Have fun !!

I stayed in 1069 last year on a cruise with my girlfriends. I occupied the stateroom as a solo and was pleasantly surprised with the spaciousness . There was a sofa, chair, stacks of wardrobe and drawer space. There are very useful drawers under the bed.The bathroom was a tad on the small side but adequate. I found the location quiet and very convenient for the Grand Lobby, one deck up and you have Café Corinthia, Golden Lion, Library , Queens Room etc. Deck 1 is also convenient for the theatre' if you walk forward on leaving your stateroom you can beat the crowds :-) I had a wonderful time, as it was a winter cruise I didn't really miss the balcony. Have fun !!

Thanks for info we are also from north yorks - one more question did you find it kept the sea sickness at bay ?

Thanks for info we are also from north yorks - one more question did you find it kept the sea sickness at bay ?

Luckily I have pretty good sea legs and never suffer from sea sickness (even when tottering around in four inch heels).1069 is pretty much midships and a low deck, I believe this to be advantageous . One other important point I love the pillows and found the bed to be comfortable . One negative, the TV was not mounted on the wall but sat on the desk/dressing table taking up valuable space...Have a wonderful time .....:)

We are on board too, currently rocking and rolling in the Bay of Biscay.

We had a meet and greet in the Commodore Club at 2pm yesterday, which was attended by more Facebook Cunard Critic people than Cruise Critic, but still good to meet everyone.

Can't wait to get to walmer climes.

We are on board too, currently rocking and rolling in the Bay of Biscay.

We had a meet and greet in the Commodore Club at 2pm yesterday, which was attended by more Facebook Cunard Critic people than Cruise Critic, but still good to meet everyone.

Can't wait to get to walmer climes.

Hi hope BoB isn't too bad, we have snow here so at least your going to warmer climate - enjoy

Just one question about the beds and pillows, are they comfy. ? I prefer a softer mattress

Beds are lovely, a little on the firm side rather than soft, with two single mattresses making a King. Lots of pillows, use as many or as little as you like until you get comfortable. The steward can always change them if you need a firmer one.

Bay of biscay settled now, looking forward to warm weather.

Our first dinner went well, we booked 2nd sitting with a table for 8. We were in the upper dining room in deck 3 which was a first for us. Always feel a little apprehensive about the first meal but don't think we have anything to worry about - first impressions all very good having been seated with 3 other couples who were friendly and chatty. We danced before and after dinner to the orchestra in the Queens Room til midnight.

First night sleep went well although the bed seems much shorter than usual and David commented his legs were having over the edge. Luckily the bed is comfy and plenty of nice soft pillows. Cabin is situated forward on deck 1 and is nice and quiet.

Tuesday 8th November

Breakfast and lunch in MDR. There was quite a queue for breakfast this morning and as I am antisocial in the morning opted to wait a little longer for a table for 2. By lunch I'm a bit friendlier so we were happy to share with 4 others.

Went to the morning port presentation on Madeira, followed by a Dance class at 12.15 covering an intro to the Cha Cha Cha. Afternoon Tea followed in the Queens Room - which proved v popular as it was a sea day. We enjoyed the company of a solo traveller on the next table - a lovely lady aged 90 who still enjoyed her independence, she told us her mother who had lived to 1 day before her 100th birthday had been a suffragette.

David went to the gym and I had a little nap before dinner as can feel a sore throat and cough coming on.

Danced before and after dinner until midnight in the Queens Room and declined David's offer of our usual brisk walk on the promenade deck before retiring

Wednesday 9th November

Woke this morning to the controversial news of the presidential election and wondered how it would impact on the world. Enough of politics though - we had breakfast to go to.

After breakfast and feeling quite lethargic decided we would stay outside this morning. We did quite a few laps of the promenade deck. The seas has been a little rocky but not as bad as I feared. 7.5k steps later we went to another dance class - today it was Quick Step. The classes have proved v popular and the teachers were good.

Now whilst I'm mentioning steps - I love gadgets and just last week got a new Fitbit which reminds me if I have not achieved a minimum number of steps per hour (think it's 250) so if we've been having a quiet read it may look a little strange when I suddenly stand and jog on the spot to reach my target. It's our tenth cruise and we have never used the lift since the very first day of our first cruise when a helpful steward put us in the lift when we didn't know where to go. Now at times it's like being on holiday with the "stairs police" as David reminds me on a daily basis that we do not use the lift. I have been tempted when he goes to the gym just to sneak out of the cabin and ride the lifts for an hour and then sneak back in and he'd never know!

Lunch was in the Golden Lion - I had fish and chips and David went for the sausage and chips, nicely lubricated with a pint of Greene King and I had half a pint of shandy.

Now for a little read and catch up in the Commodores Club before afternoon tea in the Queens Room. In fact going to make our way down half an hour early to secure a seat so we don't have to queue today.

Looking forward to our first formal night tonight - Cunard Ball and hope that tomorrow may bring some sunshine as we get nearer to Madeira.

Our first dinner went well, we booked 2nd sitting with a table for 8. We were in the upper dining room in deck 3 which was a first for us. Always feel a little apprehensive about the first meal but don't think we have anything to worry about - first impressions all very good having been seated with 3 other couples who were friendly and chatty. We danced before and after dinner to the orchestra in the Queens Room til midnight.

First night sleep went well although the bed seems much shorter than usual and David commented his legs were having over the edge. Luckily the bed is comfy and plenty of nice soft pillows. Cabin is situated forward on deck 1 and is nice and quiet.

Tuesday 8th November

Breakfast and lunch in MDR. There was quite a queue for breakfast this morning and as I am antisocial in the morning opted to wait a little longer for a table for 2. By lunch I'm a bit friendlier so we were happy to share with 4 others.

Went to the morning port presentation on Madeira, followed by a Dance class at 12.15 covering an intro to the Cha Cha Cha. Afternoon Tea followed in the Queens Room - which proved v popular as it was a sea day. We enjoyed the company of a solo traveller on the next table - a lovely lady aged 90 who still enjoyed her independence, she told us her mother who had lived to 1 day before her 100th birthday had been a suffragette.

David went to the gym and I had a little nap before dinner as can feel a sore throat and cough coming on.

Danced before and after dinner until midnight in the Queens Room and declined David's offer of our usual brisk walk on the promenade deck before retiring

Wednesday 9th November

Woke this morning to the controversial news of the presidential election and wondered how it would impact on the world. Enough of politics though - we had breakfast to go to.

After breakfast and feeling quite lethargic decided we would stay outside this morning. We did quite a few laps of the promenade deck. The seas has been a little rocky but not as bad as I feared. 7.5k steps later we went to another dance class - today it was Quick Step. The classes have proved v popular and the teachers were good.

Now whilst I'm mentioning steps - I love gadgets and just last week got a new Fitbit which reminds me if I have not achieved a minimum number of steps per hour (think it's 250) so if we've been having a quiet read it may look a little strange when I suddenly stand and jog on the spot to reach my target. It's our tenth cruise and we have never used the lift since the very first day of our first cruise when a helpful steward put us in the lift when we didn't know where to go. Now at times it's like being on holiday with the "stairs police" as David reminds me on a daily basis that we do not use the lift. I have been tempted when he goes to the gym just to sneak out of the cabin and ride the lifts for an hour and then sneak back in and he'd never know!

Lunch was in the Golden Lion - I had fish and chips and David went for the sausage and chips, nicely lubricated with a pint of Greene King and I had half a pint of shandy.

Now for a little read and catch up in the Commodores Club before afternoon tea in the Queens Room. In fact going to make our way down half an hour early to secure a seat so we don't have to queue today.

Looking forward to our first formal night tonight - Cunard Ball and hope that tomorrow may bring some sunshine as we get nearer to Madeira.

Following with interest if you get chance to upload pics of the cabin that would be really good

As well as dance classes do they do Zumba ?

Following with interest if you get chance to upload pics of the cabin that would be really good

As well as dance classes do they do Zumba ?

I don't remember seeing it on our recent QE cruise, but then again, I wasn't looking for it. I scanned all our daily programmes and uploaded them to my recent blog, so you could have a look there - https://blog.rakkor.uk

We are in Madeira today here's a little update from yesterday.....

We had a lovely evening for our first formal night. We danced prior to dinner and it was nice to have the orchestra playing before as well as after dinner.

Dinner was excellent and our waiter, Ramil, is looking after us very well - ensuring everyone is happy and has enough food - he is particularly fond of force feeding additional ice cream with your dessert. We all left the table fairly handy to watch the professional dancers Dan and Olena perform a Viennese Waltz in the ballroom and we were not disappointed.

It's lovely dancing in your formal wear, although it can be a bit tricky doing a jive in a long gown. We spoke to a few of the dance hosts who were quite charming. One very enthusiastic German dance host has asked me if I would dance a Viennese waltz with him when we get chance - which although very nice of him will fill me with fear as I'm only used to dancing with my husband - it certainly won't resemble the pros!

Thursday 10th November

It's been slightly warmer today and we even sat out on deck for a while this afternoon.

We usually have a table for two for breakfast but today shared with a father and son travelling together. They were good company and it really is the perfect way to spend quality time together when you're holidaying with an older parent.

Lots of people taking in the air today on the promenade deck and managed quite a few laps ourselves before having half an hours reading and then a salsa dance class.

Lunch for us today was in the lido buffet and I had a chicken salad with two tiny desserts and David had a variety of cheeses and chicken and bread rolls. He managed to squeeze a couple of desserts in too.

Tonight is another formal night with Captain's Welcome Reception at 7.45pm

Here's a few photos of our cabin