Maasdam cabin 366 lower promenade

rachelfran

Do I have to worry about noise overhead?

I booked it to be near the doors to the promenade w/o paying for the Lanai cabin but I've just seen a post elsewhere about this cabin being under the kitchen prep area ...

Anyone with specific knowledge?

Sounds like husband wants to upgrade to Lanai -- cabin 344 is avail -- Will that be quieter?

Thank you!

Edited by rachelfran

I have not been either of those rooms although I have been in other OV rooms on LP deck Maasdam. The OVs and Lanais on LP are short, so they have a loveseat instead of a couch and one fewer closet than OVs on other decks; and the Lanai cabins have less storage space too, no drawers in the small vanity desk because of the way they had to be reconfigured to make room for the sliding door. Both the OVs and Lanai rooms will have the noise of the deck and windows being washed very early in the mornings, but for early risers it's not an annoyance like it is for those who might be more inclined to stay up later and want to sleep past 6am.

For quiet, a bigger room and more storage, I'd consider the Insides on LP which are also just a few steps to the outside deck, have a full couch and more storage space. The bow cam on the TV will be your window to the world! I'd take either the Is which are mid-ship, or the Ls which are under the dining room, not a noise issue there. Frankly I prefer aft rooms but that's my personal preference; Maasdam is small enough that everything is pretty close. Just a different approach to think about. Hope you find what suites you. m--

I have not been either of those rooms although I have been in other OV rooms on LP deck Maasdam. The OVs and Lanais on LP are short, so they have a loveseat instead of a couch and one fewer closet than OVs on other decks; and the Lanai cabins have less storage space too, no drawers in the small vanity desk because of the way they had to be reconfigured to make room for the sliding door. Both the OVs and Lanai rooms will have the noise of the deck and windows being washed very early in the mornings, but for early risers it's not an annoyance like it is for those who might be more inclined to stay up later and want to sleep past 6am.

For quiet, a bigger room and more storage, I'd consider the Insides on LP which are also just a few steps to the outside deck, have a full couch and more storage space. The bow cam on the TV will be your window to the world! I'd take either the Is which are mid-ship, or the Ls which are under the dining room, not a noise issue there. Frankly I prefer aft rooms but that's my personal preference; Maasdam is small enough that everything is pretty close. Just a different approach to think about. Hope you find what suites you. m--

Thanks .. it's just a 7 day cruise so i'm not worried about storage and my kids are in an interior. My husband really like light and the ability to see out of the room so an interior is a definite no for him. I'm a little concerned about the noise on deck in the early AM but may pack some earplugs.

I was on the Maasdam twice this year. Once in a Lanai cabin and the second time in an OV at the aft. I never heard any noise in the Lanai cabin (350) even from them washing the decks. As the previous poster has said they do have less storage room because there are no drawers in the desk area but there are drawers at the end of the bed you can use. My OV room (420) was at the very aft facing the end of the ship. I could not believe how much room there was in it. When you come in the door there is a wide space (at least 3 to 4 feet or more) between the closets and the bathroom. I really think it is a lot wider than a regular OV cabin. It is situated under the dining room and there is no noise from there. There is noise of the propellers when the ship is docking but it was not as bad as I thought it might be.

So if you want a cabin with a lot of room I would take the OV aft cabin but the Lanai cabin has enough room and storage (I was on a 30 day cruise in that one with two suitcases of clothes). Another plus is the reserved lounge chairs outside your sliding door and that you can sit on your couch and look out at the scenery without going outside.:)

Looking at galley plans from sister ship Veendam ( find them on a website we cannot discuss but that contains lots of FACTS about HAL), your cabin of interest is under the bakery pantry). I can tell you from experience cabin 390 lines up under the dishwash station😣).

If the bakery pantry is where they make bread in the wee hours of the morning I'm not sure I want to be there.

• 1 month later...

I'm afraid I'm a bit late seeing this, but for anyone's future reference -- I just returned from a cruise on the Maasdam in cabin D366.

I had also read the posts here about noise in that cabin, and those close by (after I had booked!).

We had some noise overhead in the evenings, but pretty sporadic and nothing terribly unbearable. It certainly didn't have any major interference in our enjoyment of the cruise.

I was on the Maasdam twice this year. Once in a Lanai cabin and the second time in an OV at the aft. I never heard any noise in the Lanai cabin (350) even from them washing the decks. As the previous poster has said they do have less storage room because there are no drawers in the desk area but there are drawers at the end of the bed you can use. My OV room (420) was at the very aft facing the end of the ship. I could not believe how much room there was in it. When you come in the door there is a wide space (at least 3 to 4 feet or more) between the closets and the bathroom. I really think it is a lot wider than a regular OV cabin. It is situated under the dining room and there is no noise from there. There is noise of the propellers when the ship is docking but it was not as bad as I thought it might be.

So if you want a cabin with a lot of room I would take the OV aft cabin but the Lanai cabin has enough room and storage (I was on a 30 day cruise in that one with two suitcases of clothes). Another plus is the reserved lounge chairs outside your sliding door and that you can sit on your couch and look out at the scenery without going outside.:)

I'm in 420 on Veendam coming up in a couple of weeks. Sounds like you enjoyed it. I know it's a different ship but should be similar. Did you have any issues?

Smart move. It likely would have been noisy in the other stateroom. We were in stateroom 370 once, and it was difficult since I am a light sleeper

We are not fans.

my not so nice review:https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=588557&et_cid=2974649&et_rid=16786515&et_referrer=NULL