QM2: Is soap still provided in the self-service laundry?

frankp01

Hadn't considered the ship's waste water issues. I'm happy not having to bring the soap. I wonder, however, what folks do that need scent free or hypoallergenic soap (is there even such a detergent?) .

Sent from my HTC 10 using Forums mobile app

I'd be very careful before making any complaints about the laundry detergent provided on the ship. An industry insider claims that the US Coast Guard hates these self service passenger laundries because they see them as fire hazards. (Believe all, part, or none of that statement. Just quoting him.) Since the laundries cost cruise lines money and space, and don't generate revenue, they might welcome any excuse to take them out.

I was in the laundromat once when a lady (dressed in casual clothes, so I assume a passenger) came in and took a bunch of the packets, but she made sure to leave about half in the container. I assume she must have made a trip to all the laundry rooms on the ship (QM2 if I remember) and took half of packets in each room's container.

Oh, believe me. I'm not complaining! I find it amazing that the laundry is free. On our first trip I fully expected a load to be about $4 or $5.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Forums mobile app

Oh, there are many cruise lines that offer a free laundrette.

The one I have enjoyed the most was on Oceania's Riviera. Complimentary drinks chiller, soft seating and Television...

24518192622_7752fcf137_z.jpg

The one I have enjoyed the most was on Oceania's Riviera. Complimentary drinks chiller, soft seating and Television...

Very impressive. So do the passengers still come to fist fights over who took whose washing out the machine without permission - all whilst sipping on a glass of Prosecco of course :D

Sometimes a particular laundry room may be out of soap. So, that may explain why a passenger took some of the soap. It is quicker to resort to that type of self-help than to call and wait for additional soap to be delivered. I don't recall the soap having any particular scent. And yes, there are rude passengers who leave their laundry in the machines for hours.

And yes, there are rude passengers who leave their laundry in the machines for hours.

I don't intend to send my laundry out, and I expect to make several trips to the launderette during the voyage since I only plan to bring about 3 days' worth of casual clothing (including the clothes on my back when we board), but I'm really not looking forward to reliving the days when I lived in apartment buildings with laundry rooms.

... Since the laundries cost cruise lines money and space, and don't generate revenue, they might welcome any excuse to take them out.

Much to the annoyance of some of my friends, Holland America has no laundrettes in their newer ships. They still have them on the older ships, but they are not free: the machines and soap have to be paid for. I suppose there wasn't enough profit to make it worthwhile.

How scented is the provided soap? I have an allergy to many scents so always use a scent free product. Any advice??

None that I've detected but it has been a while. I tend to use the ship laundry service rather than need an anger management class while on vacation. But seriously the clothes do go through a rinse cycle. Anybody with a very sensitive allergy trigger point would probably be unable to tolerate whatever is used to launder the bed sheets, towels and robes.

I tend to use the ship laundry service rather than need an anger management class while on vacation.

I think it would be more accurate to state that I'm going to try using the launderette and see if I end up there.

Apart from the cost, I'm envisioning sending clothing to the ship's laundry and having them returned to me dingy and slightly damp.

I don't intend to send my laundry out, and I expect to make several trips to the launderette during the voyage since I only plan to bring about 3 days' worth of casual clothing (including the clothes on my back when we board), but I'm really not looking forward to reliving the days when I lived in apartment buildings with laundry rooms.

I make no bones about using the laundrette onboard Queen Mary 2 and that comes from someone who travels mostly in the Grills. Neither would I ever be seen dead in the same clothes twice on a trans Atlantic: casual, informal or formal.

Indeed, on a number of crossings I have often had a chat with Mrs Oprey in the Deck 10 laundrette: if it was good enough for her it certainly was for me...

35758606510_1011fcaf9a_z.jpg

In all my time on Cunard (254 nights) neither have I never experienced a laundrette 'out' of detergent.

I make no bones about using the laundrette onboard Queen Mary 2 and that comes from someone who travels mostly in the Grills. Neither would I ever be seen dead in the same clothes twice on a trans Atlantic: casual, informal or formal.

Indeed, on a number of crossings I have often had a chat with Mrs Oprey in the Deck 10 laundrette: if it was good enough for her it certainly was for me...

35758606510_1011fcaf9a_z.jpg

In all my time on Cunard (254 nights) neither have I never experienced a laundrette 'out' of detergent.

If you wouldn't be seen dead in the same clothes twice on a TA, why do you have the need for a laundrette?

Just off the Marina...sister ship to the Riveria...laudry is not free and the drinks were water. $2 per dryer load and $2per washer.

If you wouldn't be seen dead in the same clothes twice on a TA, why do you have the need for a laundrette?

I have no doubt I will wear some of the same clothes more than once. Need room in the case for purchases in NYC and London.

We have 5 days/4 nights in NY before coming on board. Those clothes will need washing - and as on holidays I am the designated washer I suspect I will be using it the first day on board.

Anyone suggest a good time? Or not a good time?