2018 Caribbean cruises not changing (yet)

3rdGenCunarder

I just checked HAL's Caribbean update. Today was supposed to be the day they announced changes in 2018 Caribbean itineraries. As of today, there are no changes, but they advise that changes are still possible. From the website:

"There are no changes at this time on 2018 cruises. We will continue to monitor and should any adjustments be necessary, those decisions will be made closer to the sailing date."

They're still figuring out changes for 2017, so I'm not surprised that they're holding off on 2018 decisions. Some of the ports that are iffy now might reopen by 2018. For example, I'm thinking about Grand Turk. 2017 cruises have had Grand Turk replaced. But with Carnival's money, that port could be ready in a few months, so it's best for HAL to take a wait and see approach. There might not be a lot of tours available, but it could be done as a self-contained beach day. (This could be wishful thinking on my part, as I'd rather go to Grand Turk than to Nassau)

OTOH, nobody knows what's going to happen with San Juan and St Thomas, with so much damage to infrastructure. I expect as time goes on, HAL will be replacing those ports. But their first focus has to be the early cruises.

I actually don’t like this. I have a cruise coming up in January with scheduled stops in San Juan and St Maarten and I would not go on the cruise if they will be stopping at those ports. Just because the port is open does not mean that it should be accepting tourists. And while I have donated to help with recovery efforts, I have no desire to partake in disaster tourism. Hopefully they will alter the itinerary prior to the cancellation date or else I will have to cancel the cruise, even though I really don’t want to.

I'm not so sure I want to visit St. Thomas and/or San Juan when clearly, they will still be in rough shape. I would appreciate the option of changing ships or cancelling altogether.

So, I think it's incumbent on all of us to monitor the situation carefully and see what it looks like just prior to Final Payment....75 days out, I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually don’t like this. I have a cruise coming up in January with scheduled stops in San Juan and St Maarten and I would not go on the cruise if they will be stopping at those ports. Just because the port is open does not mean that it should be accepting tourists. And while I have donated to help with recovery efforts, I have no desire to partake in disaster tourism. Hopefully they will alter the itinerary prior to the cancellation date or else I will have to cancel the cruise, even though I really don’t want to.

I doubt any ship is going to do "disaster tourism." One of the reasons it's so uncertain for the cruise companies is that they have to find out if each port is accessible for the ship and then find out if local activities and their tour vendors are ready to take passengers. If an island is still a disaster area with infrastructure not ready for tourists I doubt a cruise line will take you there.

Given how slowly repairs get made on some of the Caribbean islands, it's likely that ships will be calling at ports where not everything is perfect. I remember a port stop in Grenada 2 years after a hurricane hit and there were still a lot of houses and a church without roofs.

We're all going to have to wait and see and make our decisions at final payment. My January cruise has both San Juan and St Thomas on the itinerary. I doubt we'll get to those ports, but I'll make do with what HAL gives me.

I'm with you DC1979. We may have booked the same cruise as you--January 2018 with stops in San Juan and St. Maarten. I mainly chose this cruise for the stop in San Juan. Even if the ship stops in San Juan, I have no interest in seeing a city that is still devastated from a hurricane--and it will be.

I was waiting until today to see if HAL made a change in the San Juan portion of the itinerary. But since they won't "fish or cut bait", I'm cancelling the cruise and going elsewhere in January.

My husband and I received an email weeks ago specifically stating that an update on 2018 itineraries would be sent to us by today. We've been waiting to see what the changes are to determine whether or not we want to cancel(and yes, there will be changes since we sail the 1st week of January with stops in St. Maarten and St. Thomas). I've been checking my email all day. We received no such email and HAL announced there are no updates 2018 on their site. I'm positive we aren't the only ones waiting on this information. This is unacceptable.

My friends are on NCL in November 2017. They received their itinerary today and these are their ports.

San Juan

St. Thomas

Roseau Dominica

Barbados

St. Lucía

St. Maarten

Ocho Rios

Grand Cayman

Aruba

Bonaire

Curaçao

Hope this helps

I highly doubt that NCL will be going to San Juan in one month. At least I hope not. The island will be struggling for a while just to try to rebuild and get electricity back. They don't need cruise ship IMO.

HAL has substituted it's 2017 San Juan with Cana in D.R. From what I have read on the boards here.

I suspect NCL will be doing something similar and have just not announced yet?

I highly doubt that NCL will be going to San Juan in one month. At least I hope not. The island will be struggling for a while just to try to rebuild and get electricity back. They don't need cruise ship IMO.

HAL has substituted it's 2017 San Juan with Cana in D.R. From what I have read on the boards here.

I think you're right about the NCL cruise. Considering that they haven't even been able to evaluate all the damage on Puerto Rico yet, a cruise stop there next month is not a good idea--not for the passengers, not for Puerto Rico.

My husband and I received an email weeks ago specifically stating that an update on 2018 itineraries would be sent to us by today. We've been waiting to see what the changes are to determine whether or not we want to cancel(and yes, there will be changes since we sail the 1st week of January with stops in St. Maarten and St. Thomas). I've been checking my email all day. We received no such email and HAL announced there are no updates 2018 on their site. I'm positive we aren't the only ones waiting on this information. This is unacceptable.

Of course you aren't the only ones waiting. But what do you expect HAL to do? I'm sure all the cruise lines that have Eastern Caribbean itineraries are trying to figure out what to do. Nobody knows how long it will take to get some of these ports up and running. Rebuilding in the Caribbean is complicated. Everything has be to shipped in. And right now, building materials aren't the top priority. Food, water, and medical supplies are needed now (overdue in some places), and with limited port and airport facilities, those things must take priority.

I can't believe I'm about to use an expression I detest, but here it comes. Our port changes are a first-world problem that pales in comparison to the situation on some of these islands. I'm sitting in my house, which has all of its windows and its roof. The lights are on. I've had a nice dinner. I can get a drink of water or take a shower whenever I want. I cannot imagine what it's like to be in one of the more remote towns on Puerto Rico.

Yes, I'm interested in the port changes. I'm curious to see how HAL handles it. But I'm not going to get upset or cancel if HAL can't tell me the changes right away. I'll have a pleasant cruise on a nice ship, and have an escape from the winter.

We're on the Rotterdam 14 day cruise from Tampa on February 11.

I, too, was expecting updated itineraries today. That's what we were told. They've certainly had time. I would think they'd want a jump start before the other cruise lines grab the available space.

In my opinion, HAL should re-work all their cruises planning to visit islands that have been affected, and assign a new itinerary. The heck with this "wait and see" attitude.

Too much damage for the islands to be any where close to "back to normal" so soon.

I remember seeing the church without the roof in Grenada!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

... Of course you aren't the only ones waiting. But what do you expect HAL to do? I'm sure all the cruise lines that have Eastern Caribbean itineraries are trying to figure out what to do...

Our port changes are a first-world problem that pales in comparison to the situation on some of these islands. I'm sitting in my house, which has all of its windows and its roof...

Yes, I'm interested in the port changes. I'm curious to see how HAL handles it. But I'm not going to get upset or cancel if HAL can't tell me the changes right away...

Well said!!! (y)(y)(y)

Having friends with family on Puerto Rico, it may not be a suitable port even in 2018. From what I have seen and heard, the island may still need major repairs. I think that everyone, even the island people themselves are still in a wait and see mode. As of today, only a small fraction of the island has electricity.

Yes, I'm interested in the port changes. I'm curious to see how HAL handles it. But I'm not going to get upset or cancel if HAL can't tell me the changes right away. I'll have a pleasant cruise on a nice ship, and have an escape from the winter.

We are booked for 17days on Koningsdam in February and includes two visits to Grand Turk and one to San Juan. We are happy to be going on K'dam again and we are not too concerned, at the moment, as to which ports we visit. Although, as others have said, we do not want to be involved in disaster cruising.

That said, being Europeans, we are not in a position to cancel, without losing our deposit.

Also, from a business viewpoint, I wonder how future bookings are holding up? I don't think that I would be prepared to put money down for a new booking for a cruise with an itinerary of badly storm damaged islands.

I only quoted NCL's e-mail that was received yesterday

Having friends with family on Puerto Rico, it may not be a suitable port even in 2018. From what I have seen and heard, the island may still need major repairs. I think that everyone, even the island people themselves are still in a wait and see mode. As of today, only a small fraction of the island has electricity.

I think the news tonight said 10% of the island has had electricity restored. Worse, less than 60% of the people have potable water.

I don't think that any cruise ships will be making stops at heavily damaged islands. It isn't in the interest of the ports, and I'm sure the cruise line wants the passengers to have a good time. I know on San Juan, while many of the old buildings may be standing in the tourist areas, El Yunge the rainforest may never be the same again in our lifetime.