Documentation question

HSFBA07

Hi! My hubby and I are taking a cruise in January. We are sailing through Carnival so they don't require a passport since we are going to Mexico. Anyways, I need my birth certificate for proof of citizen ship. That's no problem, my question is, since I'm married, my last night is different than what's on my birth certificate. If I order a new birth certificate, will it change? I'm not sure how it all works. Thanks!

No, your birth certificate will not change - it will always show the name you were born with. What you need to take is a copy of your marriage certificate - what the cruise lines call a 'bridge document' (showing how you got from the birth name to current name). They may never ask to see the marriage certificate, but the rules say you need to have it.

No, your birth certificate will not change - it will always show the name you were born with. What you need to take is a copy of your marriage certificate - what the cruise lines call a 'bridge document' (showing how you got from the birth name to current name). They may never ask to see the marriage certificate, but the rules say you need to have it.

This

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Welcome to CC! Provided you are a US citizen on a closed loop cruise (leaving from and returning to the same US port) your government issued birth certificate and a government issued photo ID is sufficient. If you are married and you last name is different (and as mentioned it does not change) then you should bring a copy of your marriage certificate.

I suggest you double check with your CRUISE LINE, not the TA. You MAY need passport to ENTER back to USA

If you don't have the documentation needed to get back into the US then you would be denied boarding in the first place.

NO married woman's name matches her BC! They are looking at the birthdate...that's all!

What century are you living in?!?!

My name matches my birth certificate. Always has and always will, and I'm female and have been married just shy of 40 years.

There is no requirement to change ones name when one marries.

Hi! My hubby and I are taking a cruise in January. We are sailing through Carnival so they don't require a passport since we are going to Mexico. Anyways, I need my birth certificate for proof of citizen ship. That's no problem, my question is, since I'm married, my last night is different than what's on my birth certificate. If I order a new birth certificate, will it change? I'm not sure how it all works. Thanks!

What Carnival has to say on the subject: https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/category/~/travel-documentation-and-online-check-in/~/travel-documents/c/406. Click the applicable link then search for "Names on Travel Documentation".

What century are you living in?!?!

My name matches my birth certificate. Always has and always will, and I'm female and have been married just shy of 40 years.

There is no requirement to change ones name when one marries.

Yes - no requirement to, but the majority do

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Miss the ship. Medical emergency and are in the hospital for a few days, will need to get home. You will need the passport BOOK, not the card.

The question was returning to the US "on" a closed loop cruise and the situation you are talking about is returning to the US a different way. While it can happen the odds are extremely low for most people and contrary to what you believe someone recently posted their experience in having a medical emergency in Puerto Vallarta and they were allowed to board the plane with just a passport card. It took them a little time at the airport to find the right person to okay the travel and they had to spend a few minutes in secondary inspection upon landing in the US.

Miss the ship. Medical emergency and are in the hospital for a few days, will need to get home. You will need the passport BOOK, not the card.

You still get home and it is not that much trouble. Don't make something out of nothing.

NO married woman's name matches her BC! They are looking at the birthdate...that's all!

Wrong - on a couple of counts:

a) Eleanor Roosevelt's married name matched that on her birth certificate.

b) They look at more than the birthdate- otherwise anyone could use any birth certificate if it was approximately as old as the person looked.

Why would they need a passport to get back into USA on a closed loop cruise??

Should not.

But if you have to leave early or otherwise return not on the cruise ship, it is very handy to have.

And if you have BC and other ID that do not match, it will make getting a passport outside the US that much harder.

Good Grief, CB. Not every married woman takes her husband's last name especially in this day and age. Haven't you heard that wives are not considered their husband's property anymore! :rolleyes: