Rome hotels pre cruise

djg541

On two TA's from Rome we shared taxi to the port with others who were staying at hotels arranged by HAL. In both cases they were paying more for their rooms in less attractive hotels than we paid for ones we booked ourselves.

Do your homework, check out options, consider doing your own booking - just like arranging ground transportation, etc. you can save money while enjoying some pre-cruise planning.

Definately do your homework on the hotel AND the location of the hotel.

We were in Rome hotel on business and it happened to be one of the hotels used by several cruise lines. Nice hotel but not anywhere near the main tourist areas. I suspect those folks paid the cruise line well over the odds to stay at a nice, but out of the way, hotel.

We had the same experience at hotel in FLL that catered to business travelers and was well out of the main tourist areas. In the morning there were three or four old Greyhound buses lined up to take those folks to ship. No doubt they could have had a hotel in a much more convenient area and taken private taxis to the ship for a fraction of what they paid.

Edited by iancal

Yes, if you are willing to do some research and book yourself, you will get a better-located hotel for a better price than what HAL will charge. From reading Rick Steves "Italy", I found a hotel with a small, but clean and comfortable room with an excellent breakfast and excellent staff in a hotel just blocks from Termini Station. We could walk to many of the major sites (Forum, Collessum, etc.) and use the train to get from the airport into Rome and from Rome to Civitiveccia. We saved a chunk of change!

Do you want to spend a few days in Rome before the cruise, or are you just looking for overnight accommodations? Big difference! There are less expensive hotels neat the Leonardo DaVinci airport, and you can take a fast train into the city for a day.

Someone on a very recent thread mentioned that he was put up at the Savoy Hotel. A clean, comfortable hotel. But a good 20-30 minutes downhill to the Centro Storio, depending on which way you walk (and that means 20-30 uphill on return). That walk is for someone who is able to keep up a good pace. I know - I used to stay as an employee 2 blocks up Via Ludovisi (the intersection of that street an Via Veneto) at the Westin. There really aren't any restaurants to speak of in the area. Every time I've walked past the Savoy, lots of tour busses sitting outside. I know Celebrity has used the Westin - twice when I was there, they had their signs up for people to follow to their meeting spot. I think some have mentioned being put up at the Crowne Plaza St. Peter's- out of the way from anything. On Google Maps, it takes 45-50 minutes to walk to St. Peter's and the Vatican Museums. Even longer for Centro Storico.

Twas I who penned about staying at the suave Savoy on Oct.1-2 before doing the calm Trans Atlantic on the Kdam

I am positive you could have paid less by doing countless hours of research on hotel costs, railway scheds and cost along with getting from the airport to your selected downtown hotel and dragging your wife's 50lb suitcase all over town..

We chose HAL's package cause the Savoy got good reviews (especially the superior rooms) and it was near the Trevi Fountain and the Spanish Steps. The HoHo bus was 300 yds down the St. We never touched our suitcases until we got off the turbocharged tour bus in Civ....

No STRESS no MESS.

Most pre cruise ports are close to town, and we easily make our own arrangements there.

Rome definitely is not the case.

I did had issue as my post states with the late departure time from the front door of the Savoy to the ship. We departed at 11:45 (check out was 10am) and arrived after a hair raising race with maniacal motorcycles and wannabe Le Mans car drivers!! . Arrival at the ship was 1:50pm well after the hordes were allowed on!!

I digress.

Would I do HAL's pre cruise package again. In Rome yes (because of the great distances involved), in Venice or Barcelona no as we have done our countless hours.....and know where to go

Kudos to those who drove a car in or around the Eternal City, you have b....!!

Enjoy

Bob

I agree that you can do better by independently booking your hotel and port-port transportation. We use Rome Cabs for airport-Rome-Civ. Wonderful service, on time, and reasonable - if you can get one or two more couples to share it with you. As for hotels, we have twice stayed at the Hotel Artemide, near the Termini Station. Lovely hotel.

If you are not insisting on staying in Rome head to the port city, Civitavecchia. Nice little hotels, good food and "relatively" easy to get to your ship. (We spent quite a bit of time on a rather winding route inside the port itself.)

And if Rome it must be, here is a second vote for Rome Cabs.

I think that it is very easy to get sidetracked from focusing on the location of a hotel by the name. When people see that the cruise line hotel is a name that they are familiar with, Westin, Marriott, Hilton, Sheraton, etc. I think they immediately jump to the conclusion that this is a great hotel. And they book.

It could well be a great hotel., but it could be a great hotel well outside where you want to be. Maybe the Sheraton Polo in Rome or the Westin Ft. Lauderdale smack beside the I95 without any restaurants in walking distance. Its OK if you are only there for a sleep but not so good if it is a longer stay. We always look at the cruise line hotel offers. More than a few times we have scratched out heads wondering why they picked a hotel 'there'. Then we suddenly realize it is a Friday or Sat night, when this business class hotel has low occupancy and the rates are low. Bingo, that is how the cruise line selected it.

I think that it is very easy to get sidetracked from focusing on the location of a hotel by the name. When people see that the cruise line hotel is a name that they are familiar with, Westin, Marriott, Hilton, Sheraton, etc. I think they immediately jump to the conclusion that this is a great hotel. And they book.

It could well be a great hotel., but it could be a great hotel well outside where you want to be. Maybe the Sheraton Polo in Rome or the Westin Ft. Lauderdale smack beside the I95 without any restaurants in walking distance. Its OK if you are only there for a sleep but not so good if it is a longer stay. We always look at the cruise line hotel offers. More than a few times we have scratched out heads wondering why they picked a hotel 'there'. Then we suddenly realize it is a Friday or Sat night, when this business class hotel has low occupancy and the rates are low. Bingo, that is how the cruise line selected it.

The Sheratons in Rome are awful. They are near nothing. I wouldn't even stay at either of them for the $49/night employee rate... I stayed at the Westin - I couldn't turn down a $89/night rate! I've stayed at the Cavalieri - up on the hills above Rome - I couldn't beat 5 FREE nights! Would I have stayed at either without the employee bennies - no.

For some, seeing that big corporate name is a comfort, that they don't have to research any further.

I did had issue as my post states with the late departure time from the front door of the Savoy to the ship. We departed at 11:45 (check out was 10am) and arrived after a hair raising race with maniacal motorcycles and wannabe Le Mans car drivers!! . Arrival at the ship was 1:50pm well after the hordes were allowed on!!

Bob

Since you've twice mentioned this, I have to ask why you found the depature time so bothersome?

I've stayed in Rome many times pre-cruise and have gotten myself to the port either via train or other private arrangement. I always plan on a half day in Rome prior to embarking, I see no need to rush to the ship. So what if the "hordes" have already boarded -- all the better: I don't have to stand in line.

As I look at it, I will have the next however many days to look around the ship. I only have a limited time in Rome -- I want to make the most of it. :cool: