Budapest to Amsterdam June 2018

Denmal

We are sailing on Viking from Budapest to Amsterdam in June 2018 on the Viking Long Ship Mimir. I am wondering if anyone has experience with this ship. Also, the web site and information does not tell us what time we arrive in each port. When should I anticipate finding that out - any information would be appreciated. In addition, any tips on this cruise and what to do or not to do would be great This will be our first river cruise

All of the logships are virtually identical. Find one doing your route in your direction and you'll have all you information.

You will not generally get port arrival times until the evening before. They change dramatically based on river traffic (there are a LOT of locks on this trip) and the water level.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Forums mobile app

River cruising is not like ocean cruising. Many factors are involved concerning specific arrival times. For example, river traffic may dictate that you queue up at a lock for longer than expected, or the reverse may happen and the opportunity to enter a lock early will dictate the ship’s arrival/departure. You will not be given any specific times until you are onboard and have your nightly briefings. At that time your cruise director will give you a complete rundown of the next day’s schedule.

We were on the Viking Grand European Tour in 2015. It was a great experience. I’m sure you will be very pleased as well.

• 2 weeks later...
River cruising is not like ocean cruising. Many factors are involved concerning specific arrival times. For example, river traffic may dictate that you queue up at a lock for longer than expected, or the reverse may happen and the opportunity to enter a lock early will dictate the ship’s arrival/departure. You will not be given any specific times until you are onboard and have your nightly briefings. At that time your cruise director will give you a complete rundown of the next day’s schedule.

We were on the Viking Grand European Tour in 2015. It was a great experience. I’m sure you will be very pleased as well.

Great point about the arrival times being subject to how long it takes to get through some of the locks. Our boat was delayed several times. The crew and tour guides adjusted nicely and were undoubtedly working frantically on the ship to rearrange and push back a few of our meeting times with the city guides that we were scheduled for. Prior to going on this trip, I had NO idea that we'd be going through around 60 locks. Really cool experience though, with the exception of the one lock we must have banged into in the middle of the night. The entire boat shook and I'm sure it woke everybody. Sort of scary actually. Funniest experience was when all these local people were gathered around the lock on a weekend afternoon to watch the boats come up out of the lock. Must be a thing to do on a nice warm day. People with picnic lunches, etc. Kind of weird to be in the lounge during a presentation and, as we're coming up, we see a couple hundred people all peering down at us from all along the railings (including some actually sitting on the walls with their feet dangling over the edge.....not a great idea).

Edited by three4rd

• 2 weeks later...

Really great information on this thread. We are on the Viking Embla in July doing the Budapest to Amsterdam voyage with another couple and look forward to any further information and advice. This will be our first riverboat voyage after do almost 40 ocean voyages, so we have a lot to learn about this experience.