Gate 1 River Cruise vs Ama waterways

grovesteve

There have been several threads recently about Gate 1 cruises. I suggest you search the form for 'Gate 1'. Quite a few threads pop up. Also read some of the stickies at the top of the forum to get general information on river cruising as well as cruise reviews. Happy planning!

My wife and I have done over 30 ocean cruises, friends want us to do a river cruise. I want to do a Gate 1 because of the price, any input would be appreciated.

There is more than sticker price to consider, IMO. Overall, a river cruise is not an inexpensive undertaking. The devil is in the details and you should look beyond the price tag.

What is included with each line? What are the cabin sizes?

AMA offers a wide choice of included tours in each port.

AMA ships are very well appointed and cabins are a good size. There are two restaurants and a light breakfast and lunch are served in the lounge as well.

We have been on 17 river cruises with 4 lines, 8 with AMA, and they remain our hands down favorite for their excellent staff and crew; very good food; great included excursions options; diverse entertainment and more.

We have not been on Gate 1 and have only walked through their ships. They do not appeal to us.

If you would tell us what ocean lines you've cruised on, we may be able to offer more guidance and information. For instance, if you regularly sail on Crystal and Oceania, Gate 1 may not be your cup of tea.

As Caviar Girl just pointed out, there's more than price to consider. I've done 2 cruises on Uniworld, and both times walked off the ship with next to nothing on my shipboard account. The first time I bought some postcard stamps, and the second time I spend a few dollars in the shop for some earrings that went over my $100 OBC. Tours, tips, transfers, food and alcohol were all included.

Roz

currently on gate 1 monarch baroness Amsterdam to Budapest and 10 years ago did the same itinerary with APT on amadagio.

no complaints whatsoever with gate 1. The entertainment crew are young and fresh yet relate so well with the passengers.

the dining room staff are excellent and the matra d is very hands on and a wonderful example to his staff.

the whole crew just appear to love their work and work as a top team.

can't remember anything specific about our apt cruise to be able decide. We got a great deal on gate 1snd took the gamble and so very happy. We will definitely be looking at gate 1 for our future cruises.

about 25 ocean cruises and our fav is celebrity.

My wife and I have done over 30 ocean cruises, friends want us to do a river cruise. I want to do a Gate 1 because of the price, any input would be appreciated.

We cruised with AMA Waterways this fall, Basel to Amsterdam, and I only have awesome things to say! We have done many ocean cruises so this was our first river cruise. By far the best experience we’ve ever had. First rate all the way, from accommodations, food, excursions to service. 5stars all the way.

currently on gate 1 monarch baroness Amsterdam to Budapest and 10 years ago did the same itinerary with APT on amadagio.

no complaints whatsoever with gate 1. The entertainment crew are young and fresh yet relate so well with the passengers.

the dining room staff are excellent and the matra d is very hands on and a wonderful example to his staff.

the whole crew just appear to love their work and work as a top team.

can't remember anything specific about our apt cruise to be able decide. We got a great deal on gate 1snd took the gamble and so very happy. We will definitely be looking at gate 1 for our future cruises.

about 25 ocean cruises and our fav is celebrity.

Tara Jane

I have been watching for your posts about the Gate1 river cruise. I hope you write a review when you get back.

Hi Blue,

Walked in the door 9 hours ago exhausted after 10 weeks travelling. Have been saying "that's it" for at least a couple of years but after a shower, few loads of washing on the line, a nap which was meant to just be an early night until one of those solar relemarketers phoned and woke me up, where do I find myself??? on cruise critic looking up cruise deals. Think I might just meet the cruiseaholic criteria.

Had a great time, I am not really a review person though I love reading them. Give me a few days to adjust and i'll do something while it is fresh in my mind. Totally happy with everything gate 1 other than departure morning was chaotic and disorganized but that happens most cruises anyway.

Hi Tara Jane

Please sleep it off for the next few days. Perhaps I should start thinking of any questions that I have.

You may wish to put yourself on the 'do not call' register. This is done via the internet these days. We put ourselves into n the register about 8 weeks ago and all has been peaceful ever since.

It is definitely worth it financially to go solar, but the telemarketers are NEVER offering a good deal. If you wish to research solar, there is a site called solarquotes that provides excellent info and quotes from quality firms.

Thanks,. slept all day til 6 pm so feel better, hope i can get back to sleep and into some sort of normality soon.

we have been on the do not call register ever since it was first set up. Have found from time to time we have dropped off it and had to re register but supposedly now it is not necessary and I have checked and we are still on it. some companies just totally ignore the register. When it really gets to me I report them and it goes quiet for another 6 months or so til it all starts up again. Usually solar and real estate.

Have solar and son is a real estate agent so no need for either.

Good idea to start thinking up the questions, highly recommend river cruising but its so totally different to ocean. I had emphasized that to our group but i think it was still a bit of a shock just how different it is.

We enjoyed the MSC cruise but not sure I would do another unless the price is too good to pass up. The itinerary was great, price even greater, food in buffet area excellent, dining room so so. The passengers were my biggest issue. The manners we have been brought up with are just not applicable in all countries, I found it very difficult to control myself at times and have to admit to growing wings at times in order to prevent the pushing and shoving that was going on, not only on the ship but also at port stops. We had 104 on our gate 1 of which 54 aussies. More later when I can think properly.

We have bought the 'Berlitz River Cruising in Europe 2016-17' guide.

Chris is reading it understand river cruising better. He has mentioned that Gate1 does not seem to be included in the book though.

Edited by Blue Elephant
Correct spelling

• Members

More Gate 1 coverage:

Gate 1 vs Viking: https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=3099

Full review of Monarch Empress: https://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=1222

I’m not surprised that Gate 1 is not in the Berlitz book. River cruising is a relatively new offering for the tour company, at least on its own branded ships. From what I’m hearing, though, it’s a great value-oriented product.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums