Choosing a San Francisco hotel?

Adventure mom

Hi

I am trying to choose a San Francisco hotel for 3 days post cruise. I booked the Stanford Court but am thinking of switching to courtyard by Marriott downtown. I am wondering which is better for me and my 11 year old for sight seeing and transportation to the airport. I am hoping to go sightseeing to Muir woods, the painted ladies (full house), Alcatraz and ride a cable car.

This is my first time in San Francisco.

Thanks for any tips. We will be there end of August.

Haven't stayed at either so can't comment on the hotel itself. Either location looks fine. Personally, I would stay as close to Union Square as possible. The painted lady's isn't all the great and the park across the street that gives you the best vantage point was all fenced off when we were there in June. But I totally understand going there, we had to take the eight year old granddaughter. Book your tickets to Alcatraz early otherwise you might not get the times you want. If you can do it consider the night tour. I haven't done it yet but it seems pretty spooky.

You will want to study the SF Muni & BART maps and figure out what mode works best for where you want to go. There are buses, trolley, street cars, cable cars, and BART. To/from the airport I would taxi or UBER.

Hi

I am trying to choose a San Francisco hotel for 3 days post cruise. I booked the Stanford Court but am thinking of switching to courtyard by Marriott downtown. I am wondering which is better for me and my 11 year old for sight seeing and transportation to the airport. I am hoping to go sightseeing to Muir woods, the painted ladies (full house), Alcatraz and ride a cable car.

This is my first time in San Francisco.

Thanks for any tips. We will be there end of August.

I have actually stayed in both, albeit my stay at the Stanford Court was some time ago. We've stayed at the Courtyard for a few reasons--primarily because my daughter used to live in SOMA and it was close, but also to attend a game or two at AT&T Park.

Stanford Court is on Nob Hill--one of San Francisco's traditional top neighborhoods it is convenient to Chinatown and to the Financial District...and the Cable Car runs right along California Street.

The Courtyard is in an area known as SOMA (South of Market). This area used to be considered an industrial slum. Very undesirable. But, in the last several years, it has undergone a resurgence. Lots of upscale office and residential buildings, the ball park and some trendy restaurants. On one occasion, we flew in and did not get a car...and were able to take BART from SFO and walk from the BART Montgomery Station. You can't walk up Nob Hill from BART! The hotel itself is modern and very nice. OTOH, there is really little for the tourist nearby.

My first choice were I a cruise passenger would still be the Fisherman's Wharf area...But, were I to choose between Nob Hill and SOMA, I'd probably take Nob Hill--bringing me closer to tourist attractions...For overall convenience, I also like the Hilton Financial District over on Kearney St.--fewer hills to climb.

Good luck...

Edited by Bruin Steve

Thanks for the advice Steve. I think I will probably keep our reservation at Stanford Court. I looked at fisherman's wharf but the hotels were just out of budget. I think it will be fun staying up on the hill should have a good view of the city.

Looking forward to exploring San Francisco this summer.