Caribbean Christmas on Carnival Vista...What to Wear? (First time cruiser)

travelmomof2

Caribbean at Christmas...what to wear? Purely summer? Totally casual? Resort Casual? 'Elegant Nights'?! Is it really that warm?! lol

As a first time cruiser I'm feeling a little overwhelmed at the idea of what clothes to pack. I'm typically a carry on only type of girl (as is my husband and two teens) but we are casual, a bit lazy and I'm a weirdo that likes to escape to a local laundry for solo downtime.

So on the Carnival Vista, at Christmas, typical wear is? Do evenings cool down? Is there a self serve laundry? They say there are two elegant dining nights but don't say what days (I'm assuming the two at sea days but that's just a guess) Are ship interiors cold at anytime that would require a sweater or pants? Looking to get a larger suitcase just for this trip...if anything for the fact that I have to pack nicer dresses.

(Repost from First time cruiser board per suggestions to post here)

For the most part, the weather should be warm. You can get an idea for the specific islands you visit by searching on weather channel for the average weather. Depending where you port out of (Example Galveston)...the first and last day at sea may be cooler and wetter than expected.

You WILL probably need a sweater for the ship inside events. Some venues are cooler than others.

On Carnival, the cruise elegant night is optional and you can wear pretty much anything on that night EXCEPT shorts, flip flops, not sure about the jeans. Used be a no go, but now, I know that on regular dining nights you CAN wear jeans.

You will over pack on your first cruise, it is a right of passage!

The easiest way to have everything you need (2 swimsuits)is to look at your port activities and lay an outfit out for each. Then do the same for what you will wear for dinner...and you can wear the same thing, or part of it, the following day around the ship. I always take about 3 pairs of black pants for dinner, add misc. tops, and send the odd pair out for ship laundry. Well worth the $5.

Bring a small travel size emergency medical kit. Tylenol & cough drops are expensive on the ship. And if you have something that disagrees with you at dinner the previous night...you don't want to ask for immodium.

Most importantly...double check everyone's ID. And when you get in the car...locate it again.

I always sail on Christmas. I wild suggest bringing what you would take to a resort in the summer. But add a couple of cardigans to throw on. I bring maxi dresses for night time.

As far as elegant night i really dress up in a long elegant cocktail dress.

I always suggest maxi dresses if you don't want to be dressy. You can wear bejeweled flip flops to dress it up

Hi, I'm on your cruise! So looking forward to the Vista for Christmas.

It is my understanding the first formal night will be on Christmas. As other posters have mentioned, how dressy you want to be on elegant night is up to you.

There are self serve laundry machines on the Vista so your plan to just carry on and do laundry is totally doable. We always carry on about 4 days worth of clothes and then take some downtime to do laundry half way through the cruise.

I agree with everyone here. Vista is leaving from Miami this year right? I know it will be in Galveston next Christmas. That being said, I would bring a shawl or wrap for the theaters, dining rooms and sometimes out on the deck at night. It is not cold outside but sometimes windy. I agree that maxi dresses are nice for the evening and they pack well as they are usually light weight. There are laundry facilities on board that come in handy and also ironing board and iron if you need that. Elegant night is usually the first sea day (night) which is usually day two of the cruise and another two nights later, mostly on a port day (night). Christmas cruising sounds like fun, we are going for thanksgiving but I want to do a Christmas cruise too. Maybe next year when vista comes to Galveston.

Sent from my iPad using Forums