Bon Voyage from X but cruise was cancelled

HokiePoq

Our millenium cruise 5th Jan 2019 has suddenly disappeared from the website but they haven’t contacted us at all. I know it’s way out but will be so disappointed if it has been chartered. How long does it normally take before they get in touch if the worst has happened?

Is this something common with celebrity to cancel a cruise to charter it for someone else? I’ve never heard of a cruise doing that before. Makes me a little nervous to book a cruise with them

Every cruise line I am aware of charters their ships. For the most part they are chartered a year or more before the sailing; before airfare is open for booking limiting the non-refundable costs.

A couple of years ago our cruise from Shanghai to Vancouver was cancelled because of a charter. Unfortunately, it was after most folks had purchased air and hotel. Then at a later date X announced that the ship would cross the Pacific at a later date but from Yokohama instead of Shanghai. We were able to adjust our travel plans but many people could not. No compensation was offered.

I suggest you wait and see if there are further developments.

Is this something common with celebrity to cancel a cruise to charter it for someone else? I’ve never heard of a cruise doing that before. Makes me a little nervous to book a cruise with them

It is not unique to Celebrity, it occurs across the entire industry.

It is not unique to Celebrity, it occurs across the entire industry.

I’ve never heard of that before, it’s terrifying. If they cancelled my honeymoon cruise I would be screwed I wouldn’t be able to get new dates and would have no idea what to do.

It doesn't happen often and when it does it is generally announced more than a year in advance so you won't have unchangeable air reservations to bedevil you.

Cruise lines are not the only ones to make such changes, airlines can, and do, change aircraft so that you suddenly are booted off the smaller substitute plane. Hotels overbook. Trains go on strike.

This is not to terrify you but only to point out that travel has no guarantees. But then, neither does staying home.

With Celebrity I have had two cruises canceled in the last 15 months and one future cruise on the Equinox shortened by 3 days for charters. I booked the Infinity for 4 days to make up for those lost days and am thinking that it will be canceled because it isn’t selling and there is a period blacked out after that cruise so it may be going in for a short dock and could go in early.

Happy cruising 🌊🛳🇺🇸🌞

I booked a charter once that had a very active roll call. At the time, several posters said I was crazy and didn't know what I was talking about because they called customer service and were told it was still on. I was just trying to give them a heads up. Took multiple weeks to finally get the official word out to the passengers.