QE - Gym Equipment

rakkor

Does anyone know the type of bike in the QE gym ? I know there's a couple of recumbent ones and upright ones, but I seem to remember there being some quite professional looking Wattbike type bikes as well.

Also has anyone done the Spinning classes aboard, I was wondering if the instructor pushed it or whether it was a bit relaxed ?

I'm off to the Canaries in a couple of weeks and there are only a couple of treadmills I can use, at 6'6" I end up banging my head on the ceiling on all but the very end ones. Also it can be pretty hairy running along only to find yourself in mid-air, so treadmills in anything but a flat calm are a bit of a worry and I reckon the first 3 days out will be a bit lumpy across the Bay of Biscay. So I fancy doing a bit of biking to off-set the calories.

There's one spin bike in the right hand corner of the gym in addition to the ones by the entrance to the gym (guess used for spin classes in morning). I used it a couple of weeks ago, can't quite remember what brand it was, but it's your usual (i.e. fixed flywheel) type. It's got clipless (SPD) pedals as well as toe clips if you have cycling shoes.

I've not done a spin class on board (was tempted as I normally do 2/3 spin classes a week, but 0830 or so was a bit too early on holiday!). I'd take a guess that it's probably not too difficult.

With you on the comment re treadmill. I did a 5k on one whilst we were going through the Bay of Biscay. I nearly came off twice - not a pleasant experience!

My husband is a keen cyclist and said he found 1 bike in the gym that was good ( he is away until Thursday so can get more detailed info then)

He did sign up for spin class (15 dollars ) he was the only one there and said it was very tame so didn’t sign up for any more as did no one else

Hope that helps :)

My husband was very impressed with the bikes in the QE gym. They are Trixter X-Dreams and retail at about £6000. (We know that because he thought about buying one till he saw the price.) He was training for Mount Ventoux at the time and was able to train on the simulator for an hour each morning so got to know the course quite well.

Like ukellie's husband he did one spinning class and didn't bother again.

BTW we took our bikes with us on our med cruise. Just saying... xx

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There is a scale, but it's next to useless unless in port, the ship's motion makes it vary quite a bit, so you can't get a consistent reading

Thanks for the replies regarding the X-Dream and the spinning classes - I wonder if I can connect my Garmin Edge to it to record my workouts?

There is a scale, but it's next to useless unless in port, the ship's motion makes it vary quite a bit, so you can't get a consistent reading

Thanks for the replies regarding the X-Dream and the spinning classes - I wonder if I can connect my Garmin Edge to it to record my workouts?

My husband records all his exercise on his garmin when he is exercising on the gym bikes

Sent from my iPad using Forums