Celebrity Infinity South America in March 2018

Maggiewooey

We have provisionally booked the Celebrity Infinity cruise from Buenos Aires in March 2018. We are thinking of staying on for the cruise from Santiago back to Fort Lauderdale. Looking for advice from anyone who has done the return to Florida leg. Worried that there are too many sea days and the two cruises back to back could lead to cabin fever. Has anyone done these two B2B cruises.?

We have provisionally booked the Celebrity Infinity cruise from Buenos Aires in March 2018. We are thinking of staying on for the cruise from Santiago back to Fort Lauderdale. Looking for advice from anyone who has done the return to Florida leg. Worried that there are too many sea days and the two cruises back to back could lead to cabin fever. Has anyone done these two B2B cruises.?

We did this B2B a few years ago and enjoyed both legs. The second leg has some interesting ports, notably Lima and Cartagena, and of course you have the Panama Canal transit. As for sea days, that’s a matter of personal preference but I find them very relaxing and usually would like more rather than less. I’d do this cruise again in a heartbeat if I didn’t have so many unfulfilled bucket list cruises to do.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We did the Valparaiso (Santiago) to Ft. Lauderdale cruise in March 2009. What we liked about this cruise was the schedule of sea and port days worked out very nice. Almost the entire cruise, it was port day, sea day, port day, sea day, etc. It allowed us to have a very busy port stop, and then have a full day to relax before the next busy port stop. A perfect compliment of port and sea days, at least for us.

1. As far as I can tell, this will be the very last opportunity to do the b2b you describe. In March 2019 we will do the b2b from BA, but we will be on the Eclipse rather than Infinity, and ending in San Diego rather than Lauderdale.

2. The ports and sea days along the way are worthwhile. And the Panama Canal!

3. I find it difficult to comprehend the notion of “too many sea days.” But do note that you will have multi day excursion opportunities off the ship, e.g. a trip to Machu Picchu which would replace sea days from Chile to Lima or something like that.

4. If we weren’t already committed to Galapagos for next spring, I would probably be doing this b2b with you.

Enjoy!

Stan

We did the Santiago-to-Fort leg on the Infinity in 2004. So, we did not do the B2B. However, we met many who boarded in Buenos Aires. I'm sure that it was not coincidence that 100% of them were European (English and German). I've always said that the Europeans know how to vacation. In addition many of them planned on spending more time in Florida. Our dinner table mates (English) were renting a condo for two weeks.

I don't remember the number of sea days as being excessive. In fact, because the ship was experiencing a propulsion issue we completely missed a stop (Ecuador) in order to make sure we hit our slot for the Panama Canal, and, so, we had an extra sea day.

Somebody mentioned lecturers on the cruise. On our cruise a former U.S. Ambassador to, I believe, Colombia gave four or five lectures. This guy was fascinating. While he was ambassor the embassy was attacked by revolutionaries of some sort. He and the embassy staff were held hostage. Totally coincidently, I had just finished reading Bel Canto prior to this cruise. Clearly there were parallels between his experience and the fictional book, but he insisted that the book's story did not come from the incident that he experienced. He was superb on Q&As. While he was retired from government service, clearly, he was still wired in.

I don't know if my story really helps the OP. I hope so.

Have you looked into the ROLL CALL for the cruise you are holding? You might also check in on the roll call for the second leg. What theya re discussing might help you decide. If you are not familiar with ROLL CALLS, they are a place here at CC where you can connect with other CC members who are on your sailing. Here is the link to your provisional March 4 cruise:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2291562

Here is the link to the second leg, which you are considering:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2291563

EM

Edited by Essiesmom