New Cunard Ship coming in 2022

omah1975

It doesn't just need to be named after a Queen of England, could be after a Queen of Great Britain or a Queen of Scotland. But after a Queen of Great Britain, regal or consort, would make most sense.

Good point. But I fear you make a small mistake when you say what "would make most sense". Remember, it is ultimately Carnival Corp to do the naming. If it would help them sell more seats it could be "Queen Latifah". Come to think of it, she might make a fun Godmother to the ship.......;p:cool:

It doesn't just need to be named after a Queen of England, could be after a Queen of Great Britain or a Queen of Scotland. But after a Queen of Great Britain, regal or consort, would make most sense.

The current Queens are already named after Queens of the United Kingdom as it has been 'united' since 1601 when Queen Elizabeth 1 died. Not sure many English would be happy with a Scottish Queen as they don't currently seem to want to continue being part of the 'United Kingdom'!

I agree with most views here that think that the structure, as it is portrayed at the moment, is top heavy at the front. Hopefully the powers that be will listen and realise this.

Cunard is quite unique in the World of cruising nowadays, having committed to a more formal feel both in looks and ambience, and it would be a great shame to lose that.

Personally I would love her to be named Alexandra, but I may be a little biased - it's my name! :D

Of course, it's all speculation until actual plans are laid down …. no need to comment on a computer-generated image. As for names, I would like to see a 4th Cunard Queen ship … names? I can think of ELEVEN good ones …. Start with Boudica ? Berengaria? Anne, first monarch of a united Great Britain?

A pre-conquest queen? Bertha? Eadgifu ? Matilda? Because of the play I like Eleanor (of Aquitaine)! Philippa? Caroline? The nine-day Lady Jane Grey? Alexandra?

How about a Queen Camilla? Like the lady, this ship is desperate to be a Queen, but the public just aren't so keen on it.

After all, it is entirely possible that she will be Queen (unless the separation, pending divorce rumours are true) and Charles will be King in 2022.

Remember that the original Queen Mary was meant to be called Queen Victoria, after 'England's greatest and most loved queen'. But Mary, Queen at the time, mistook the Cunard director's allusion as being about her. And so Queen Mary was launched. Can just see a similar mistake occurring...history does often repeat itself.

I know this is a bit early but how would one get on the maiden voyage of a new Cunard ship? Did any of you sail on the maiden voyage of the QV or QM2. Is it just a case of watching and booking early? I'm sure there would still be lots of "bugs" to work out on the first trip but how exciting would that be! As Rose Dawson said, "the china had never been used, the sheets had never been slept on".

Harold

I know this is a bit early but how would one get on the maiden voyage of a new Cunard ship? Did any of you sail on the maiden voyage of the QV or QM2. Is it just a case of watching and booking early? I'm sure there would still be lots of "bugs" to work out on the first trip but how exciting would that be! As Rose Dawson said, "the china had never been used, the sheets had never been slept on".

Harold

Actually, the china and sheets will have been used prior to the maiden voyage as workers will be on board for its sailing from Fincantieri to Southampton. In addition to trials of seaworthiness, there will still be final fittings being put in place and other pre maiden voyage activities. Plus you may also find a short weekend dockside 'cruise' held for travel agents and media to write glowingly about the new apartment block...er...fourth Cunard ship.

I couldn't care less what they call her. What I dislike, intently, is that there will be no traditional boat deck. Instead, like the "KDam" it will be a narrow little walkway sandwiched between the superstructure and a towering, continuous bank of lifeboats resting flat on the deck rather than carried overhead in davits. No view of the sea. No traditional steamer chairs. Nothing. You'll be lucky if two people can walk abreast. The lovely walkaround boat decks are one of the delights of the Vista Class and on QUEEN ELIZABETH, last month, it was the one saving grace of otherwise dismal open decks.

And of course, this is a ship designed by Carnival's penny counters so you will be sharing it with about 1000 more people than the QUEEN ELIZABETH and QUEEN VICTORIA.

Not encouraging. But that's cruising nowadays. More. Less.

Isn´t that a great thread- a new Cunard Queen- just got the E-mail yesterday. I wrote Queen- because I am pretty sure they will name the new Cuanrder after a Queen or Queen Consort. I opt also vor Alexandra- since that is the only Queen Consort from the last Century who´s name were not used to name a Cunarder!

Hi,

Considering that the new ship is not scheduled to enter service until 2022, there is still time for Cunard to modify the plans. Hopefully, they will add a real promenade, eliminate some of the excessive forward decks, and reduce the capacity. Because this ship will be approximately 13,000 tons larger than the Koningsdam, there should be plenty of differences between the new Cunarder and the Koningsdam.

Under the current information, the new Cunard ship will be the same size and have the same capacity as the Crown Princess/Emerald Princess/Ruby Princess. These are nice ships, but they are not known for their spaciousness. I hope that Cunard reduces the capacity of the new ship.

Chuck

A long time to go- quite right- so there is hope that Carnival Corp will adjust their plans. A Cunarder without a propper prommenade deck- that will not do at all- at least not for me. Should they stick to their plans- well there are still three other Cunard Queens to choose from! One would get used the top heavy bow- but no pormmenade deck with those great deck chairs... hm- I suppose many many loyal Cunard guests would be very very dissapointed!

Sometimes I do feel these companies make a point... a real effort... to get rid of precisely the features and amenities that I like best. First Holland America Line and now Cunard. And Cunard worse, as it didn't use a single piece of real teak on any of the open decks of QUEEN VICTORIA and QUEEN ELIZABETH. Now, no proper boat deck. And additionally, no sea views from any of the public rooms on that deck, either, as the lifeboats will completely block that except at the extreme ends. Oh well, QE and QV are now "instant classics" in comparison.

Harold

We were on QM2's MV. As soon as they announced she was to be built, I had my Travel Agent contact Cunard and put us on the waitlist for the MV. A couple of years later we were told when it would be and how much we needed to pay them.

Isn´t that part of the fun- speculating about a new Cunarder??? So early in the process everything is possible. If the Carnival Corp peole are wise they will stick to the features that make the current Cunarders so popular- and that is a PROPPER PROMMENADE DECK! I appreciate that they are no longer allowed to use that amount of real wood. Even Aida ships have a deck above the life boats where one can walk or sit outside!

As much as I like Celebrity´s Solstice Class - inside they are stunning ships- I avoid them because of the lack of a propper prommenade deck- which makes the sun deck overly crowded and one can hardly find a nice calm spot to sit and read, without beeing disturbed by loud blaring music all over the place! Awfull!

If the Carnival Corp peole are wise they will stick to the features that make the current Cunarders so popular- and that is a PROPPER PROMMENADE DECK! I appreciate that they are no longer allowed to use that amount of real wood.
I'm pretty sure Holland America's Vista ships have a teak promenade. Cunard's omission was more about cost.

Trivia question ... I note the statement from Cunard about this new build mentions this will be “the first time since 1998 that we’ll have four ships in simultaneous service”.

How many ships were in similtaneous service within the Cunard fleet when it was at its largest?

I do not know the answer to that question so I would be interested to learn what the answer is from our many Cunard historians on this forum.

This will be its 249th ship in its history. My guess is the boom times for simultaneous service would have been the years leading up to WWI and the interwar period where they picked up the likes of Berengaria as war reparations. They did operate a large fleet post WWII through various subsidiaries focused on mainly cargo as they wound down their traditional passenger routes.

Given that Carnival are looking at 3000 passengers, the ship will also need the 'biggest ballroom at sea'.

The Queens Room on Big Band Ball on QE in August was completely crammed every night, the thought of adding a further 1000 passengers to a similar size floor to that of QV an QE would be put anyone off sailing on her for life.

Trivia question ... I note the statement from Cunard about this new build mentions this will be “the first time since 1998 that we’ll have four ships in simultaneous service”.

How many ships were in similtaneous service within the Cunard fleet when it was at its largest?

I do not know the answer to that question so I would be interested to learn what the answer is from our many Cunard historians on this forum.

There is a list of the Cunard fleet past, present and future on their Wikipedia page here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cunard_Line

As to what the new ship should be called (or not) I would think that Queen Anne would be one of the favourites, I sincerely hope that Queen Camilla is not chosen. Changing the subject slightly, the press release put out yesterday has this quote "Distinct Cunard signatures and brand new experiences will combine as part of this next generation of the Cunard fleet" in it, so what brand new experiences would anyone like to see on the ship? As I said in the thread I started a while back about a possible successor to the QM2 when the time comes, one of the features I have seen on another ship that I have really liked are the Virtual Balconies on Anthem Of The Seas. I'm in a wheelchair so need a wheelchair accessible cabin, the first cruise I ever did was a westbound transatlantic crossing on the QM2 and we had a cabin with a porthole and I couldn't really see out so since then we have always chosen an inside cabin (this also saves money) so having the Virtual Balcony on the Anthem Of The Seas made it feel just that bit more special to me.

Still working on this but you only need to go back to the mid-nineties to find twelve ships.

In 1976 finds they had 74 (although only three were passenger ships) with a further 4 under construction.

If I find a higher figure I'll let you know.

Colin.