Viking Star hit by a ferry in port of Barcelona

steamboats

Thanks, Carmen!

This is Bing.com's translation:

--Headline--

A ferry crashes into a cruise ship in the port of Barcelona

The incident has not caused injuries and has occurred when the first ship docked after arriving from Tangier.

--Article--

A ferry has collided first thing this afternoon in the port of Barcelona against a cruise while carrying out the docking manoeuvre, as revealed by a recording broadcast by the Dockers of the facility. None of the passengers on both boats have been injured or affected by the incident.

The incident occurred around 14.00, when the ferry Fantastic of the company Grandi Navi Speedi, coming from Tangier, has collided against the Viking Star Cruiser, which was docked in terminal B of the port, as confirmed by a spokesman for the Port.

This source has indicated that this collision is "very atypical", given the good visibility of today, but it is still unknown whether this incident is due to machine failure or a human error. The port qualifies the shock of "very slight", although it is "evaluating if there is any material damage".

Gosh, and we were on the Viking Star in Barcelona just about a fortnight ago! Never would imagine something like that would happen. Hope everyone is alright.

Won't blame the captain of the Viking Star if he is angry. He tries always to be so careful, and whenever there was some wind at some ports, he was so cautious and sometimes tend to avoid them (quite rightly so). And now this other ship knocked into his beloved ship. It is a bit like someone who is proud of his lovely car, kept it pristine, kept it parked safely and then another car knocked into it !

Edited by Gnoelj

We're on the Star now. I hope you can see the photo in the post above. I haven't figured out how to combine photo with text in one shot when posting from my cell phone. Anyway, we have a cabin that is way forward. When I woke up this morning I took a photo of the Fantastic. She was docked parallel to us on the other side of the harbour.

When we left for our shore excursion about 1 pm we noticed that Fantastic was moving position and that she was really close to the Star. I didn't think anything of it given that the harbour was full of other ships as well so of course maneuvering could possibly be tight.

When we came back to the Star at 4:30 pm after a day out, I noticed that Fantastic hadn't left the harbour but was now docked not parallel to us as previously, but rather parallel to the bridge.

We didn't even know anything had happened as we--like the majority of passengers--weren't even on board at the time of the incident. A waiter we are friendly with told us only people on the lowest decks felt anything. A few balconies (Explorer Suites) we've damaged but it wasn't damage that prevented us from leaving according to schedule.

We've sailing towards Marseille in rocky seas right now. It's Rock A Bye Baby tonight!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Dear Deirdre/ dln929,

Thanks for keeping us updated with the news and pic. (with so many Cruise Critic members worldwide, we probably get more up-to-date on-the-spot news than anyone else!)

And safe journey to Marseilles.

We know about the rocky seas on the Med on the Viking Star. Just pretend you are a bit drunk and dancing and that just about describes the feeling (for us anyway).

Edited by Gnoelj

Look at the slight ripple in the aft balcony on deck three.

Yes, we see it alright. That's quite interesting.

By the way, how do you manage to send pics to the board on CruiseCritic.com ?

We tried to look for instructions to do so but could not find it anywhere.

Look at the slight ripple in the aft balcony on deck three.

4b31cca74d56d8745f7be79ebba60569.jpg

Deirdre,

Thank you for posting the information and picture of the damage to the Star. It brought back good memories of our Istanbul to Barcelona cruise. It was our first cruise with Viking and was on the Star in the fall of 2015. We were also on the stern of the ship, Deck 3, except we were in the starboard twin to this cabin. Your picture shows the damage to the port corner of the very large wrap-around veranda in front of the bathroom. The window shown is just above the deep soaking tub. Nice view when at sea but recommend that you pull the shade before bathing in port!😉

Yes, we see it alright. That's quite interesting.

By the way, how do you manage to send pics to the board on CruiseCritic.com ?

We tried to look for instructions to do so but could not find it anywhere.

I have the Cruise Critic app on my Android cell phone and after I've logged in, I attach a photo in exactly the same way as I would if I were using FB messenger, Whatsapp, Viber, etc. I wasn't sure the pics would actually show up to tell you the truth! Here's a photo of the old port in Marseille that we saw on our included tour today.

daa5ca560f60955229810ef2277093b7.jpg

I have the Cruise Critic app on my Android cell phone and after I've logged in, I attach a photo in exactly the same way as I would if I were using FB messenger, Whatsapp, Viber, etc. I wasn't sure the pics would actually show up to tell you the truth! Here's a photo of the old port in Marseille that we saw on our included tour today.

daa5ca560f60955229810ef2277093b7.jpg

The picture is wonderful!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Viking Star docking near Rome March 13, 2018

Looking to share private tour of Rome including Vatican and Collesium .. and so much more. Up to 8 people.

Let me know if interested:)

Edited by Jmgonyer
Add photo

Viking Star docking near Rome March 13, 2018

Looking to share private tour of Rome including Vatican and Collesium .. and so much more. Up to 8 people.

Let me know if interested:)

You will have better luck if you post your message on the Roll Call for your sailing, here...

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2389433