Are the aft-facing DV1 rooms desirable?

flyfisher44

I'm about to book a cruise on the Viking Sea, and I've noticed that half of the DV1 staterooms are on decks 3, 4, and 5, sandwiched between the Explorer Suites on the stern, with balconies that must give you a very good view of where the ship has just been. Can someone who has stayed in one of these cabins please tell me how they liked it? Is it a good location, or not so hot?

These cabins have a small piece of the best views on the ship. There is a reason why most of the largest and most expensive suites are on the back. The front of the ship has many problems that don’t exist on the back.

Take a chance, you ‘lol love the wake views of these cabins.

Actually, the aft DV1s, on all decks, are the most expensive DVs, not the cheapest. The balconies are larger. They do have the wake view, and we love having a wake view. We have sailed in many aft balcony cabins on other cruise lines, can't afford it on Viking! To each his own!

• Like 1

We love aft cabins and had 5110 on a Viking Star West Indies cruise. We didn’t have much opportunity to enjoy our aft view because it was a very port intensive cruise. It was very quiet and had very little through traffic.

I would not choose it again on a port intensive cruise. On the other hand, if there are many sea days, I’d grab it.

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

Cruzzinma - would you mind giving a little more info? We are booking the Dec. 2019 Panama Canal cruise - we are holding 5111 and my husband is concerned that the pool above may be an issue (spilling over, no sun, only shade....). Would love your thoughts. It is a 15 day cruise with several sea days. We do like a wake view, although never stayed in an aft cabin. If we don't go with it, we will probably pay a little extra and go for the penthouse veranda mid-ship. Thanks!

It is a 15 day cruise with several sea days. We do like a wake view, although never stayed in an aft cabin. If we don't go with it, we will probably pay a little extra and go for the penthouse veranda mid-ship. Thanks!

I answered a slightly different question over the past day or two.

5110 was very quiet. There isn’t any through traffic except for people in the aft cabins. We did not hear noise from the pool deck. There was no “pool spillage.” The pool water that cascades is totally self contained so there is no runoff the back of the ship.

Although I can see it in the pictures, I don’t even remember the overhang. The balcony was extremely sunny in the Caribbean. It seemed like we always faced west when we were docked.

Motion and wind weren’t issues for us on that cruise either of which can be a problem in an aft cabin, depending on the itinerary.

We love looking at the wake and you’d certainly have a birds eye view of the canal transit.

The veranda cabins are a decent size and the bathrooms are fantastic for a veranda cabin. We are cruising on the Sky in March 2019 and we booked a PV2 midship because it is a port intensive cruise.

You can’t go wrong either way.

• Like 1

I answered a slightly different question over the past day or two.

5110 was very quiet. There isn’t any through traffic except for people in the aft cabins. We did not hear noise from the pool deck. There was no “pool spillage.” The pool water that cascades is totally self contained so there is no runoff the back of the ship.

Although I can see it in the pictures, I don’t even remember the overhang. The balcony was extremely sunny in the Caribbean. It seemed like we always faced west when we were docked.

Motion and wind weren’t issues for us on that cruise either of which can be a problem in an aft cabin, depending on the itinerary.

We love looking at the wake and you’d certainly have a birds eye view of the canal transit.

The veranda cabins are a decent size and the bathrooms are fantastic for a veranda cabin. We are cruising on the Sky in March 2019 and we booked a PV2 midship because it is a port intensive cruise.

You can’t go wrong either way.

I can't thank you enough for that very thorough answer! Enjoy your March cruise!

• 2 weeks later...