Viking Sky

Karen Lynn

I need an opinion?

Deck 5 midship or is aft ok?

I'm often concerned about vibrations ..

This is for a transatlantic crossing

Thanks!

We did cabin 5021 on the SKY for 2 weeks without any vibration or other problems. That is a bit forward. Entertainment is forward and food is aft. Good luck!

Thanks all!

We are in 5013 right now in slightly rough seas (resulting in the cancellation of both Jamaica and Grand Caymans and addition of Nassau). And yes - we do feel the sea here. Hit some very rough seas during the night as we transited to Cartagena - enough that some like me were woken up by it. The advice I've heard is that 2/3 of the way towards aft is a good place to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've never actually encountered 'vibration' on any ship other than our recent riverboat trip. I'm much less concerned with vibration / noise than I am the degree of pitch and roll. That's why I always try to be as mid-ship as possible. Actually, I see I incorrectly stated that I'll be on deck 6 - my room is on 5. The higher the deck, the more motion experienced.

We were in 4106 which is toward the aft and never felt any kind of vibration.

We will be in 5106 on our TA in March.

As close we could get to the aft at our price point. I love being in the aft of the ship, or end of the hallway, less foot traffic.

I quite like aft but have definitely experienced vibration from the engines on a few .. Disney Dream and Celebrity Centiry for a couple. Some on Oceania Insignia as well...especially in the dining room.

OH, I remember the Century and the vibration!. My first cruise was in an inside across from my friend's huge SV aft veranda on the highest deck. I thought that was standard and part of the ambiance of cruising. LOL

I fell in love with cruising on that sailing.... :hearteyes:

OH, I remember the Century and the vibration!. My first cruise was in an inside across from my friend's huge SV aft veranda on the highest deck. I thought that was standard and part of the ambiance of cruising. LOL

I fell in love with cruising on that sailing.... :hearteyes:

Ha - dredged up my TransAtlantic crossing at age 5 lol:eek:

Ha - dredged up my TransAtlantic crossing at age 5 lol:eek:

Be thankful it's not a quad with double bunks close to the engine room so you can feel the engine thrum-thrum-thrumming thru the night. That was my experience on Carnival #1 in '78 (very early days of the Carnival Cruise Line). I was 25 and found myself rooming with 3 other women - complete strangers to me btw - who were let's say my current age and looked upon me like their daughter. [emoji16]

Amazing stories! I must say I've never encountered any vibration within any cabin on an ocean cruise ship. Assuming you're referring to actual vibration within the room? I know on the riverboat sometimes the bathroom door, if left ajar, would shake and rattle so much I don't think I would have ever gotten any sleep unless the door was closed. But then often the vibration came right through the floor (and we were on the highest deck - can't imagine what it might have been like on the lowest - especially since someone said these vibrations on riverboats are often caused by scraping over the rocks?? - somehow find that hard to believe).

The memories of cruising at a young age make for neat stories! Don't have any of those myself, having not cruised until I was in my 40s. Unless perhaps reserved for the very wealthy, the thought of ocean cruising wasn't exactly something that came to mind for most of those like myself who grew up middle-class in a center-city row home in the mid-50s. The typical vacation, at least within my family, was more like going to the shore for a week, or to the Pocono Mountains for some boating. Then again, I didn't know a single soul among my friends who ever talked about having been on a plane either. I didn't do that until I was almost through college. The thought of cruising or flying somewhere would not have entered my wildest imaginings all the way through High School. Different world today.

Edited by three4rd

Amazing stories! I must say I've never encountered any vibration within any cabin on an ocean cruise ship. Assuming you're referring to actual vibration within the room? I know on the riverboat sometimes the bathroom door, if left ajar, would shake and rattle so much I don't think I would have ever gotten any sleep unless the door was closed. But then often the vibration came right through the floor (and we were on the highest deck - can't imagine what it might have been like on the lowest - especially since someone said these vibrations on riverboats are often caused by scraping over the rocks?? - somehow find that hard to believe).

The memories of cruising at a young age make for neat stories! Don't have any of those myself, having not cruised until I was in my 40s. Unless perhaps reserved for the very wealthy, the thought of ocean cruising wasn't exactly something that came to mind for most of those like myself who grew up middle-class in a center-city row home in the mid-50s. The typical vacation, at least within my family, was more like going to the shore for a week, or to the Pocono Mountains for some boating. Then again, I didn't know a single soul among my friends who ever talked about having been on a plane either. I didn't do that until I was almost through college. The thought of cruising or flying somewhere would not have entered my wildest imaginings all the way through High School. Different world today.

Don't think we're that different. I grew up in very modest circumstances. Did a nearly cross country plane trip in the early 60s in turbo prop planes (4 legs each way) with my Mom to visit her Dad (gift from him btw). Didn't fly on a jet aircraft until my last year of college.

Doing that cruise when I was 25 was the result of a number of things: a windfall of $$ from a failed first job (sad story), a landlord who knew a travel agent who was trying to round up enough people to go on a cruise so he could travel free with us (yes - he was a bit of a sleaze), Carnival busily drumming up business offering fares low enough that folks like me - if I was willing to do the most basic accommodations (quad cabin where you could hardly swing a cat) - could afford it, and me needing to repair a year that had started out simply miserably (was 7 months into job #2 by then).

And yes - this was not a new ship - the Carnivale had been the Empress of Britain - so it had teak decks etc. I was convinced the engine room had to be on the other side of the wall from my top bunk. I could feel its vibrations. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RMS_Empress_of_Britain_(1955))

Don't think we're that different. I grew up in very modest circumstances. Did a nearly cross country plane trip in the early 60s in turbo prop planes (4 legs each way) with my Mom to visit her Dad (gift from him btw). Didn't fly on a jet aircraft until my last year of college.

Doing that cruise when I was 25 was the result of a number of things: a windfall of $$ from a failed first job (sad story), a landlord who knew a travel agent who was trying to round up enough people to go on a cruise so he could travel free with us (yes - he was a bit of a sleaze), Carnival busily drumming up business offering fares low enough that folks like me - if I was willing to do the most basic accommodations (quad cabin where you could hardly swing a cat) - could afford it, and me needing to repair a year that had started out simply miserably (was 7 months into job #2 by then).

And yes - this was not a new ship - the Carnivale had been the Empress of Britain - so it had teak decks etc. I was convinced the engine room had to be on the other side of the wall from my top bunk. I could feel its vibrations. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RMS_Empress_of_Britain_(1955))

Interesting story to be sure! Funny about the sleazy TA too. With the advent of college kids routinely doing things like spending a semester (or more) abroad, global jetting has become so commonplace anymore among those age groups. Additionally, with younger kids - and the (in many cases anyway) demise of the 'nuclear family', it seems likely that you have the younger set flying hither and yon to visit divorced parents. Then, you have the business people who fly ALL the time. Amazing to overhear some of the conversations about the travel schedules of some of these people. For many years I flew on commuter (mostly business people) flights - not as part of my job - but to go to an out-of-state physician, and it just seemed so odd to hear guys talk about being in Mexico the day before, now over to Europe someplace for the next week or so, then over to India for a few days, and so forth. Heard a guy once mention that he 'commutes' from PA to Mexico every day for work!