Would you recommend a 2-night pre-cruise extension in Oslo?

Hi,

We're planning on a Northern Lights cruise with Viking. They offer a pre-cruise extension in Oslo. The cruise departs from Bergen, and so the 3rd morning of the extension we would fly to Bergen to board the ship. So this extension is not as convenient as one that takes place near the departure port. If it's worthwhile, though, then we'll probably take it. We've never been to Norway, so perhaps we should do it. Thanks for any suggestions....

Taking a look at the Viking itinerary, it looks like it's almost entirely in the far north (Bodø, Narvik, Tromsø, Alta) along with Bergen and Stavanger. That makes sense, since the focus is on trying to get a chance to see the Northern Lights, and the band of auroral activity centers over Tromsø.

There's enough to see in Oslo that you can fill two days, especially if you're there early in the year when the daylight hours are short. However, I would recommend that you consider this a chance to see "Oslo" rather than to see "Norway." As the capital and largest city (by far, though it's still tiny compared to most European capitals), Oslo is significantly different from the rest of the country.

And even with the Oslo pre-cruise add-on, you're skipping over the most famous bit of Norway, the western fjords. If you choose the fjord cruise in Stavanger, you'll at least get a small glimpse of what makes Norway famous. While Oslo and the Arctic areas are both lovely, they're not home to that iconic fjord scenery.

If you're willing to venture out on your own a bit, you could still spend a day or two in Oslo, but then instead of flying to Bergen, take the Norway in a Nutshell tour between the two. This involves the scenic rail line between Oslo and Bergen along with a side trip to Flåm on the famous Flåmsbana mountain railway and a ferry sailing through Sognefjord and UNESCO-listed Nærøyfjord. It's a great way to get a sample of Norway's famous fjord scenery in a short amount of time. (And PorterService.no can take care of transferring your luggage for you if you don't want to carry it en route.)

Thanks for this information. The only thing that would concern me is having all our luggage along during the "Nutshell tour" if indeed we'd start in Oslo first, although I see you mention porter service. The thing with that is, unless I'd also add a hotel in Bergen before the cruise starts, I highly doubt that the porter service would want to deliver our luggage to the ship. Just sounds like it could be a bit awkward.

While I'd love to see other areas besides where the cruise goes, I'd also like to keep things as uncomplicated as I can with regards to any pre or post-cruise experience. It does indeed seem a shame to not have more fjord viewing on this trip, so let me consider what you are suggesting.

I suppose another option would be to arrange a multi-day pre-cruise hotel with Viking at Bergen and then do the Nutshell tour from there, departing from an arriving back in Bergen, but then that would most likely eliminate the chance to see Oslo. Like I said...starts to perhaps get complicated.

Maybe the best thing would simply be to see what we can see while in Oslo during Viking's pre-cruise package and perhaps save the most well-known fjords for another trip during a warmer season.

Edited by three4rd

Saving the fjords for a separate trip is a great option! :)

But if you think this will be your only trip to Norway, I would spend one night in Oslo, do the Nutshell trip, and then spend one night in Bergen. I love Oslo (obviously, since I decided to live here), but Bergen and the fjords are both well worth seeing and a bit more unique.

Kaisatsu,

How great to get some feedback from someone that lives there! I really appreciate it. The only thing with spending only one night in Oslo is that Viking's cruise extension package is for two. I'd have to work the whole thing on my own and probably arrange all transfers. Your suggestion about the Nutshell tour sounds fantastic...just not sure how complicated it might make things. I believe another trip is in order at some point - perhaps one that would also include other places we've not been to yet along with a greater fjord experience. Always more to see.

Saving the fjords for a separate trip is a great option! :)

But if you think this will be your only trip to Norway, I would spend one night in Oslo, do the Nutshell trip, and then spend one night in Bergen. I love Oslo (obviously, since I decided to live here), but Bergen and the fjords are both well worth seeing and a bit more unique.

I strongly second this. Oslo is pleasant enough but the rest is spectacular.

Several friends highly recommended the train between Oslo and Bergen as a great way to get a taste of Norway. Our cruise ends in Bergen and we decided to take the train to Oslo and fly home from there. Like you, we worried about managing luggage on the train and CC members came through with info on Porter Service (PorterService.no) It sounds like Norway is an easy country for self travel.