Questions about Alaska cruise Glacier Bay

lovevacadays

It doesn't matter which side you are on you go in turn around and go back out. I would pick starboard side, best view of glaciers as you turn and proceed out. In June take good foul weather gear, it is the rainy season.

Technically - it rains all summer in Alaska but June is traditionally dryer compared to July-September.

We loved the Promenade deck. Following suggestions on these boards, we went all the way forward (you go up a short flight of stairs) to a covered deck (important if it happens to be raining) that wasn't very crowded, where we could easily see both sides of the ship as it rotated. Our weather was so glorious (although it was very cold early in the morning so we were in our down jackets to start with), the Commodore actually rotated the ship twice. After lunch (great seafood buffet that day), we went back to our port balcony cabin to enjoy the views as we left Glacier Bay. We enjoyed our balcony because we were blessed with beautiful weather all week. (The main reason we pay extra for the balcony, however, is because I get seasick really easily and need to be near fresh air.) There are many places on the ship to enjoy the views without paying for a balcony.

enhance

We loved the Promenade deck. Following suggestions on these boards, we went all the way forward (you go up a short flight of stairs) to a covered deck (important if it happens to be raining) that wasn't very crowded, where we could easily see both sides of the ship as it rotated.

Beautiful picture by the way.

Do these directions work on the Coral?

We are on the Emerald Deck -far forward - so this sounds like a great place for us, but I am not sure if you are referring to the Ruby .

We are on the Emerald Deck -far forward - so this sounds like a great place for us, but I am not sure if you are referring to the Ruby .

You can go to the Promenade deck on the Coral Princess for viewing. I can't remember if it goes all the way but it is definitely most of the way if not all the way around.

The Coral Princess has some other good viewing areas if you are properly dressed. The Baja and Caribe deck (I believe these are the two) that if you go to the very front (past all the rooms), there is an entrance to the front viewing area under the bridge. The door says "crew only" but they seem to let people out there on Glacier Days and Panama Canal days. I even asked the crew and they said it was fine. If you go out there make sure you have proper head, ear and neck protection as it is windy but the views are just as good as from the bridge (but outside). It is windy but amazing. The Coral Princess also has some public areas in the back of the ship that are also good when you are leaving the glacier days. If you look pictures at the back of the Coral Princess, you will know what I am talking about.

The commentary broadcast on the TV in your stateroom and on the open decks is usually based on the port side view.

So even though you will sooner or later see it all from a starboard stateroom, the commentary will not match what you are seeing.

I agree with the others who said the best view is on an outside deck, especially since you can easily switch from port to starboard as you wish.

The ship is in Glacier Bay for most of the day. It really doesn't matter where you are; the ship will pull up to several glaciers, do a 360 degree spin and then head off to another. We've watched whales on the side of the ship opposite the glacier. On a more sober note, I've heard of ships not entering Glacier Bay in June due to ice flow.

We upgraded to a balcony last minute because there was a price drop. While it was nice to have a balcony, it was not a deal breaker not to have one. In Glacier Bay, we went to one of the upper decks and stayed there most of the day even though we had a balcony stateroom. Having a 360 degree view is spectacular and it’s nothing that can be afforded from a regular balcony. If we go back to Alaska, we would probably book an Oceanview stateroom unless the price difference is minimal (and in Alaska, it’s almost never the case).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Every year for the last 12 years we have cruised up to Alaska the first part of June. There hasn’t been a lot of kids on the ship. The weather is very unpredictable. We’ve been up there when it was 40 deg. and raining sideways and we’ve been there when it was 70 deg. and sunny. Be prepared for both types of weather. I hate to say this but a balcony is pretty much a waste when cruising up to Alaska, It’s pretty darn cold out on the balcony. We’ve gotten a balcony cabin a few times, upgraded by Princess. We like to go up on the upper decks, hangout and watch the action. We book an obstructed view cabin on Emerald deck. Some of the obstructed cabins aren’t obstructed much. You can look at the view from the cabins at this web site. https://sites.google.com/site/cabinviewbyrenmar/ We try to get cabin E632, E633, E701 or E702. If it was up to me I would get an inside cabin but someone has to have some natural daylight. We just booked a Emerald for the June 10th sailing out of Seattle.

Thank you for the advice about the balcony! We have 3 inside rooms booked and I've only ever cruised with a balcony (or small obstructed balcony.) Already I'm missing not having one but hearing that you spend most of the time outside on the upper decks or promenade makes me feel better! Now I just have to get over the fear of being completely closed in without being able to look out to see where we are :'):'):'):')

I am going to give a different thought based on our experience.

We had been to Glacier Bay on a previous cruise (in a suite with huge balcony) plus to Alaska by RV twice so decided because of the cost to try an inside room on the Golden to Alaska. For us it was the worst mistake ever.:') Not only did we feel like we were in a closet despite having the TV on WebCam the upper decks were so crowded at the rails in Glacier Bay that we could not take pictures plus it was raining. With a balcony we could have taken pictures with the slider open and stayed out of the rain. Our pictures from lower decks are the better ones. The ship turns while in the bay so you will get a view of the entire bay plus it will depend on the ice in the bay how far the ship will enter thus how close you will be to any calving.You will always have the option to visit the outside decks no matter what type of room you have. Maybe you could get a balcony near the 2 inside rooms?

Have a great cruise no matter what you choose.

On the Ruby, the small open deck on Lido forward is an excellent place to be on Glacier Bay day. Most folks don't find it, so it wasn't crowded at all in September when we were there. It's not covered, and it was raining. We just put on rain gear, grabbed our umbrellas and went for it. Easy to walk side-to-side when the ship rotates.

It was impossible to take a bad picture that day! Yes, we were on the Ruby.

(It looks like Coral already answered your question about the Coral!):)

Deck 7. Promenade is excellent for GB viewing. Parts are covered if weather cold or raining. We are in balcony always for fresh air and light; on GB Day, I was mostly on 7.

Some like Skywalkers where the Rangers have an exhibit and talk throughout the day. crowded

There is nothing better than sitting on your own balcony and watching the scenery. Enjoying your coffee in the morning and lunch in the afternoon. Keep your camera and binoculars handy you can see plenty of wild life. And views are breath taking.. We did the cruise last June and was fantastic, a bit cool, but no mosquitoes ...

Thanks. I think we are going to get an obstructed view cabin instead of a balcony as the price difference is several hundred dollars different so we will use the money we save for excursions.

We are still deciding on either mid to late May or first week in June. We are looking at the Ruby Princess 7 days out of Seattle.

My wife and I are taking our very first cruise and first time to Alaska as well. We are on the Ruby, taking the May 19th sailing. We also selected a full obstructed view on deck 8. We've seen pictures of the views from these rooms and they don't look bad to me.

FYI - The RT Seattle trips do NOT go to Glacier Bay --- they typically get into Tracy Arm fjord IF the ice conditions permit.

I'm signed up for the Ruby, RT out of Seattle and the itinerary is: Seattle, Sea Day, Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay, Ketchikan, Victoria, Seattle. From reviews and youtube videos in 2017, the Ruby did sail into Glacier went to the end, turned around and headed back out again.

You will not want to be in your room looking out the window on GB day. There are better viewing areas if you want to stay inside. You probably know that.

Hi Coral. Thanks. We plan on being on deck. We decided on an obstructed view instead of a balcony because we plan on being on deck to enjoy the beautiful scenery. :)

Hi Coral. Thanks. We plan on being on deck. We decided on an obstructed view instead of a balcony because we plan on being on deck to enjoy the beautiful scenery. :)

It is a great way to save money on the ship and then re-allocate that money to excursions.

FYI - The RT Seattle trips do NOT go to Glacier Bay --- they typically get into Tracy Arm fjord IF the ice conditions permit.

Not true! The Ruby out of Seattle and returning to Seattle does indeed go through Glacier Bay and I'm booked on it.

I hope so I'm booked too, leaving in May....:D:D:D My first return after sailing on Dawn 20 years ago......BTW...no kids on that cruise ...oh except DH & I...;p