Live diary from the Regal Princess - Jan 14-28, 2018

lor74

Apparently some people are posting that new coffee cards on the Grand and Regal are now being issued with specified expiration dates. That is why I posted my prior post. Any input from those who have received coffee cards with specified expiration dates would be appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Forums mobile app

The weather was excellent for a sea day. Dinner was at the buffet, and the exercise had me famished! I started with a salad that had around 15 ingredients, and that was followed by a plate that went out of control...I am sorry for the graphic content that will follow...I know some will not like the smorgasbord on the plate, and others might not like the pound of flesh [emoji12]. The beef tenderloin was very good!

a6fc05059cc30e6538474dfa332d4075.jpg

1c557a3fe8324a2459caeead48e9f772.jpg

f0d87b0ffdd58128a3f940ed9e99dace.jpg

We then decided to try and get into Live for the 8pm comedian. At 7:20pm was the mad dash for seats...we didn't get lucky and moved on to the theatre....no luck there either as we didn't want to sit in the front. We ended up having a seat in the atrium, and watched the end of the champagne waterfall, then moved to Crooners and listened to the full set of Mary Simon.

Tomorrow we meet at 8:30am for our excursion.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are also on this cruise and so far enjoying every minute. Much to my surprise we were sent to the Medallion area for embarkation and we have the ocean medallion. So far it has worked quite well and everyone knows who we are when we get close to them. Went to Alfredo's last nite and they greeted us by name just by seeing our pix pop up for the Medallion!

Super entertainment music in the piazza after boarding and the food in Alfredo's was terrific. Love our cabin (Lido deck) and really enjoyed watching Churchill before bed last nite - great movie about the days before the invasion. Our cabin steward is Ranjit and he is awesome.

Glad to hear the Lido deck was a good choice for you. We booked a mini-suite there for an end of March sailing. I had an inside cabin years ago with my daughter and loved that we were close to pools and eating.

The coffee card that I purchased Sunday Jan 14 on the Regal expires December 31, 2018. They are still allowing me to use my old cards. Seems like they don't even bother to read them to punch once they see that you have a card so I don't know how much difference having that date will make!

This morning I called for room service at 6:50 AM........no delivery by 8:30 AM and they didn't answer the phone either........don't know what the issue is/was but I do know that I am not nice without my coffee!!! We gave up and went to the buffet. Very hot and humid in Ocho Rios and it is not a "handsome port".

Our excursion was supposed to be from 9-1, with a meeting time of 8:30am. It took quite a while to actually get to the bus and start the falls trek. We only had coffee before leaving the ship. I must admit that I have never actually seen any footage of the falls, and did not realize how literal the "walking up the falls" was! I am glad that I rented a locker and put everything in there including my phone & wallet. The walk was amazing, and was completed by a young couple that was with us who got engaged at the top...there was no way they weren't buying the $40 DVD! From there we went to Dolphin Cove, which was underwhelming. After that they took us to a shopping area and wanted to stay for another 40 minutes....hell no, bring us back please. 1.5 hrs late was already enough for us. We have our CG meal tonight, and both quickly grabbed something light to eat....4 cheese pizza slice for me. I really enjoyed walking up the falls, but I would not recommend the rest of the excursion unless maybe you wanted to upgrade it on site and swim with the dolphins.

I am going to relax now until dinner...think I am getting my first ever porterhouse [emoji33]

efec308f5e19b8ece6af43658accfcb0.jpg

1dc41e543118e3d69db4c1d42c43daa5.jpg

014602fc67842a5844441dad6f73bf1f.jpg

42274412c8cd803d3674b5578a8d7590.jpg

Yes, that pic was taken this morning

Enjoying your live report! Thanks for taking the time to do it!!

Surprised they are not doing Jamaican flair food tonight, at least jerk chicken? Maybe they figured people would get that ashore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The night at the CG started out well. Soup, shrimp, salad...all good.

16a1f84f7fcbb3e1e415d697317b11ae.jpg

48ea285926eaa902db110e9107b6f7b0.jpg

d33d038cd9c1a8176d8a837566e4df25.jpg

When the main courses came out, the night turned sour very quickly! I was being bold ordering my first ever porterhouse. 4911786252c8f10d0f09dc873fbf76fd.jpgRo was getting the lobster as she always does. I was aware of the $10 fee for additional main courses, but was not aware that it applied as well to individual tails if lobster was your main course. This pathetic, chewy morsel is what came to her.

74c7a06b3e3027de22b9be274dbe3821.jpg

In an instant her birthday meal was ruined. The waiter & maitre'd did offer to get her something else, but she lost her appetite. I took a few more bites of my cow and we walked out. After fifteen years of eating in the CG, I do not know if we will go back (she is a pescatarian...no steak for her).

A sorry end to a good day [emoji22]

We have had some of our best meals ever in the Crown Grill, as well as the worst meal ever. It is sad that the CG can be so hit and miss.. I dont think I would have eaten that Lobster if they paid me $10.00, let alone charged for it. I am almost to the point of just calling it quits on CG and doing the UBD every cruise. I have never been other than amazed at the service and food quality of the UBD.

Really appreciate you sharing your cruise with us.

The lobster didn't look so great, but how was the porterhouse? I realize it wasn't a good night due to the lobster. We have a gift from our TA for the CG on our Feb 25 cruise on the Regal and I will not be ordering lobster. I have read that many people like the filet from CG, but porterhouse has always been my favorite cut of steak.

I am so sorry for you and your wife for this disappointing experience. I suggest that you call or go to passenger services this morning and explain what happened. I called them yesterday when my room service breakfast never showed and they contacted room service and the manager called me, and my room service this morning was arranged by her.It arrived promptly this morning.

I hope that your day goes better today!

I am not surprised that the captain just announced we are skipping Grand Cayman. The seas are rough and the forecast is wind. They cannot tender, and we are going straight to Cozumel. We were not getting off....hopefully we will find some sunny skies en route

ae5a4ab557cb9efc9345977097d792b2.jpg

The porterhouse was good. Not only is it the first time I have not ordered the filet in the CG, but it actually the first time I have ever ordered a steak with a bone [emoji491]

Early morning snack delivery

979c1dbce375a4d5f1e28e8d1cd117ac.jpg

Did you complain about your experience in the CG? I think you should. They need to take responsibility for what comes out of that kitchen. No self respecting Chef would let a plate like that lobster go out. At a minimum, they should remove it from your bill. Better might be to invite you back to show you what they really can do if they pay attention.

Edited by Liz54
punctuation

If there is one thing I have learned in my 30 years of running fine dining kitchens as an Executive Chef and spending the last 10 years as a restaurant consultant is that unfortunately, and no matter how well you are trained, mistakes are made in kitchens. However, I also tell my clients as a consultant (and your post is a good example) that someone can enjoy your property many times and have great experiences, but if you screw up that one time, well, you may have lost them for good. The culinary world walks a fine line in the love/hate relationship!! I'll be eating at CG twice next week so hopefully the experience will be better (I wouldn't have lobster anyway)! More importantly I hope you have no more bumps on the journey. Thanks for the posts and have a great day at sea.