Called MSC Head Office Today

Guest Anorak33

Guest Anorak33

and spoke to a charming fellow in International Reservations.

He spoke excellent English but was unfortunately not able to help me with my enquiry about booking Lirica's Transatlantic 27th December as:

"we are all so very busy in the office with the Mediterranean cruises and December is too far away - we know nothing about anything for this cruise"

Does anyone have an ordinary phone number for the Fl office? Not a 1800 number as I am presently in Europe and unable to use that.

Statendam

QE2 (x2)

Regal Princess

Golden Princess

Royal Princess

Big Red Boat

Guest Anorak33

Ok - so no one knows the phone number - so I tried emailing them a couple of days ago.

Guess what - no answer yet

And they don't seem to be in the online phone book

(MSC is but they are a computer company)

How can they sell cruises with this sort of inertia?

And how can this forum survive with so little input?

For the answers to these and other questions - watch this space.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest alexMD

My TA is trying to quote me on a new year's cruise. It was 6pm eastern time and the office was closed.

Believe me, based on my experiences with store hours during my many trips to Italy, this is "a true Italian Signature".

Guest Anorak33

Alex I would say reading your other post about smoking that maybe you wouldn't be happy on a European ship mixing with Europeans so maybe you should look elswhere anyway.

Guest alexMD

Anorak,

I was merely commenting on the differences in work hours and customer service practices between the US and most of Europe. What I think you fail to appreciate is that 1) CruiseCritic caters to an overwhelmingly North-American audience; 2) MSC is trying to make inroads into this market; and 3) Americans are NOTORIOUSLY undereducated, as a whole (and this may be an unfair overgeneralization -- in which case I apologize), regarding non-American customs, cultures, and geography.

Because of these three points, my feeling is that it is VERY important to make clear to CC readers important cultural differences that they may not understand.

We have already discussed different cultural approaches towards smoking. I tried to keep the discussion value-neutral. Personally, I don't think smoking is good for you, and second hand smoke is definitely a nuisance if not a health hazard. But as a visitor to Europe, I don't expect the Europeans to snuff their cigarettes when I walk into a restaurant. After all, when in Rome - do like the Romans. However, your approach, which downplays what I feel to be significant differences, will merely mislead CC readers and possibly create unhappy travelers.

With respect to the office hours issue, I would hazard that 90% of CC members would expect to be able to shop 24 hours a day, to be able to reach most of their services on line or by telephone from early morning to late at night, and to be able to book a cruise or reach a cruise line customer service center beyond 5pm. This is a culture where the consumer is king.

I was trying to explain, or inform, in a brief manner, that this is definitely NOT the Italian way of doing things. Most Italian businesses that I deal with keep fairly early hours, and most of their customers are not accustomed to being able to call at any hour of the day. Again, if MSC is trying to break into the US market, it is important that they either let their American customers know precisely what to expect in terms of availablity and office hours, OR to open a US Customer Service Center with typical US hours.

Anorak,

Again, if MSC is trying to break into the US market, it is important that they either let their American customers know precisely what to expect in terms of availablity and office hours, OR to open a US Customer Service Center with typical US hours.

MSC is doing just that. It was announced that the headquarters for N. America will be in Ft. Lauderdale. It will take a little time to get things up and running, but be assured it will offer typical US hours and be competitive.

Ernie

Guest Anorak33

Hi Alex - obviously we worry about different things when we visit each other's countries.

You worry about secondhand cigarette smoke and posted that :

"However, your approach, which downplays what I feel to be significant differences, will merely mislead CC readers and possibly create unhappy travelers."

I really would not wish to do that.

We tend to worry about people carrying (and using) guns - which generally does not happen much in UK - and which should not happen on a cruise ship even with Americans on board - should it?

I suppose they could take them on board in their checked baggage?

Does it happen? HAs there ever been a shoot out on a cruise ship?

Guest alexMD

Anorak,

I respect your opinions, but I am getting the impression that you are arguing far off topic, just for arguments sake.

Rather than continue this, let's just say that I give up and you win. OK? You can now enjoy having the last word, because I've said what I intended to say.

Guest Anorak33

My apologies Alex if I hit a nerve there - its not a contest on here you know, nor is it an argument just an exchange of opinions, at least as far as I am concerned.

Sorry also that I got off-topic there - but don't worry I won't be starting a new thread on what is apparently such a sensitive subject. I was genuinely just interested in what you - or anyone else - might have to say.

MSC's US reservation office is still located in New Jersey. Check their website to see if there is a non-toll free number listed.

Better yet, why don't you just have your ta do all the work for you?

I think when people go on vacation they usually do have "I'm gonna shot somebody" mindframe... Although I imagine technically they could but it in their checked baggage - but there may be random screening - like at airports.... I haven't heard of any shoot outs yet - at least by passengers... I know there was a hijacking a while back someone was shot and thrown overboard along with their wheelchair... :-/ Take care!

~Christina~

Archived