Crystal Mahler V7D07 Nov 1 - Nov 17 2017

swn4

Seen - docked side by side this morning in Budapest right beside the Chain Bridge:The Mahler AND the Mozart! Mozart is like a double wide in comparison.

Budapest Port details:

Akadémia Port- N47.50066 E19.04566 (enter coordinates into Google Maps to see exact location of dock)

Also funny story, the restaurant called to ask if we could dine last night instead of tonight because ‘a big group was booked for tonight’. I now realize the big group may be Crystal because the restaurant(Costes Downtown) is one of the Michelin dinner choices!

So looking forward to boarding the Mahler tomorrow. We have already met 2 other couples on the cruise at the Hilton Budapest.

578770561de557eba36be93b58f21e54.jpg1ef765f2712bf971d3a6d095782273b4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Interesting to see that the Crystal Mahler also has a Crystal Mahler II at the back. Interesting looking Crystal Mahler III too!

Now you see why the Mozart feels so spacious. That width really make a difference on board.

You should be having a great time on board the Mahler with Neal Fullerton. The Mozart is off to Vienna to pick-up for full contingent of Broadway musical actors for a special Playbill charter.

Edited by JohnKen3

I thought all river boats are basically the same width because of the locks. What am I missing?

There's a stretch of the Danube with wider locks [or no locks] so Crystal Mozart is limited to that itinerary. But the ship is amazing, and round trip Vienna is also very appealing.

This morning when we arrived at the dock @11:45, the Mahler had switched places with the Mozart and Mahler was now closer to the shore. So, we entered onto L2 and the Mozart guests had to walk through Mahler’s L2 to get to their ship instead of us. Mozart left in the afternoon so I am not sure whether we will see the Mozart again on this cruise.

For branding reasons, I hope that Crystal is able to use a Crystal branded gangway instead of a Viking one in the future.

As there was no-one stationed at dockside until about 12:15, we pushed our own bags on board and had our photos taken (a quick affair although not as organised compared to an ocean cruise). We went to Palm Court for a champagne before heading to Waterside for lunch.

I checked out the laundry and the gym - both are very small. I suspect that there won’t be much socializing in the laundry room as it is just too small. There are only 2 pairs of Miele washers and dryers. You have to throw in a detergent capsule (no auto dispenser here!) and press the “Lock” button to open the washer/dryer door. I must say the printed ‘how to’ directions are not the clearest.

After lunch, we went to our room and we are impressed! A king sized bed faces a huge floor length window. If I had not read the tips from the GoldenGateCruisers on the Bach, I would never have figured out how to open the window!

There is a small walk-in closet with slanted shelves for shoes. We had a lot of space leftover after unpacking.

The room has a Nespresso machine, an iPad for information and a quietvox system on the vanity. Luigi, our butler, explained that we need the quietvox device to listen to the guide on excursions. I tried that this afternoon and it was crystal clear.

The bathroom has double sinks and a glass shower stall. Best of all to me, the towel rack is generously sized and is not positioned directly above the toilet bowl!

So far all the crew have been very friendly & accomodating although I can see that they are still working some kinks out since it is only the 3rd cruise for the Mahler.

Looking forward to dinner!

f45519d69284e12609569d98cb95eb09.jpg19e5b27ae7afb34fe501a0119abb5211.jpg30bbff58104d7c002fa2fe2cf6bb95b5.jpgc14728d4295a7c2ece46dafaa4d85a5a.jpgaaa8838d8d860229b6b28de7c0679f03.jpgb524eb93564febfb8284760a36db0a4a.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There's a stretch of the Danube with wider locks [or no locks] so Crystal Mozart is limited to that itinerary. But the ship is amazing, and round trip Vienna is also very appealing.

Thanks. Im sure it’s an amazing ship. I’ve seen the Broadway Trip advertised frequently. I think they have a few every year.

Nice cabin. Is it a standard cabin?

It is the S2 category cabin (253 ft2). I have not seen the other cabins but I believe it goes CS (759), S 1 & 2 (253), S 3(237), S 4 & 5 (188).

I wish I had brought my swimsuit! I had not realized that it was an indoor pool. It is at the aft of the ship on L3 and it even has a fireplace. I might hangout here on the deck chairs.

eb01650506347cd568ac9e82365e2844.jpgf45569517bc059acfbee67253a993dde.jpg

Vienna: The Crystal signature event at the Belvedere Palace was truly special - a chance to see ‘The Kiss’ up close without a thronging crowd and the most wonderful concert. Likewise the early entry into the Chamber of Treasures in the morning was well worth it.

On the other hand, the Michelin dinners were not that great. We went to Edvard (great service, ok food) and others went to le Ciel(slow service, not great food). I think the food onboard is much better.

Quite a few passengers have agreed with you that the Michelin dinners are not as good as the dinners on board the Bach and the Mahler. In any event, they no longer are being offered as a complimentary dinner, although I believe you still can sign up for them at ~ 169 euro per person on some cruises. I suspect that eventually they will no longer be offered once demand dries up. This speaks volumes as to how great the dinners on the Crystal river boats are!

Vienna: The Crystal signature event at the Belvedere Palace was truly special - a chance to see ‘The Kiss’ up close without a thronging crowd and the most wonderful concert. Likewise the early entry into the Chamber of Treasures in the morning was well worth it.

On the other hand, the Michelin dinners were not that great. We went to Edvard (great service, ok food) and others went to le Ciel(slow service, not great food). I think the food onboard is much better.

Thank you for your posts We are booked on the next cruise out of Budapest leaving the 3rd Dec on the Mahler so we arefollowing your journey with interest We have booked to go to Edvard’s also was it a set menu Looking forward to your next post Paul

Yes, I suspect the Michelin dinners will peter off - already somebody who pre booked a second (paid) Michelin dinner before boarding the ship, cancelled her reservation after experiencing the Le Ciel dinner.

I told the Hotel Director that I thought the food on board was better and I could tell that it was not the first time that he had received that same feedback.

Thank you for your posts We are booked on the next cruise out of Budapest leaving the 3rd Dec on the Mahler so we arefollowing your journey with interest We have booked to go to Edvard’s also was it a set menu Looking forward to your next post Paul

Yes, it was a fixed menu with a couple additional items such as the foie gras mousse amuse bouche and bread with special butter. I only took these 2 pictures of the amuse bouche and the dessert. The main course turbot was very dry and I only ate half of it.

2192e0d78eef79c13fa017cd3aeae1f9.jpg1a11403d1511adbf4b95fd79cbde9e2b.jpg4a1c3722dda142cd3caa8e7de0f1743f.jpg

Today, we spent the morning in Durnstein and the afternoon in Melk. The church in Durnstein is a definite must see. We did the Klosterhof wine experience which was pleasant enough but not really worth the bus ride to go to the winery. On the other hand, the folks who went to Melk abbey had nothing but praise for that building.

Edited by swn4

In case, anyone was wondering about the ebike excursions. Due to its size, Mahler does not carry ebikes on board and instead arranges for a contractor to provide the bikes at each destination.

As the ebikes are quite heavy, Crystal will only proceed with the excursion if it does not rain. So, the ebike excursion in Vienna went ahead yesterday but today’s Durnstein-Melk excursion was cancelled despite the ebikes having been delivered dock-side. The crew member was not that positive about many ebike excursions occurring going forward into winter.

Tonight, Neal, the entertainment director, ran a Liars’ Club with front desk manager (Elena),Hotel director(Martin), Crystal host(Christina) gamely playing the liars. Not as elaborate as on board the ocean vessels but still good fun. For once, I actually knew one of the words - I’d seen it before in an article about Trump.

Little quirks on board -

1. the restaurant menus and daily schedules are not available online so the provided iPad currently is not very useful.

2. Agree with a previous reviewer that the toilet roll holder in the room is terrible - either the entire roll falls out of the holder or you have trouble getting the paper to unroll in one strip.

3. The wall mounted TV sticks out just enough from the wall that it is a hazard for a person getting out of the bed on that side in the middle of the night.

Tapas menu at Bistro on selected evenings - they will probably have this about 50 % of the evenings. The menu remains unchanged and you must make a reservation for this. The food is really good (eg; deconstructed Caesar, steak tartar, shredded pork sliders) so highly recommend that you try at least once when onboard.

d1948ffcae3fade8a7cdb346d542fa75.jpg3e4de345d62b432764946c8c29ef5645.jpg

Santa’s elves have been onboard for the last few days decorating for Christmas. It is a family affair - 2 sisters and their grown-up sons who do this. They will be moving to the Bach, Mozart before going on the ocean ships.

Being a European cruise, the decorations are more European looking than on the ocean vessels. It takes 7 months to plan the holiday decorations for all the vessels.

fdadc0730093997cb7b6cfb20c4650ef.jpg

Notice how the bar counter and canopies fold down so that we can pass under low bridges! Closer to the bridge, even the railings get folded down and Vista deck is closed off. Thanks to the very clear and well positioned ship’s cameras, you can see just how close the bridge is!

c5cf9924103094e8cd32e06ae45dc7ae.jpg

Safety hazard reported! The door to the laundry room and the crew area are at right angles to each other and my husband’s glasses got knocked off.

They were already aware and have a sign up but longer term, I think the crew only door needs a window! 40f930151ce97efdff946da8378f0b27.jpg05c4e24e9a2810c14b295ae8dc646b27.jpg7899a12738710d1a08dbad4e89dc8534.jpg

Tapas menu at Bistro on selected evenings - they will probably have this about 50 % of the evenings. The menu remains unchanged and you must make a reservation for this. The food is really good (eg; deconstructed Caesar, steak tartar, shredded pork sliders) so highly recommend that you try at least once when onboard.

The Tapas sounds great Thanks for the tip We’ll have to get in early before the word gets out