Clothing Tips, Updates: SE Asia??

TLCOhio

One thing we found in Vietnam & Cambodia, women could not wear sleeveless tops and use a scarf, pashmina, etc to cover their shoulders, it had to be a shirt with sleeves.

Getting ready in two and a half weeks for our first visit to Southeast Asia. This will feature Hong Kong, Bangkok, Vietnam and Cambodia, including a seven-day Mekong River cruise, then Angkor Wat, Hanoi, Halong Bay and Hue/Danang. We will be gone a little over one month for this latest “adventure”.

My wife's key question was about clothing, especially for the warmer areas of Bangkok, Ho Chi Minh City, the Amazon River, Siem Reap, etc., during this time period. On another thread from about a year ago, I posted one of the responses that was helpful. I have the high-tech pants that can be zipped off to become shorts. I normally wear a collared shirt with some sleeves. Seem fairly easy for me. BUT, how about for my wife when visiting certain religious site, etc., in SE Asia? How tightly are clothing standards enforced in these areas?

Any added updates, experiences? Other more recent insights, tips and suggestions for packing and being prepared?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 192,318 views for this posting.

BUT, how about for my wife when visiting certain religious site, etc., in SE Asia? How tightly are clothing standards enforced in these areas?

We did SIN-HKG on Azamara last December (2016) and ESPECIALLY Bangkok, the temples were very strict re: being covered. Of course, their king had recently died and was in fact still lying in state and being visited by citizens when we visited. We wore dark/somber colors and made sure to cover everything we needed to. I wore ankle length travel pants and a short sleeve wicking shirt with a scarf in case I needed more coverage. My husband wore regular length travel pants and a button down short sleeve wicking shirt with sun hat. Slip on shoes makes it easier to get in & out of temples more quickly....

At the temples in Bangkok, there were very long lines for those who needed to borrow appropriate clothing to be allowed in.....

(I had intended to wear a sleeveless maxi dress with a Columbia button down fishing/wicking shirt over it - but I forgot to pack the shirt ;-) Didn't want to wear a cardigan because it was SO hot, so I switched up so I could wear a short sleeve shirt instead. Everyone was a sweaty mess at the end of the day of touring, but it was amazing and worth it. Then again, most of the trip I was a sweaty mess - so I guess I got used to it ;-)

We did a similar trip January 2016 and once we left Hanoi it was hot. Just be sure your wife has a tee shirt or light button type blouse in her purse, backpack, etc as a few places we visited require covered shoulders and wearing a scarf over your shoulder was not acceptable, some people had to buy a cheap tee to throw on. Same for men’s shorts. You’ll also need to remove your shoes at the temples.

I ended up buying several inexpensive Walmart short sleeved tees right before we left and was so glad I did. We found ourselves showering 2-3 times a day. Also while on the ship portion of the trip you’ll need to remove your shoes (at least we did) and leave for the crew to wash before returning them to you. We found Keen Venice H2O or similar types of sandals worked very well for this type of trip as they dried quickly, unlike sneakers, and had great tread and traction.

Enjoy your trip, it was one of our favorites.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I found having a light weight shawl with me was handy for visits to temples. Or as was mentioned bring a wrinkle resistant blouse.You can also buy cotton scarves in Asia for about a $1. I also found having Keen shoes helpful as they are sturdy for many uneven walking conditions, light weight and can be washed easily. Because it’s so hot there it’s good to have clothes that are light weight and that you can wear, wash out and hang to dry. We often found we had to change at lunch into something else.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We leave in two weeks for two months in SE Asia. This time SIngapore, Thailand, Malaysia, and Philippines. This will be our fourth winter in the area.

We only travel with a carry so our recommendations may be different. Plus,, we only travel casual. So I will be packing one pair of long slacks-wearing on the plane. Two or three pairs of shorts. Probably four shirts plus the one on my back. Underwear. One pair of socks. Bathing suit, lightweight Teva sandals. I wear a pair of comfortable walking shoes on the plane. Lightweight cotton sweater and a nylon waterproof shell. I used to buy those slacks with the zip off legs but no longer do this. DW is similar but with lightweight dress, shawl and an extra pair of shoes. All of our clothing is purchased with travel in mind, ie lightweight, wrinkle resistant, and layered.

OP is right. Not only is laundry inexpensive, it is fast. We would typically pay $5. in Thailand for a good load of laundry. Same in VIetnam or Cambodia. We take our own sunscreen and a very small amount of bug spray (which we very seldom use). We eat, and enjoy the street food, especially at the night markets and the beaches. We have never experience food poisoning or stomach upset.

Weather in Northern Vietnam can sometimes be a little cooler in Jan. We found the local guides to be very good and very inexpensive. No idea about cruise line excursions.

Enjoy. For us it is fabulous winter destination with excellent, uncrowded beaches and with some of the most welcoming people ever. And wonderful scenery. Just be prepared to bob and weave with the locals and don't be afraid to do and eat as they do. It is half the fun for us.

Please always cover shoulders, knees and in some cases hair. It is not about restrictions being enforced it is about respecting other country’s culture. Same as in middle European countries where they expected all women to wear a head covering.

One woman on our tour, said I never cover my hair, they will just have to deal with it. Cringe

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Enjoy. For us it is fabulous winter destination with excellent, uncrowded beaches and with some of the most welcoming people ever. And wonderful scenery. Just be prepared to bob and weave with the locals and don't be afraid to do and eat as they do. It is half the fun for us.

WOW!! Super appreciate these great comments and follow-ups. Very, very helpful for me and my wife. Have copied these items, sent them in full to my wife, plus saved them to my laptop computer trip file with all of the important info. Great depth of background from iancal. Plus, nice details from our cruise friends in North Carolina, Texas, Canada and Australia.

Keep it coming!! This is excellent sharing.

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting, dramatic pictures can be seen from this live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 36,415 views for this visual sharing including Cape Town, along South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

Our winter 2016 trip included a month in Vietnam.

On that trip we usually paid $50 USD for a private car and guide. Sometimes it included a car, driver, and guide. This was the going rate in Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam. While in Saigon we took a tour to the underground tunnels. It was a half day tour booked while we there. Excellent tour...about 10 of us in the van. Cost was $18 at most travel agents, and there are plenty. It was five hours in duration.

If you need shoes to be repaired, Vietnam is the place. Hanoi and Saigon both have areas where shoes are sold and also there are repair services on the street. We used them twice. Excellent work.

Our winter 2016 trip included a month in Vietnam. On that trip we usually paid $50 USD for a private car and guide. Sometimes it included a car, driver, and guide. This was the going rate in Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam.

Wonderful!! Appreciate these added comments and follow-ups. Very helpful and interesting. Have copied and sent to my wife. Great depth of experience by iancal in Vietnam.

Might ask for iancal and others what they loved most and/or were most surprised by during their time in Ho Chi Minh City and Hanoi? Anything to avoid or skip?

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean adventure that started in Barbados, here is the link for that live/blog. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.):

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 54,695 views for these postings.

Enjoy your trip to SEAsia Terry. I look forward to seeing your comments and beautiful photos.

I have just returned from a cruise from Singapore to Hong Kong in December. Warmer layers were needed in the north in Hong Kong and Ha Long Bay. Otherwise I just took lightweight cotton long sleeve blouses and long pants, so I am suitably dressed to pop in to visit any temple.

When you visit HCMC visit the fabulous acrobatic show put on at the Opera House - not to be missed.

We spent more time in Hanoi than we did in Saigon. We do a great deal of walking and found Hanoi more interesting. The locals use Saigon instead of HCMC and we were told that a name change is in the offing. Oddly enough, Ho Chi Min did not want his name on a city.

In Saigon we toured the city. We liked the catherdral, palace, and train station. The war museum was very interesting. What surprised us was how much arable land was still contaminated to this day from the effects of Agent Orange and that Vietnam and Australia to a lesser extent are still experienced birth defects 3 generations later. We thought that this might be a little propaganda (there was lots) but when we researched it found that their claims of 25 percent was close to other figures of 20 percent. We did the half day tour to the tunnels and found this 5 hour tour to be very interesting. We did not do any shopping, but we seldom do.

We liked Hanoi. We walked around the lake each night and people watched, Crossing five lanes of moving traffic is an experience. You simply have to watch others and stop in the middle of the road if traffic is coming. Motorist will swerve around you. We enjoyed a traditional show. Toured the Hanoi Hilton, walked around the Capital Building. Great shopping here. Very interesting inasmuch as certain areas have specific products like shoes, clothing, headstones (yes headstones) You need to be very careful walking at night. The sidewalks are heaved in certain areas. Lot of announcements over the speakers that are mounted on all streets. They have a special tune to announce the approaching garbage truck so folks know that it is coming. It is a very different city, we enjoyed four days just wandering around. People very friendly, we loved the food.

We spent more time in Hanoi than we did in Saigon. We do a great deal of walking and found Hanoi more interesting. The locals use Saigon instead of HCMC and we were told that a name change is in the offing. Oddly enough, Ho Chi Min did not want his name on a city.

In Saigon we toured the city. We liked the catherdral, palace, and train station. The war museum was very interesting. What surprised us was how much arable land was still contaminated to this day from the effects of Agent Orange and that Vietnam and Australia to a lesser extent are still experienced birth defects 3 generations later. We thought that this might be a little propaganda (there was lots) but when we researched it found that their claims of 25 percent was close to other figures of 20 percent. We did the half day tour to the tunnels and found this 5 hour tour to be very interesting. We did not do any shopping, but we seldom do.

We liked Hanoi. We walked around the lake each night and people watched, Crossing five lanes of moving traffic is an experience. You simply have to watch others and stop in the middle of the road if traffic is coming. Motorist will swerve around you. We enjoyed a traditional show. Toured the Hanoi Hilton, walked around the Capital Building. Great shopping here. Very interesting inasmuch as certain areas have specific products like shoes, clothing, headstones (yes headstones) You need to be very careful walking at night. The sidewalks are heaved in certain areas. Lot of announcements over the speakers that are mounted on all streets. They have a special tune to announce the approaching garbage truck so folks know that it is coming. It is a very different city, we enjoyed four days just wandering around. People very friendly, we loved the food.

Thank you for sharing all your wisdom about your travels in SEAsia. Like you, my daughter spent months in SEAsia, and found it so inexpensive to travel and loved the people. The only place she got really sick was in Tibet, after drinking sealed bottled water. Otherwise she ate everything, as she loved the food, like you.

Bon Voyage for your latest winter travels.

When you visit HCMC visit the fabulous acrobatic show put on at the Opera House - not to be missed.

Super love this additional information from iancal and MMDown Under. Excellent!!! The mention on the Saigon Opera House inspired me to look and research more. Enjoyed the added details for this 468-seat theater in Ho Chi Minh city that goes back to 1898 when the French did the construction with many materials being shipped from Europe. Definitely want to see this structure and enjoy this show that gets nice reviews.

Keep sharing more background for what you enjoyed in Vietnam, great tips and must sees, etc.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 221,508 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Don’t wear yellow in Thailand...it is a royal color and is worn by the royal family....probably they would not say anything, but I got some strange looks in a temple, and my guide told me this...

Appreciate this great tip from our travel friend in Alaska. Had read last year about yellow being the color of the Royal family there in Thailand. Lots of attention last year when their long-time and beloved King had died and his somewhat "playboy" son became the new holder of that Royal title. Thailand does have special history in SE Asia as this country had a long role as the "buffer state" between French and British colonial holdings there.

Just two weeks till we depart. Keep it coming!! This is great and very helpful sharing.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!! Is one of your future desires or past favorites? See these many visual samples for its great history and architecture. This posting is now at 70,525 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

We started in Thailand in mid Jan. Spent time on the islands and then flew north to Siem Reap in early March. It was hot and dry in Cambodia. Our guide advised us not to bother with the floating village as the water level was so low and the enitre place smelled. So we did not bother. The river was low as well. We spent mid March to mid April in Vietnam, travelling top to bottom. So, by the time we got to Hue, Hanoi, etc the weather was very warm.

If anyone is going in this time fame and has control over their schedule I would recommend travelling from south to north, ie ending up in Hanoi or China vs. starting in the north.

You can definitely see the influence of the French on architecture. Certain areas of the some cities are very much that way. We toured a residential area in Da Lat that was home to many French. The architecture reminded me very much of where I grew up in Quebec. You will also see this influence in some of the older downtown building in Saigon and Hanoi.

You can definitely see the influence of the French on architecture. Certain areas of the some cities are very much that way. We toured a residential area in Da Lat that was home to many French. The architecture reminded me very much of where I grew up in Quebec. You will also see this influence in some of the older downtown building in Saigon and Hanoi.

YES, very much love to see and sample architecture when we visit other parts of the world. Seeing that French architecture and design in Vietnam is one of our top expectations and objectives in doing this trip. Great added info and background from iancal. Keep it coming!!

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 192,879 views for this posting.

We leave in two weeks for two months in SE Asia. This time SIngapore, Thailand, Malaysia, and Philippines. This will be our fourth winter in the area.

We only travel with a carry so our recommendations may be different. Plus,, we only travel casual. So I will be packing one pair of long slacks-wearing on the plane. Two or three pairs of shorts. Probably four shirts plus the one on my back. Underwear. One pair of socks. Bathing suit, lightweight Teva sandals. I wear a pair of comfortable walking shoes on the plane. Lightweight cotton sweater and a nylon waterproof shell. I used to buy those slacks with the zip off legs but no longer do this. DW is similar but with lightweight dress, shawl and an extra pair of shoes. All of our clothing is purchased with travel in mind, ie lightweight, wrinkle resistant, and layered.

Are you permitted to wear short in the temples, however? And, if I am understanding correctly, whatever shoes one is wearing, they must be taken off in the temples? So socks are required?

Can you wear leggings with a short sleeve shirt for women?

Leggings is not a good idea for hot and humid weather, IMHO. They just stick too close to your skin. Not sure if they would be problems in SE Asia but when we were in Egypt, our friend who was wearing a pair of leggings was asked to cover herself in a robe when we were in the mosque. They had robes for rent right there.

We have been in many Thai temples. Never had a problem with shorts (above the knee) and never saw any other men having that issue. Both Thai and tourist.

Yes, shoes off. You will see a shoe rack outside the temple. I typically have bare feet as does DW. Some temples provide a covering for women so it is not an issue. We found the same in Cambodia and Vietnam.

Leaving in two weeks. I will only pack two or three pairs of shorts and some collared shirts. My long slacks or jeans usually only get worn on longer flights. Shame really to carry them about for two or three months but I get cold on the airplane. Once in a while I will wear them to dinner but not really enough to justify carrying them about.

Edited by iancal

We have been in many Thai temples. Never had a problem with shorts (above the knee) and never saw any other men having that issue. Both Thai and tourist. Yes, shoes off. You will see a shoe rack outside the temple. I typically have bare feet as does DW. Some temples provide a covering for women so it is not an issue. We found the same in Cambodia and Vietnam. Leaving in two weeks. I will only pack two or three pairs of shorts and some collared shirts. My long slacks or jeans usually only get worn on longer flights. Shame really to carry them about for two or three months but I get cold on the airplane. Once in a while I will wear them to dinner but not really enough to justify carrying them about.

Appreciate these continued great comments and follow-ups. This is a wonderful range of information and insights. I keep sharing these items with my wife and she is impressed with this range of excellent background. This thread has turned into a nice "learning experience"!!

On leggings, our travel agent suggested that option yesterday, but my wife has doubts as to whether that option would work that well. She also views that shorts might work OK for men, but on women that it is not quite as ideal or appropriate. Now at two weeks till when we depart on Cathay Pacific for that 15 hour and 50 minute flight between Chicago and Hong Kong. Keep it coming!!

Super loved Dubrovnik!!! See more details and lots of great visual samples/examples at this link. Have had over 39,805 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and dropped by.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227