Princess cruises- crown princess

JoBrum

I have not been on a princess cruise since 2013. I am going on the crown princess in march 2019. I am not a big drinker, but enjoy a glass of wine now and then. Does anyone know what the charge is for a glass of wine? I know celebrity a few years back had a happy hour before dinner with reduced prices.

Thank you.

Wines by the glass are a fairly limited (but reasonable) selection, and prices started at $7/pour and went up from there (Jan '18). For example Clos Du Bois cab and chard were $8/glass and Silverado cab was $12/glass, Estancia pinot grigio was $9 and a prosecco started at $7. If you're picky about your wines though, choose with care. A bottle of inexpensive (internet says ~$10/btl) red was on the wine list at $28/btl (Puerto Viejo Reserve Cab Sauv), so prices in some instances have a pretty generous markup and there may be a disconnect on the QPR.

Just an FYI that you're allowed to bring 1 bottle per person of wine, and can bring additional bottles at $15/btl (750 mL). I packed in a nice bottle of 2012 cab and then paid the $15 corkage fee to bring it to the dining room. A small downside of the wine list is that most of the nice bottles are still young unless you're paying for the premium/super premiums (figure easily $75+). Depending on your tastes, you could still save money bringing wine you know you like after paying the bag fee and corkage fee versus buying bottles onboard.

There was also a happy hour on the Crown the last time. IIRC, it was 3-4pm and 10-11pm

They were running buy one, get the 2nd of the same for $1; 3-4 in a bar (usu. wheelhouse) and 11p-midnight (skywalkers) on Crown a few weeks ago

I wouldn't count on an extensive wine selection at the happy hour bar though fwiw

On most cruises there will be a BOGO$1 happy hour in the afternoon usually 3:00 PM to 4:00 PM (time can slip to later) and another BOGO$1 in the late evening usually 10:00 PM to 11:00 PM where you can get two for the price of one (same drink) for the added $1. That includes all drinks at the bar and usually is held in one of the deck 7 clubs (ie wheelhouse bar) in the afternoon and in Skywalkers late at night. On the ship you can take your drinks anywhere including the MDR.

If you purchase wine in the MDR, they will label it and store it until the next night(s). You don't have to consume it all that meal or you can take the bottle with you and drink it anywhere including ship bars. They will give you a glass in the bars. Bottle of wine cost the same at all bars and MDR.

Many ships have a Vines wine bar which might be to your liking. Excellent selection of wine in a nice atmosphere and they give you appetizers with each purchase.

• 2 months later...

Hi fellow cruisers, I'm new to Princess and would like to know if the Happy Hours are listed in a daily paper. Thanks for any info you can share. I am booked on a 27 day transatlantic from Ft. Lauderdale. I am going to need to find these happy hrs.

Sandra

Hi fellow cruisers, I'm new to Princess and would like to know if the Happy Hours are listed in a daily paper. Thanks for any info you can share. I am booked on a 27 day transatlantic from Ft. Lauderdale. I am going to need to find these happy hrs.

Sandra

This thread may be "only" three months old but a quick glance at more recent ones will reveal a big change:

No more BOGO happy hours on Princess.

Sandra

If they have them they will be shown in the Patter, but it has recently been reported that Princess has eliminated happy hours fleet wide.

I have not been on a princess cruise since 2013. I am going on the crown princess in march 2019. I am not a big drinker, but enjoy a glass of wine now and then. Does anyone know what the charge is for a glass of wine? I know celebrity a few years back had a happy hour before dinner with reduced prices.

Thank you.

It has been posted that BOGO has gone away for now.

We brought two bottles of wine on-board and that was sufficient except we bought wine by the glass a couple of times with dinner.

Between now and when you sail there nay be changes so I would re-ask the question next winter.