Alaska: Royal vs Golden

eastexascruiser

Greetings!

It's been a while since we've cruised and we'd be newbies to Princess! We're looking at a multi generational Alaskan August 2018 sailing. I've narrowed it down to the Golden vs Royal Princess since we want a Saturday sail date.

The itineraries appear identical that I can see so I was hoping for some feedback as to which would be best for a group of all age groups. The youngest would be 6 and the oldest 78.

We've cruised Carnival, RC, and Holland in the past with Holland being our favorite for adults and carnival for a family. I'd love to hear the major differences between Princess and those 2 lines.

We're still in very early planning phase so any tips would be appreciated!

If everything is equal I’d go with the Royal. I’ve been on both and they are both fine but the Royal is newer. Some may prefer the Golden with the promenade deck. No wrong answer. We do multigenerational cruises and both are excellent. I just really like the newer Royal and Regal so that would be my pick. Enjoy your cruise!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes, we are looking at the summer of 2019... Never too early to start planning, right?! 😎😎

So looking for opinions on Royal vs Golden since they both have the same itinerary, that I can see. Also, from the website it looks like the Royal might be getting some changes over the next year but I can't be for certain! :)

If everything is equal I’d go with the Royal. I’ve been on both and they are both fine but the Royal is newer. Some may prefer the Golden with the promenade deck. No wrong answer. We do multigenerational cruises and both are excellent. I just really like the newer Royal and Regal so that would be my pick. Enjoy your cruise!

I would go with the Royal as well. It is relatively new and well laid out.

Yes, we are looking at the summer of 2019... Never too early to start planning, right?! [emoji41][emoji41]

So looking for opinions on Royal vs Golden since they both have the same itinerary, that I can see. Also, from the website it looks like the Royal might be getting some changes over the next year but I can't be for certain! :)

We are thinking of doing same thing summer 2019. Have been on Royal & Golden and just off Regal, our vote would be Royal. Some in our gang want the Sipnsail again, so we may have to hold off for a bit.

You spoke of changes, would that be due to notation on a Princess website of clicking on (I believe) cruises after May 2019 or have you seen something else?

We are thinking of doing same thing summer 2019. Have been on Royal & Golden and just off Regal, our vote would be Royal. Some in our gang want the Sipnsail again, so we may have to hold off for a bit.

You spoke of changes, would that be due to notation on a Princess website of clicking on (I believe) cruises after May 2019 or have you seen something else?

Yes, there are different deck plans based on sail dates. I wonder what's changing, if anything?

Yes, we are looking at the summer of 2019... Never too early to start planning, right?! 😎😎

Your first post said August 2018, so that's why I questioned it. I have been on both ships. The Royal is newer and very nice, buffet is much nicer/bigger. However, the Golden has the better promenade deck as well as a lovely indoor pool, which is really nice for Alaska. AND it has the original Skywalkers way up high, which is nice for viewing during the day. With young kids, I think I might be swayed toward the Golden because of the indoor pool. It was packed every day on the Grand during our Alaska cruise, and has really nice loungers on the deck above the pool, also indoors. Really, you can't go wrong with either ship, just have to evaluate what could be more important for your group.

I have not been on the Royal but would chose the Golden. I like a Promenade deck in Alaska. I like it for viewing purposes. This is one of those itineraries where I don't think bigger is better as the ports are already so crowded, especially with other lines putting larger and larger ships in Alaska. The upper decks are going to be more crowded on the Royal Princess since there is no Promenade deck and there are more people on the ship.

The Golden also has an inside pool which kids enjoy in Alaska.

We have been on both the Royal and the Golden. I very much like the Royal for all the reasons mentioned above, but would definitely choose the Golden for a multigenerational trip to Alaska. We chose her for our 50th anniversary trip 3 years ago and had family members from ages 5 to 80. We discussed all the various ship options with family members and the enclosed indoor pool was a deal maker for the young families. Also, the passenger load was small enough that the teens easily met and made friends, again usually based around meeting at the pool. If possible, I would recommend an itinerary that goes to Glacier Bay. Have a wonderful trip!

I LOVED the Royal! I can’t wait to sail on her again. It is newer with all the bells and whistles. I loved the bedding and TV’s. Everything is just the best! We are going on a 15 day cruise in April on the small Coral. It is nice, but like I said, I love the newer ships!!

Oops... Sorry for putting the wrong date in my original post. We are looking at the summer of 2019 not 2018. Thanks for the feedback on the differences especially regarding the covered pool and promenade deck.

On the website there is a different deck plan starting the summer of 2019. Does anyone know if there will be any significant changes made when she moves to Alaska? A covered pool and promenade deck maybe lol? Sounds like that would be the best of both worlds!

Oops... Sorry for putting the wrong date in my original post. We are looking at the summer of 2019 not 2018. Thanks for the feedback on the differences especially regarding the covered pool and promenade deck.

On the website there is a different deck plan starting the summer of 2019. Does anyone know if there will be any significant changes made when she moves to Alaska? A covered pool and promenade deck maybe lol? Sounds like that would be the best of both worlds!

A different deck plan usually means they are redoing how the money breakdown is on the different cabin decks. The Golden will be in drydock the end of March for 15 days which says there will not be any major changes. The Royal is not scheduled for a drydock at this time so it appears.