What's your take on "no locked luggage" cruise policies?

kelly@

What's your take on "no locked luggage" cruise policies? Choose all that apply.  

465 members have voted

1. 1. What's your take on "no locked luggage" cruise policies? Choose all that apply.

• I always use locks and will continue to do so, no matter the policy
    • I lock my bags with cable ties that can be cut, so I'm not concerned
    • I'd lock my bags if someone would claim responsibility for them before they're onboard
    • I usually lock my bags, but I understand the importance of security, so I would comply
    • I think policies like this are just a way for cruise lines to crack down on booze smuggling
    • I only travel on short cruises where I can carry on my own baggage
    • None of the above
    • Something else (which I'll post)

Do you lock your luggage before handing it over to the porters at the cruise port? It appears that the folks over at Carnival Cruise Lines are frowning on the common safety practice -- which has sparked a heated discussion about baggage policies. Late last week, several Cruise Critic members booked on upcoming Carnival cruises received e-mail notification from the line (which they then posted on the Carnival forum) about a change in luggage policy. Read the full story here: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=3667

A Carnival spokesman was unable to provide more information -- such as when and why the language change was made to the baggage policy, or whether TSA-approved locks or plastic cable ties are allowable -- by press time, but tells us he's looking into the matter. Stay tuned.

In the meantime, we want to know: What's your take on Carnival's crackdown on luggage lockers? Vote in our poll (and be sure to post your opinion below!).

I don't lock my luggage. I don't put any valuables in my checked luggage--just clothes and shoes--and I am not smuggling booze in there either. I do have a small keyring that I use on the zipper of one bag to make sure it doesn't come unzipped.

One time when we were flying home, the TSA inspected one of my bags. There were old locks on the bag--but I had never used them and did not have a key. The TSA locked one of them after their inspection. I had to use a screwdriver to break the lock after getting home.

I use neon zip ties on my luggage, only to ensure that the zippers stay together and don't accidentally open, allowing anything to spill out.

Nothing valuable (to me) goes in bags I surrender. If someone wants to steal my socks, underwear and deodorant, let 'em have it.

The reason I believe this is about booze smuggling is the fact it is only imposed by one cruise line. This is not a port regulation, TSA regulation, nor CBP regulation. This is a Carnival regulation. If this was imposed by a higher authority at the ports, then I would believe it has more to do with safety.

Ok, What would your response be if they said you could not lock your cars when parked? Don't lock your House when you are gone? This is silly! I will continue to lock everything up when I am not in control of it!

The truth of the matter is I believe most people are honest. I also believe that given the opportunity many people will take advantage of a situation if it presents itself! Booze smuggling is a way many otherwise honest people take advantage of a situation. (It is still dishonest if you know it is not allowed) Outright "Theft" is another way someone may take advantage of a situation! If I lock my luggage it may take away the "Opportunity" for someone to be dishonest. It may even allow them to keep their job because the temptation is not there!

The reason I believe this is about booze smuggling is the fact it is only imposed by one cruise line. This is not a port regulation, TSA regulation, nor CBP regulation. This is a Carnival regulation. If this was imposed by a higher authority at the ports, then I would believe it has more to do with safety.

Carnival has been pretty lax in enforcing its alcohol policies. On my last two Carnival cruises, I put several cans of beer in my checked bags and never locked my luggage. Even the stewards have been nice enough to put my beer on ice for me. I just don't think Carnival cares too much about people bringing on their own alcohol. If they did, the first bags they would go after is the locked ones or at least x-ray them.

It could relate to drug smuggling (I mean real smuggling) or safety. There is no rule that any cruiseline just has to meet minimum TSA or other standards. As a passenger, I like the no locked luggage policy. If they happen to confiscate my alcohol, so be it.

If the policy below is a dealbreaker to any potential Carnival passenger, he or she has the right to cruise on another line and Carnival is not trampling on anybody's rights.

Carnival Policy OP refers to:

In order to maintain a safe and secure environment, Carnival prohibits certain items onboard, i.e., weapons (including replica or toy weapons), candles, irons, alcohol, or other dangerous goods, and reserves the right to search guests' baggage and/or personal effects for any of the prohibited items, at any time, prior to embarkation and during the cruise. According to our policy, (as stated in clause 4f of the ticket contract), Carnival conducts security scanning of all baggage and if prohibited items are found, they will be removed and stored for safekeeping until the end of the voyage. The retained item(s) will be delivered to your stateroom on the last night of the cruise. Unsealed containers with prohibited liquids will be discarded, as well as any unclaimed items left after the voyage, and no compensation will be given in either case.

Our clothing and shoes are valuable, add up just what is in there you will find there is a great value inside a suitcase even without electronics or jewelry.

I realize luggage locks are pretty much useless against theft, if a criminal wants in they will get in. I don't for a minute buy into the "if it's locked it draws attention that there might be something of value in the case". But I do believe that a thief will bypass a locked case if an unlocked case is sitting next to it.

The biggest opbjection is that #1 zippers can come open in transit and all your belongings can be strewn about and lost or damaged if the case comes open, #2 I don't care for my suitcases to be available for anyone who possibly wants to see what is in there.

Carnival can call anyone down to open their case to show what is inside, they have no business going into the case without you present. They are not the TSA.

If people would follow the rules of what is allowed and what is NOT allowed, this topic would be mute. However, Carnival finds and confiscates bullets, knives, alcohol, guns, brass knuckles etc. on most sailings. It is shocking to me that people don't read the rules or think they are exempt for some reason.

If a prohibited item is found during the Xray process, Carnival has to go through all sorts of hoops to remove the item especially if the bag is locked. I believe this new policy will allow them to remove the article(s) without having to locate the passenger(s) which can take quite some time.

Follow the rules - NO PROBLEMS! It is because there are rulebreakers that there has to be policy implementation.

I have no desire to smuggle alcohol onboard. I don't drink enough to make it worth it. :p That being said, if I were to add up the cost of items in my suitcase on a 7 day cruise, the clothing, shoes, etc would add up to more than the cost of my cruise itself. There is no way I'm going to afford anyone the opportunity of depriving me of my own possessions whether by accident (zipper coming open) or intentionally. I believe people are typically honest, but I also know this is not always the case. I have no problem with going down and showing security my clothes, shoes, undies, and toiletries if they want to see it, but I'm not going to take the risk of my stuff not joining me on my vacation.

I don't believe that this policy has anything to do with security. The bottom line is the god almighty dollar. I carry my own bag. But if I didn't I would never let my bag out of my sight unlocked. That is just plain old common sense. No other cruise line is doing this and Carnival is not even implementing it on their other lines.

My cousin had her suits and gowns REMOVED because she did not lock her suitcase I will keep mine locked .I only have clothes and stuff in my bags but I do not wish to part with them !!!!!This policy is LUDICROUS if they cannot guaranty I will receive my stuff intact!!!!

Crooks only have a few seconds to identify which bags they want to steal from. How do they decide which bags have the most valuable items? They look for the locks!

If you lock your bags, you might as well just put a big sticker on them that says "Valuables Inside!!"

Crooks will get into bags, locked or not.

Smart travelers never carry valuables in their checked bags. Be a smart traveler....don't carry valuables in your checked bags, and don't advertise to crooks by using locks.

Count us in the "We lock our bags when they will be out of our sight mainly to prevent the zippers from coming open - which they sometimes do on their own - and to protect the hundreds of dollars of clothing we have in there from falling out and being lost or ruined."

If they want me to unlock the bag for them, I'll be happy to!

Don't like the new policy.

...and the last few cruises (even on a 7 niter) I pack VERY lightly and don't check any luggage on the plane OR the ship; and yes I smuggle a few airline size liqour bottles.

..Royal Caribbean is cracking down on booze smuggling; and this is Carnival doing the same under the guise of "security".

...I have a 14 niter coming up overseas; so I'm going to have to check a bag or two this time..but still won't lock. All valuables and meds will be with carryon; and I am going to purchase the (in)famous "rumrunners". Booze is totally undetectable.

Mitch

I use neon zip ties on my luggage, only to ensure that the zippers stay together and don't accidentally open, allowing anything to spill out.

Nothing valuable (to me) goes in bags I surrender. If someone wants to steal my socks, underwear and deodorant, let 'em have it.

My thoughts exactly!

Our clothing and shoes are valuable, add up just what is in there you will find there is a great value inside a suitcase even without electronics or jewelry.

I realize luggage locks are pretty much useless against theft, if a criminal wants in they will get in. I don't for a minute buy into the "if it's locked it draws attention that there might be something of value in the case". But I do believe that a thief will bypass a locked case if an unlocked case is sitting next to it.

The biggest opbjection is that #1 zippers can come open in transit and all your belongings can be strewn about and lost or damaged if the case comes open, #2 I don't care for my suitcases to be available for anyone who possibly wants to see what is in there.

Carnival can call anyone down to open their case to show what is inside, they have no business going into the case without you present. They are not the TSA.[/quote

I agree with Happy ks. If they want my bags open I'll be happy to come down and open them for them. I don't bring anything in my bags that isn't allowed. No liquor, weapons drugs or irons. We use TSA locks and will continue to do us. If this isn't allowed by Carnival then we can just sail with another line. For me this policy would be a " Deal Breaker"

I have never locked my bags. I have taken 7 cruises,, and have travelled to Europe almost every year for many years.

I take nothing of value in my suitcase,, and no,, I do not consider my clothes valuable.. the most valuable thing in my bags would probably be a pair of shoes( worth maybe $150 at most) . I figure if someone needs my worn shoes that bad they must really need them. LOL

I carry my bag most time.

I don't see how a lock prevents bag from bursting if overpacked,, which is why many bag zippers burst open anyways.

I have used a twist tie to prevent zippers from running,, but only cause that bag was old and cheap... LOL

I'll use zip ties or key rings to keep zippers closed but no locks. I will not smuggle booze or bring prohibited items. I will carry my valuables with me, not in checked luggage. I will buy traveler's insurance so if my clothes or shoes are "missing" I will be able to buy brand new stuff!

While I don't keep "valuables" in my checked luggage, I'll STILL lock it with my own "keyed" locks--not TSA locks!

It's not so much someone TAKING something from my bags, as it is to prevent someone PUTTING some contraband INTO my things.....you just never know!

If some "official" needs to see what's in my luggage, they can contact me, and I'll open it.

Nothing valuable (to me) goes in bags I surrender. If someone wants to steal my socks, underwear and deodorant, let 'em have

They did EXACTLY that in Buenos Aires

I was not pleased .all my side pockets were emptied ...SOO i really want to keep my bags locked

Be careful what you wish for!!!!

Archived