OBC in lieu of gratuities

jjeffjb

We are Silver Oceania Club members. One benefit is that we receive included gratuities. However, the cruise we have booked comes with free gratuities. Oceania has said that we'll receive an on board credit in lieu of the gratuities due to our silver status because gratuities are already included. They were unable to tell us the amount of the OBC. The cruise is 16 days. Does anyone know what the OBC will be?

We are Silver Oceania Club members. One benefit is that we receive included gratuities. However, the cruise we have booked comes with free gratuities. Oceania has said that we'll receive an on board credit in lieu of the gratuities due to our silver status because gratuities are already included. They were unable to tell us the amount of the OBC. The cruise is 16 days. Does anyone know what the OBC will be?

What I can tell you is that it will not be an even value for the gratuities (I.e., $16/person/day). I'm guessing you're looking at $250 from O for the cabin (beyond your initial $400 Silver OBC from Oceania) but would be interested in hearing from others what their experience has been - especially when TA (or their consortium [e.g., Virtuoso] is having a special "gratuities included" sale - above and beyond whatever TA OBC/rebate is already on the table)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Depends on the date you hit silver. Forget the exact transition date. We hit silver feb '15 and $250 was the number. From memory, others who hit silver before the change were grandfathered at the prior rate which I believe was $400 though not certain.

I believe the date to hit at least Silver and receive full value of PPG was 12/31/14 (could have even been 2013).

Those that reached at least Silver by that date will receive full value of SECOND PPG as non-refundable OBC (and $250-$300 for THIRD PPG, if offered). Those that are not grandfathered will receive $250 to $300 (?$350), depending on length of the cruise (not cabin category).

That is my understanding and experience.

The shipboard credit in lieu of the gratuities is $250.00 per stateroom unless you turned Silver by 12/31/12. If you did turn Silver by this date, you would receive shipboard credit in the amount of the gratuities.

Sharicruz

The shipboard credit in lieu of the gratuities is $250.00 per stateroom unless you turned Silver by 12/31/12. If you did turn Silver by this date, you would receive shipboard credit in the amount of the gratuities.

Sharicruz

Thank you for clarifying this. Time flies - I didn't think it was as far back as 2012 but you obviously know this.

Is the fixed amount of $250 relatively new as I am pretty sure we have received more like $300 (or $350) in the past for a third PPG. I was told then that it depended on the length of the cruise.

Hi Paul,

The amount is not dependent on the length of the sailing. $250.00 is the in lieu of amount. It has been this way for a very long time.

Sharicruz

Thank you.

Apparently my memory is failing me again - it's happening more and more often :(

Depends on the date you hit silver. Forget the exact transition date. We hit silver feb '15 and $250 was the number. From memory, others who hit silver before the change were grandfathered at the prior rate which I believe was $400 though not certain.

Hi John! Hope all is well. Jeff did not know that I had already asked you this question before he began the thread.

We hit Silver in July 2012. I thought this would be the year for Gold but not so. Close though...1 away. :cool: Best regards!

Hi Randy...slipping in my old age...should have recognized Jeff's CC handle. We hit gold this past cruise...20 in sight. Would be a hoot if we four shared that one. Our best to you and Jeff.

Also, here is a link to what I believe was the originating thread on this topic. Apologies in advance as it made my hair hurt revisiting this one...http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1904992&highlight=OBC+For+prepaid+gratuities..

John (and Paula)

Hi Paul,

The amount is not dependent on the length of the sailing. $250.00 is the in lieu of amount. It has been this way for a very long time.

Sharicruz

Not to be argumentative and only FWIW, the first post in this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1904992&highlight=OBC+For+prepaid+gratuities

seems to indicate that the "fixed" $250 OBC for second PPG was instituted in Spring of 2013. That would go along with my recollection that in the past I have received more than $250 as it most likely was before Spring 2013.

Does that sound right to you?

• 6 months later...

We are still Bronze with 7 "O" cruises completed. We will be on the Around the World 2018 cruise and earn 15 loyalty points, bringing us to Platinum level. Platinum benefit levels of OBC and spa credit were applied to our invoice at the time of booking. Will we receive additional onboard credit in some amount as the ATW cruise includes PPG as one of the perks, and we will be qualified at some point during the cruise?

I think several folks on prior ATW cruises experienced a similar situation- how did that finally resolve- either prior to departure or once on board? Thanks for any help-

If I might ask, when someone refers to a "second ppg" or a "third ppg", what exactly are they referring to? We're getting ready to book our 10th cruise which will be a grand voyage hooked with an 8 day cruise. If our TA offers us ppg as part of the perks to book with them, will O give us $250 OBC for the entire cruise, $250 OBC for the GV and $250 OBC for the 8 day cruise, or $250 OBC for each leg of the GV and $250 OBC for the 8 day cruise? Just trying to figure out how this will all work once we reach Silver status.

If I might ask, when someone refers to a "second ppg" or a "third ppg", what exactly are they referring to? We're getting ready to book our 10th cruise which will be a grand voyage hooked with an 8 day cruise. If our TA offers us ppg as part of the perks to book with them, will O give us $250 OBC for the entire cruise, $250 OBC for the GV and $250 OBC for the 8 day cruise, or $250 OBC for each leg of the GV and $250 OBC for the 8 day cruise? Just trying to figure out how this will all work once we reach Silver status.

The way I understand it is if your TA gives you PPG (probably from O incentive) then the PPG for Silver status will turn into the $250 OBC

You might get the OBC for each leg or maybe just once for the GV & the 8 day which I think is an additional cruise

Look on your invoice page 3 & see if it has

"SBC in Lieu of Oceania Club prepaid gratuities" for each cruise

Then ask your TA

These are things your TA should be able to answer or find out about for you

JMO

The way I understand it is if your TA gives you PPG (probably from O incentive) then the PPG for Silver status will turn into the $250 OBC

You might get the OBC for each leg or maybe just once for the GV & the 8 day which I think is an additional cruise

Look on your invoice page 3 & see if it has

"SBC in Lieu of Oceania Club prepaid gratuities" for each cruise

Then ask your TA

These are things your TA should be able to answer or find out about for you

JMO

Thanks for your response. However, we are hoping to hear from someone that actually has some experience as a Silver when booking a Grand Voyage with PPG included with their TA's perks. That way we'll hopefully understand what to expect when we actually book the cruise. We have found when dealing with our TA it's much better knowing what the rules are rather than expecting him to tell us.

Thanks for your response. However, we are hoping to hear from someone that actually has some experience as a Silver when booking a Grand Voyage with PPG included with their TA's perks.

Well sorry I responded :eek:

will refrain from trying to help in the future

Clearly you do not have a good TA

For us a TA is good for only one thing, perks. I can't remember the last time our TA ever called us with new cost saving information or when the price of a booked cruise had gone down. We always have to continually monitor each cruise we have booked. If it wasn't for the perks, we would simply keep our booking with our O PCC who is great. However, it's hard to turn down 5-7% in additional perks.

As far as your opinion goes, it's always appreciated. However in this case we are looking for a specific answer to our question so we can make a decision as to whether or not to transfer the booking to our TA since we only have a 30 day window as we always book with our O PCC before transfering the booking to our TA.

For example if we only get $250 OBC for the entire cruise and our TA was only offering PPG as a perk, it wouldn't be worth it for us to give up control talking directly with O experts to transfer our booking to our TA.

Perhaps Ken the cruiser forgot that that this is a web site mostly of amateurs and those who are experienced with and enjoy (discussing) cruises. I think it would have been better if they had not respond at all. If he wants the definitive answer and not a discussion they should ask their "only good for one thing, perks (sic)" TA or O directly.

Being at the tail end of the Baby Boomers, we’ve missed out on many things- those BB’s use it all up and it gets canned before we arrive. [emoji57]. On the other hand, we’re not as old as they are! [emoji16]

Mo

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Perhaps Ken the cruiser forgot that that this is a web site mostly of amateurs and those who are experienced with and enjoy (discussing) cruises. I think it would have been better if they had not respond at all. If he wants the definitive answer and not a discussion they should ask their "only good for one thing, perks (sic)" TA or O directly.

Thank you so much for that. I'll try to remember that in the future.

For us a TA is good for only one thing, perks. I can't remember the last time our TA ever called us with new cost saving information or when the price of a booked cruise had gone down. We always have to continually monitor each cruise we have booked. If it wasn't for the perks, we would simply keep our booking with our O PCC who is great. However, it's hard to turn down 5-7% in additional perks.

As far as your opinion goes, it's always appreciated. However in this case we are looking for a specific answer to our question so we can make a decision as to whether or not to transfer the booking to our TA since we only have a 30 day window as we always book with our O PCC before transfering the booking to our TA.

For example if we only get $250 OBC for the entire cruise and our TA was only offering PPG as a perk, it wouldn't be worth it for us to give up control talking directly with O experts to transfer our booking to our TA.

That's pretty sad Ken. Of course you have a system that works for you but many of us here can attest to the value of using a TA with Oceania experience. All of things you mentioned never happens for you, happens all the time for me, plus many other things. Perhaps it's your attitude toward them.

Also any question I have I can get an answer that you can take to the bank within a day or less.

PS , I turned Silver on a GV. I just checked my invoice, while I got a ton of other perks the only Grats I received were from Oceania, so I can't answer your question.

That's pretty sad Ken. Of course you have a system that works for you but many of us here can attest to the value of using a TA with Oceania experience. All of things you mentioned never happens for you, happens all the time for me, plus many other things. Perhaps it's your attitude toward them.

Also any question I have I can get an answer that you can take to the bank within a day or less.

PS , I turned Silver on a GV. I just checked my invoice, while I got a ton of other perks the only Grats I received were from Oceania, so I can't answer your question.

I'm glad you and others have been able to find a TA that works for you. Maybe one day we'll find one as well.

well gosh, I asked a question on a prior thread which I thought appropriate....instead of starting a new thread. Did not mean to stir things up....

simple question, we are "bronze" at 7 cruises. Going ATW in 2018. PrePaid Gratuities are part of the O ATW package, check. Noted on invoice. Will we receive any additional SBC along the way to compensate for our increased loyalty level or is this only applicable to those that are already at silver level prior to embarking? All other Platinum benefits have been applied to our invoice.