Ciao! Photo Review Italy and Adriatic on Quest Oct 3 2017

Familygoboston

Ciao! Photo Review Italy and Adriatic on Quest Oct 3 20171664480392017%20Venice?preview=20171003+-+Venice+-+112.jpg2017%20Venice?preview=20171003+-+Venice+-+112.jpg2017%20Venice?preview=20171003+-+Venice+-+112.jpg

2017%20Venice?preview=20171003+-+Venice+-+112.jpg

166448039.jpg

Azamara Quest at San Basilio from the cockpit of a water taxi in Venice

I'm excited to be back with a photo review of our recent anniversary cruise on Quest, from Venice to Rome, with calls at (Kopor) Slovenia, (Hvar and Dubrovnik) Croatia, (Kotor) Montenegro, (Corfu) Greece, (Valetta) Malta, (Taormina, Sorrento and Amalfi) Italy. Many of you were so helpful (especially Bonnie, CBO) while we were planning, and I thought I'd pay it forward with a photo review of our trip here! As always, you can find more about our travels on our website www.goseeittravel.com

We are still working on photos and video from our trip, but I'll be sharing a little each day, so subscribe to this thread, like on FB or twitter, (its all there in our sgnature) and I'll keep adding content as hubby gets the 7000 photos he took processed and posted!

First I'd like to lead off with a general review of our cruise on Azamara Quest. It was incredible...I'd be reaching to find anything "cruise critical" about it! We had a very full itinerary, and Quest was a warm, confortable, and welcoming home after a very busy day (and often... night). Everytime we "bonged" back in after a long day touring we were greeting by smiling security staff asking about our day, greeted with a tidy cabin, delicious food seemingly always available, interesting lectures about upcoming ports and realxing spaces to enjoy a little entertainmment. For all of that, we always feel our Azamara cruises deliver on their promise of providing a largely cost inclusive, extended destination immersive itinerary, with warm, friendly, and casual envirnment on board. Well, done Azamara! Thanks for making our big anniversary special!

I've got more pictures to post later in the day, after I get some real work done!

Edited by Familygoboston
Because I always misspell something!

Booking Drama

We had booked this cruise nearly 2 years in advance, we had been on a river cruise in Central and Eastern Europe and everyone we met there said we should go to the Adriatic Coast, particularly, Croatia. We knew we had a big anniversary, and decided to find a cruise that included ports in Croatia and a call in Venice. We investigated PG's Moana and Windstar Cruises (the larger Windstar vessels and Viking Ocean were just coming online and we didn't have enough info to make them part of the calculus). Both advertise having the casual vibe we like, but neither features balcony cabins, so we decided to book the Azamara, and enjoy the Explorer level LCV benefits we'd earned being loyal to the company, and a balcony cabin. We booked so far in advance that we actually had time to book and TRAVEL on Azamara Journey (Miami- Costa Rica/Panama Canal- review in our signature)) before this cruise. We wanted to make sure we enjoyed the experience of Azamara before investing our anniversary trip on a 10 day trip with AZ.

Luckily, our Panama trip was excellent, and we felt very happy with our choice of Quest for our anniversary. At the time we booked, we were able to take advantage of a promotion of booking one category and getting to choose a VX cabin. Because we are big fans of aft cabins, we chose 6090. Sometime after booking, about a year or so before we traveled, Azamara started making some changes to itineraries to accommodate charters. For a while we weren't sure if we would be taking this cruise. Fortunately for us, after the dust settled, the charter happened the week before our cruise and our cruise in Oct was still a go, with an added bonus overnight in Venice, at no additional cost to those of us who were already booked. We were very pleased and felt safe to plan flights and tours.

quest-deck-06_copy.jpg

Deck 6 Quest, 6090 is aft, next to suite 6088

Then last summer, there was a booking sanfu with our TA and we lost our cabin for a few days after final payment was made, through no fault of Azamara. But the cabin was snatched up by someone else quickly and we thought we'd be moved to a Club Continent Suite at our TA's expense. We really enjoy the panoramic aft balconies, so we were disappointed, but luckily, my TA was able to work with Azamara and within a few days the cabin became available again and we were back in business!

166448048.jpg

cabin 6090 AZ Quest- check out how tight the bed is to the wall!

166448050.jpg

Cabin 6090 AZ Quest

We enjoyed our aft balcony, but in the end decided we do not need to book this cabin on Azamara in the future. We usually book them for the larger balcony and panoramic views on other ships, to enjoy a quiet spot for lounging, and to take in the sailaway. With so few "sea days" on this itienrary, and with the long days in port, it was often too dark to enjoy the balcony at all for sailaway! Also, when there was something very interesting going on outside, usually we preferred to be on the outside decks on 9 or 10 where we could hear the commentary. Here is my quick Pro and Con list for this cabin (and aft cabins in general)

Pros

-Panoramic Views (albeit of where you've been)

-Quiet, rarely trafficked area of the ship, and on these smaller ships, not really very far to walk to get to anywere else.

-We never noticed soot on our balcony

-The balcony was larger, allowing us to stretch out

Cons

-We noticed sgnificant vibration during times when the ship was at full speed (on our cruise, this was one or two late nights when we had a lot of distance to travel)

-The cabin was very narrow between the bed and the wall.

-Unlike aft balconies on some other lines, there were no loungers on the VX balcony, and there was no way to hear public narration in your cabin.

-Wow, is that shower tiny! And the curtain...but that's been discussed, here, by the CD, by the comedians...let's just say we are built with more heeight than width!

Once all the booking drama was over, the rest of our cruise and planning went without a hitch!

PS We didnt do a photo tour of Quest, becasue its almost exactly like it's sister Journey, with the exception of the art work in the stairwell- see our ship tour of Journey here if you are interested: http://www.goseeittravel.com/azamara-journey/

quest-deck-06_copy.jpg

Booking Drama

We had booked this cruise nearly 2 years in advance, we had been on a river cruise in Central and Eastern Europe and everyone we met there said we should go to the Adriatic Coast, particularly, Croatia. We knew we had a big anniversary, and decided to find a cruise that included ports in Croatia and a call in Venice. We investigated PG's Moana and Windstar Cruises (the larger Windstar vessels and Viking Ocean were just coming online and we didn't have enough info to make them part of the calculus). Both advertise having the casual vibe we like, but neither features balcony cabins, so we decided to book the Azamara, and enjoy the Explorer level LCV benefits we'd earned being loyal to the company, and a balcony cabin. We booked so far in advance that we actually had time to book and TRAVEL on Azamara Journey (Miami- Costa Rica/Panama Canal- review in our signature)) before this cruise. We wanted to make sure we enjoyed the experience of Azamara before investing our anniversary trip on a 10 day trip with AZ.

Luckily, our Panama trip was excellent, and we felt very happy with our choice of Quest for our anniversary. At the time we booked, we were able to take advantage of a promotion of booking one category and getting to choose a VX cabin. Because we are big fans of aft cabins, we chose 6090. Sometime after booking, about a year or so before we traveled, Azamara started making some changes to itineraries to accommodate charters. For a while we weren't sure if we would be taking this cruise. Fortunately for us, after the dust settled, the charter happened the week before our cruise and our cruise in Oct was still a go, with an added bonus overnight in Venice, at no additional cost to those of us who were already booked. We were very pleased and felt safe to plan flights and tours.

quest-deck-06_copy.jpg

Deck 6 Quest, 6090 is aft, next to suite 6088

Then last summer, there was a booking sanfu with our TA and we lost our cabin for a few days after final payment was made, through no fault of Azamara. But the cabin was snatched up by someone else quickly and we thought we'd be moved to a Club Continent Suite at our TA's expense. We really enjoy the panoramic aft balconies, so we were disappointed, but luckily, my TA was able to work with Azamara and within a few days the cabin became available again and we were back in business!

166448048.jpg

cabin 6090 AZ Quest- check out how tight the bed is to the wall!

166448050.jpg

Cabin 6090 AZ Quest

We enjoyed our aft balcony, but in the end decided we do not need to book this cabin on Azamara in the future. We usually book them for the larger balcony and panoramic views on other ships, to enjoy a quiet spot for lounging, and to take in the sailaway. With so few "sea days" on this itienrary, and with the long days in port, it was often too dark to enjoy the balcony at all for sailaway! Also, when there was something very interesting going on outside, usually we preferred to be on the outside decks on 9 or 10 where we could hear the commentary. Here is my quick Pro and Con list for this cabin (and aft cabins in general)

Pros

-Panoramic Views (albeit of where you've been)

-Quiet, rarely trafficked area of the ship, and on these smaller ships, not really very far to walk to get to anywere else.

-We never noticed soot on our balcony

-The balcony was larger, allowing us to stretch out

Cons

-We noticed sgnificant vibration during times when the ship was at full speed (on our cruise, this was one or two late nights when we had a lot of distance to travel)

-The cabin was very narrow between the bed and the wall.

-Unlike aft balconies on some other lines, there were no loungers on the VX balcony, and there was no way to hear public narration in your cabin.

-Wow, is that shower tiny! And the curtain...but that's been discussed, here, by the CD, by the comedians...let's just say we are built with more heeight than width!

Once all the booking drama was over, the rest of our cruise and planning went without a hitch!

PS We didnt do a photo tour of Quest, becasue its almost exactly like it's sister Journey, with the exception of the art work in the stairwell- see our ship tour of Journey here if you are interested: http://www.goseeittravel.com/azamara-journey/

quest-deck-06_copy.jpg

Thanks for taking on the task of writing what is clearly going to be a most comprehensive review. DW and I and friends were aboard Quest for this cruise and, although we experienced a couple of glitches, I have to agree that it was an excellent experience overall. I look forward to reading the rest of your review.

By the way, for future reference, if you tune your TV to the bridge channel you can hear the public announcements in your stateroom.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks everyone for following along! Did I meet you folks on board? I didn’t make it to the Cruise Critic meet up. We just had so many private excursions booked we missed all the gatherings. Our TA offered one, we missed both of the LCV parties too. ! I feel like most of the folks we met had never heard of CC I’ll post some “people pics” tomorrow and maybe you’ll recognize us and can remind me if we’d met!

That’s good to know, about the bridge channel but when we turned the tv on and scrolled through the channels we never heard any commentary?

Working on Venice tonight so I can post more tomorrow.

Looking forward to your pictures. We were on Quest from Sept. 6 unti Sept. 26 and visited many of the same ports. We booked 2 years ago as well and were to originally be on the ship from the 26 until October 4. Sadly, we lost Split because of it but thoroughly enjoyed our 20 days.

We were in 8093 and loved it but we had issues with soot. They had to use some special solution to get rid of the soot. I would book a VX again, but on a lower deck because of the soot experience.

Thanks everyone for following along! Did I meet you folks on board? I didn’t make it to the Cruise Critic meet up. We just had so many private excursions booked we missed all the gatherings. Our TA offered one, we missed both of the LCV parties too. ! I feel like most of the folks we met had never heard of CC�� I’ll post some “people pics” tomorrow and maybe you’ll recognize us and can remind me if we’d met!

That’s good to know, about the bridge channel but when we turned the tv on and scrolled through the channels we never heard any commentary?

Working on Venice tonight so I can post more tomorrow.

Just found this review. Hope your family is doing well, look forward to seeing if you set off any alarms or caused any other problems this cruise.

Looking forward to your pictures. We were on Quest from Sept. 6 unti Sept. 26 and visited many of the same ports. We booked 2 years ago as well and were to originally be on the ship from the 26 until October 4. Sadly, we lost Split because of it but thoroughly enjoyed our 20 days.

We were in 8093 and loved it but we had issues with soot. They had to use some special solution to get rid of the soot. I would book a VX again, but on a lower deck because of the soot experience.

Thanks Midwestchick...hoping it brings good memories! Interesting about the soot, because I was thinking it might be less vibration on the higher decks than we had on the nights the captain was moving quickly! The rest of the cruise the cabin we had on Quest was quieter than some of the aft cabins we've had on higher decks on larger ships!

Just found this review. Hope your family is doing well, look forward to seeing if you set off any alarms or caused any other problems this cruise.

Thanks Bill! Nice of you to come find me here! Family is very well, kids all grown, on off the payroll ;) the other doing well in college. Hoping your family is well too! Thankfully, we had very few sanfus...and I made sure to use my own sea pass card:rolleyes:

Venice the Party?

Sorry, can't resist the pun! I have a OPI nail polish named 'Venice the Party" and it's one of my favorite colors! Of course, it had to be the title of my post about Venice! We arrived in Venice in the late afternoon after overnight travel from Boston to London, and a morning flight from London. The charm of Venice starts right away, because instead of a taxi...you get on a boat to get to most places in Venice!

166447886.jpg

The "taxi" stand near the airport

166447889.jpg

Yours truly, worse for the wear after hours (days?) of travel in the water taxi in Venice

When researching our trip, a friend of mine mentioned she used an Italian TA who puts together custom trips to Italy. He takes your interests and then customizes an itinerary, books 3 or 4 star hotels for you and even provides an Italian cell phone with the itinerary downloaded, that you can use for GPS, or to contact tour guides during your stay. I contacted Matteo about not only handling the Venice and Rome portions of our trip, but also about providing us with excursion options for our Italian ports of call. (He doesn't sell cruises, but I won't mention his name here, just to stay in the good graces of CC, but I do mention his business in my blog) This was something he said he could do, and he put together a completely seamless itinerary for us. At the time, the price for two of us 3 nights in Italian hotels in Venice and Rome, a special dinner out at a Michilen starred restaurant, all our transfers and 8 privately guided tours (many with meals and alcohol inclusive) cost us about as much as one persons fare on Azamara. Before we traveled, I thought it was a big splurge ("but its for our anniversary!") but once I started seeing the costs of transfers and private tours in the ports of call, after we traveled and I realized that we had some truly "one of a kind" experiences, I think what we paid was a very good value for what we experienced!!

166448023.jpg

Our Venice hotel was Hotel Palazzo Stern, located in the Dorsoduro section near Academia

166447902.jpg

Our room at Hotel Palazzo Stern

Like most European hotels, the room was small, but seemed more spacious becasue of the huge high ceilings. The service was excellent and the Ca Rezzonico Vaporetto station was right next door.

166448021.jpg

View to the Academia Bridge from the Hotel Palazzo Stern

Getting Lost in Venice

166447904.jpg

Everyone says getting lost in Venice is part of it's charms. Being hyper organized, it's hard for me allow myself to "waste time" getting lost! But I'm learning, that sometimes letting a place unfold itself instead of trying to conquer it often leads to a better experience. Luckily, we were too tired to plan anything the first evening we arrived in Venice, so we "got lost".

We really did! The concierge pointed us in one direction to find a good pizza place (we heard pizza was a good bet in Venice) and we promptly headed out in the WRONG direction. We put the name of the pizza joint in the GPS and it took us to a completely different (but excellent pizza restaurant) In the process we wandered nearly 4 miles all around San Croce and San Polo, turning only when something interested us or the GPS lady told us to. We weren't so alone that we worried about our safety (we never felt like "oops, we REALLY shouldn't be here!") but we also were far from the maddening crowds and felt like we were finding something no one else ever had! (which certainly wasn't true, but isn't it nice to feel that way once in a while!)

166447981.jpg

166447987.jpg

For a little more about getting around Venice, more photos and some of our impressions, see our first Venice blog post here: http://www.goseeittravel.com/travel-blog/2017/10/24/venice-the-party http://http://www.goseeittravel.com/travel-blog/2017/10/24/venice-the-party

Getting Found in Venice

The next morning, our guide, Andrea, met us in the lobby of our hotel with a private taxi boat. He took us on a one hour tour on the Grand Canal and around the archipelago of islets that make up Venice, explaining the history of Venice while pointing out the important sights. This gave us an excellent overview of the city, and really helped us understand the watery nature of Venice. We visited both the Grand Canal and some of the smaller, atmospheric canals. Everything moves around on the canals!

166447921.jpg

Quiet canals

166447915.jpg

And the busier Grand Canal Academia Bridge

One thing to know- private taxis cannot make a complete tour of the Grand Canal because they are not allowed to go under the Rialto Bridge. The private taxis can go near it for a photo op, then turn down a side canal or go back the way they came. For a trip UNDER the bridge (if that matters to you) you have to take the Vaporetto.

Our taxi left of us off at San Marco, right at St Marks Square. Andrea then gave us an orientation of Saint Marks Square and Bascillica San Marco before we went inside with "skip the line" access.

166447938.jpg

St Marks Bell Tower

166447948.jpg

St Marks from the Square

I really enjoy having a local guide with a small group or private tour, because I think the best guides are able to determine your interests and show you the side of their hometown that will most ineterst you. It allows you to ask questions and learn about daily life of people in the area. The best ones understand the history of the place and can put that in context...the best ones do what Andrea did...make your tour a "conversation" about what you are seeing and doing, with an interesting local.

After exploring Saint Marks Square for a bit, we entered the Bascillica. Photos aren't allowed in the Bascillica, but we were fortunate it was pretty quiet inside and we paid extra to see the Pala d'Oro (the golden altarpiece) This is an incredible piece of art and we had a great close up view so Andrea could take 10 minutes to explain all the different parts of the altar piece to us.

166447953.jpg

You needn't go to Pisa for leaning towers, if you look carefully, many of Venice's towers are no longer straight!

One of the best things about a private guided tour is the ability to have extra time to go off the beaten path. Our guide took us along some back canals and alleys allowing us to explore and take photos. At the end of our 1/2 day tour he walked us to a restaruant he recommended fro lunch. This was a good thing because it's difficult to know which places are "good" in a place where so many people show up just once. We enjoyed Andrea's guiding so much that we made plans to tour the Doge's Palace with Andrea the next day after embarking Quest.

We spent the rest of afternoon getting lost again! And had a very special anniversary dinner at Il Ridotto, in Castello arranged for us by Matteo.

166448006.jpg

In St Marks Square at sunset

I'll be posting more of our photos from the boat trip and wanderings on our first day on our website, where it's easier to post multiple photographs!

We were also on this cruise with you as well as the one that followed it. I know we never met on the cruise, after seeing your picture. There were several on the roll call that we never met to be honest. Did make it to the CC Meet the first night, but getting around to everyone is difficult.

We spent 3 nights in Venice ahead of the cruise. Have been there before and never tire of it.

So agree with your comments about the staff and the ship. Everyone was so nice and we were happy to see one of the crew from our trip on the Journey two years ago.

The cruise after this certainly felt different. We had baby's and a much younger group. Was still a great cruise also.

Look forward to your pictures.

Susan

Hi Familygoboston,

I'm so glad you enjoyed your big anniversary on Azamara!

I'll be following along as you post more pictures and the cruise review. Thank you!

Bonnie

Thanks Bonnie! Had a big storm last night here and lost power, but getting back at it today!

Thanks, Susan, sorry we didn't meet! We didn't meet a lot of people on this cruise...that's a topic for today's posts!

Thanks Tom and Missy for following along...now that the lights are back on...here we go!

The Non Compliant Passengers

166460251.jpg

Quest at San Basillio Port

You know how there’s always that one couple who just can’t figure out how to get with the program?! Well, somehow on this cruise that couple turned out to be US! Kind invitations to parties we didn’t have time to attend piled up in our cabin, we were always one of the last to board, although always well before the all aboard time! We skipped shows, dined at the buffet nearly every night, neglected to stand in line to fist bump the captain and officers on Captains Night. (Although we did have a nice “hey how do you do” moment with the Captain when we passed the him and his group while hiking on the Path of the Gods in Amalfi) We were just that couple who was too busy doing our own thing to engage with the whole “cruise experience” this time around. And it all started when we inadvertently scheduled a tour during the muster drill!

It's not often that FamilyGoBoston goes rouge, booking spontaneous excursions...but there were were in St Marks Square after a great tour with Andrea, saying " Sure... we can do a tour of Doges's Palace from 3:30 - 5:30 PM on Embarkation Day!"

166460213.jpg

Kathy with our Venetian tour guide Andrea Bressan

We mistakenly assumed that muster would happen on the day we actually sailed, not the pre day while we were just docked in port and we scheduled an impromptu late day tour in Venice. Oops! Luckily, we informed the staff at Guest Services as soon as we boarded and they couldn't have handled it better! We arranged ahead of time to attend the “make up” drill at 8:15 for late arriving passengers, so our attendants weren't looking for us at the 5 PM drill.

What we encountered at Guest Services is similar to what we experienced on our earlier Azamara Cruise, that the officers and crew are very respectful of their passengers' independent arrangements. So long as the arrangements don't impede on others' cruise experience (like being late to board, which is never ok!) Azamara is willing to work with passengers to accommodate their independent arrangements, and that flexibility really impresses me!

We enjoyed a relaxing morning at the Pallazzo Stern and took our pre-arranged for a water taxi to San Basillio at 11 AM. We were at the port by 11:30 and boarding started at 11:45 AM. (The people leaving the prior week charter didn't have much to pack :')) If you were to stay in the Academia area and pack lightly, there is a fairly straight route along the canal, over a single bridge and along the wide waterfront walkway bordering the Golfo Di Venice. However, staying in St Marks and trying to take the vaporetto with luggage, even on wheels is pretty awkward.

166460265.jpg

The Port of Venice from on board Quest

The crowd on board

We had a mix of British, Canadian, Australian and Americans on board, with a smattering of folks from other countries. Most folks were in their 60's or 70's with some 50's and 80's on the edges...we had no children passengers on this cruise that I saw. We did not find the mix as convivial as our Azamara Panama Canal Cruise. Most of it, I'm sure was the lack of any "sea days". We were busy off touring every day, it was difficult to connect with folks with so little time on board. We also had all those cocktail parties we were too tired to attend!

But we also felt the sting of the weird political fall out over the last year. It seemed like as soon as people found out we were American, they politely moved on. This is the first time we ever found it difficult to engage with fellow passengers on a trip. We met a few nice folks to chat with at breakfast, but on our last cruise, there were more invitations to dinner than nights to dine!

Now perhaps none of this is political , and it was all personal, maybe DH and I are so personally odious and obnoxious that others wish to avoid us from the moment they spot our sneakers and cargo pants, I can’t say for sure. :') But if I had to guess, I’d say that most folks we met, baffled by what is happening in the US right now, just found it easier to give all Americans a wide berth. In any case, this was our first trip abroad where we experienced this in more than 30 years of traveling.

Next up...our tour of Doge's Palace and boat trip to Murano/Burano/Torcello

I'm sorry we didn't get to meet you - we, too, were "that couple" who failed to attend most of the events. We were either out doing something else or recharging our batteries.

I didn't find the same aversion to Americans that you did. But, as we really are odious obnoxious people, we've seldom been invited to dine with others.:p

I'm looking forward to the rest of your review!

But, as we really are odious obnoxious people, we've seldom been invited to dine with others.:p

I'm looking forward to the rest of your review!

Lol! :eek::') I really doubt that! Ha ha! It’s goign to have to wait, I have a work commitment tonight and lost the whole morning to the power outage! ;p

Also, has anyone who has done a photo review recently found that it’s very very difficult to get the photos to load? I’m finding it’s just taking me too much of my day to get the photos up! I think I’m going to have to rethink, do a little less here and have people look at photos on our website. :( I can’t get the link a photo icon to work at all, and when I use my own convention around the URL, sometimes the photo doesn’t post at all. I think I’ll walk through the ports and who we used for tours with just a photo or two, and share our experiences about White Night and other fun Azamara stuff!

I’ll be back at it tomorrow!

We were another one of "those couples". We arrived back on ship each day exhausted and with sore feet! The best!

Looking forward to the rest of your report.

Funny thing.... small ship.... no recollection of seeing you on board!

Familygoboston

I use the app to load my photos, which I find very easy. I just click on the mountain icon, which takes me to my camera roll. Select the photo you want to upload and bingo it’s attached when you press save.

Sent from my iPad using Forums3715b25fe4a5e2a11a7b5d82c5e936ce.jpg

Thanks Jackie! Unfortunately, I I use my computer to upload the photos, which come from my husbands SLR(no camera roll) and haven't tried to see if the app works on the computer, and would access my personal files, but I doubt it. If I'm on board, or on the go, I could use the mobile app, but for this purpose, I really can't use my phone because the "mountain" icon requests a URL and only accepts it from certain on line places (no drop box) and it's a PIA for me to upload the photos, then link them here :( I'll do a few and share the rest on my own site.