Cancelling ship's shore excursions - refunds?

cruisingaussies

As you are in Australia the position is a little different.

If you cancel before you board you are refunded to the credit card you used to pay the trip. However it’s not an exact match of what you paid, usually a bit less. The reason is the excursion is actually traded in a US dollar value, so your purchase price is at a sell to you (lower) currency rate - hence the odd sums sometimes charged in your local currency. When they refund you it’s at the buy back (higher) value so unless your local currency has fallen a lot since you purchased the excursion you lose a little plus you may also have some small bank handling fees.

Onboard the US dollar refund is applied to your onboard account. You may of course spend that onboard or if not again the balance on your account that is refundable (and refunded Land Discoveries are credited as refundable OBC) is passed back to your credit card, either converted by the cruiseline into Oz dollars (never advisable) or by your credit card company. You decide which of these options you are having as part of the check in process on the form you complete re your credit card.

Thanks, both of you, for your replies.

Ann, thanks especially for going into so much detail. I still have a question I'd like to ask you but not one that I can post here, so would really appreciate it if you could get in touch when you have a mo (nothing to do with gargoyles, promise!). Email is: kempsontour AT yahoo DOT com DOT au

Brenda

If you cancel before you board you are refunded to the credit card you used to pay the trip. However it’s not an exact match of what you paid, usually a bit less.

I want to point out that for some markets that would be Illegal.

I work at the Nordic market and a shore excursion is always refunded the EXACT same amount from the creditcard to ordered the excursion. (Not the card that paid the cruise, That would also be illegal).

as for the OP's question.

<li class="TopList">Azamara Club Cruises Policy: For tours departing on or after March 29th, 2017, the tour cancellation policy allows guests to cancel or modify tour reservations up to 48 hours prior to the scheduled tour departure without penalty. If changing or canceling a shore excursion within the appropriate non-penalty period, our valued guests will have two options:

• <li class="TopList">They can either contact the Shore Excursions team to reserve another tour, or <li class="TopList">If they choose to cancel, will have their onboard account credited in the full amount of the tour cost without penalty or fee.
  • The cancellation policy does not apply to "Cruise Global, Customize Local" tours (formerly known as Private Journeys) and ticketed events (Grand Prix, British Open, Etc.), which must be canceled at least 30 days in advance.

I want to point out that for some markets that would be Illegal.

I work at the Nordic market and a shore excursion is always refunded the EXACT same amount from the creditcard to ordered the excursion. (Not the card that paid the cruise, That would also be illegal).

as for the OP's question.

<li class="TopList">Azamara Club Cruises Policy: For tours departing on or after March 29th, 2017, the tour cancellation policy allows guests to cancel or modify tour reservations up to 48 hours prior to the scheduled tour departure without penalty. If changing or canceling a shore excursion within the appropriate non-penalty period, our valued guests will have two options:

• <li class="TopList">They can either contact the Shore Excursions team to reserve another tour, or <li class="TopList">If they choose to cancel, will have their onboard account credited in the full amount of the tour cost without penalty or fee.
  • The cancellation policy does not apply to "Cruise Global, Customize Local" tours (formerly known as Private Journeys) and ticketed events (Grand Prix, British Open, Etc.), which must be canceled at least 30 days in advance.

So are you saying anyone in Norway is able to use the onboard credit workaround with no exchange rate penalty? I would like to hear from someone other than someone from the USA or with a dollar credit card who had an exact match refund in their local currency