What is a guarantee

deus

We have two cruises that we put deposits down for 2019. Chile to Papeete (Jan 3/2019) and Papeete to Papeete on Marina. I get seasick very easily - I actually get it while snorkeling so I like to be mid ship. I have to take medication in order to cruise - I don't mind. The cruise from Chile to Papeete was waitlisted so we were given a "guarantee". Papeete to Papeete we have an assigned cabin. We will probably have to move for the second cruise, but I don't care.

My question is regarding the term "guarantee". I think I will get the level I want which is a deluxe oceanview but if that is not available and they move me to a veranda do I have to pay for that level? OR do they just say too bad so sad you don't get what you want and we have to chose to go and pay for the balcony level or cancel at that point? How does this work? To go from an DOV to a balcony is about $1600 for two. I doubt they would move us up because of the difference in price.

Thanks.

If you have a GTY for a C cabin they will get you a C or they could upgrade you to another cabin cat that is available n/c

They could also offer you an upsell to another Cabin Cat for a fee

you are not required to accept unless you choose to pay the fee & upgrade

The GTY means you are on the ship

The waitlist option is you may or may not be on the ship

We have two cruises that we put deposits down for 2019. Chile to Papeete (Jan 3/2019) and Papeete to Papeete on Marina. I get seasick very easily - I actually get it while snorkeling so I like to be mid ship. I have to take medication in order to cruise - I don't mind. The cruise from Chile to Papeete was waitlisted so we were given a "guarantee". Papeete to Papeete we have an assigned cabin. We will probably have to move for the second cruise, but I don't care.

My question is regarding the term "guarantee". I think I will get the level I want which is a deluxe oceanview but if that is not available and they move me to a veranda do I have to pay for that level? OR do they just say too bad so sad you don't get what you want and we have to chose to go and pay for the balcony level or cancel at that point? How does this work? To go from an DOV to a balcony is about $1600 for two. I doubt they would move us up because of the difference in price.

Thanks.

I agree with my compatriots that buying into "a Guarantee" means that you are guaranteed a space on the ship in at least the Category that you bought in on (and perhaps in a better cabin if you are lucky or are willing to spend more money).

As a person who has sea sickness issues, what you will want to be wary of is that you may be placed in an area of the ship where you find the ride uncomfortable. It is a bad idea to save $500 on an $8000 cruise if you spend the entire time examining the workmanship of the wall paneling opposite the commode.

Thank you for all your informative replies!

Jim & Stan - Just to let you know that I have to take medication for the length of the cruise so I am not like as your described. Thank you for your information!

Lauren