First time cruising in a wheel chair looking for some information.

wheelsforfun

First time cruising since my disability and I'm not sure if I'm more scared or excited about this cruise. I am in a wheelchair now we are heading out on Carnaval, the ship is the magic, I've booked the stateroom 7270 fully accessible. we are heading to the eastern Caribbean 7-day cruise April-21-2018 to AmberCove, St Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk. What I like to know is has anyone stayed in this room on the magic, and if you can give me an idea of what its like with a wheelchair in the room. Also, has anyone cruised these destinations and is their excursions to do off the ship at these ports that will except wheelchair access. I've heard Amber cove is really nice and I would assume that it is very handicap accessible. I would think at the other stops you can get off the ship and get around them in the shopping areas in an electric wheelchair.

One more thing does anyone know if at Amber Cove is their handicap transportation to Puerto Plata.

Any help that I can get would be wonderful thank you all very much for listening.

PS. Really IM just glad to be back on the ship after so long, but anything else would just be the cherry on top of the cake.. thanks again :cool:

I wish you a wonderful cruise.

Let me suggest posting this on two different boards.

First on the Carnival Cruise Line Board at: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=215

Second on the Disabled Cruise Line Board at:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=190

You should be able to get a lot of input on those two pboards.

Keith

I see that you posted on the Disabled board before you came here as well as your Roll Call board.

You should also ask questions on the Carnival board.

There are a lot of handicapped people sailing on ships. I have seen quite a few electric wheel chairs. You will be fine. Relax and enjoy your cruise.

If you have a fully accessible cabin, you should have ample room to maneuver in the wheelchair. You will have a roll-in shower, and grab bars in the bathroom to help you. If you have a balcony, there will be a ramp of sorts so you can access that balcony. Go...enjoy! It will be fine!

I’ve cruised a few times with a wheelchair, but I have limited mobility, not no mobility. I always use a power chair.

And not with Carnival. Nor that itinerary.

I’ve found accessible cabins to have plenty of room for a chair, and the staff to be fantastic in terms of helping.

However some of your fellow travelers will not be so helpful, though the majority will go out of their way to help if they can.

Amber Cove is a good try at being wheelchair friendly. There is a ramp all the way up to the hilltop bar but boy, it is steep. St. Thomas downtown would be difficult to maneuver, sidewalks are cramped and broken. Same with San Juan. Grand Turk port area is very manageable.