Garment bag/baggage & honeymoon/name?

KAnne1989

Hello, all!

My name is Kathy and I just got married last weekend! I apologize ahead of time for the several questions I have. I am very OCD on having to know to the detail on things this big.

We are going on a 5 day cruise soon on Elation. I have a small backpack for carry on (prescriptions, etc) and a rolling duffel. My now-husband has a small suitcase and backpack but also a garment bag for his suit and my gown for formal night.

Will the garment bag have to be counted as one of our carry on bags since we will already had a small carry on bags and a "checked/suitcase" (though we don't plan to use a porter - just plan on bringing them on with us :))?

Also! (Sorry!) He put me down under his last name though obviously I have not had time to change my SS card or passport. I just need to bring my passport and marriage certificate correct?

Thank you so much! ❤

Hello, all!

My name is Kathy and I just got married last weekend! I apologize ahead of time for the several questions I have. I am very OCD on having to know to the detail on things this big.

We are going on a 5 day cruise soon on Elation. I have a small backpack for carry on (prescriptions, etc) and a rolling duffel. My now-husband has a small suitcase and backpack but also a garment bag for his suit and my gown for formal night.

Will the garment bag have to be counted as one of our carry on bags since we will already had a small carry on bags and a "checked/suitcase" (though we don't plan to use a porter - just plan on bringing them on with us :))?

Also! (Sorry!) He put me down under his last name though obviously I have not had time to change my SS card or passport. I just need to bring my passport and marriage certificate correct?

Thank you so much! ❤

A cruise ship is not like the airlines. You can bring as many bags as you like. In order to carry them on they do have to fit through the scanner.

Just remember the rooms are not ready until about 1pm so you will be carrying everything around with you until then. (unless you purchased Faster To The Fun or are Platinum and above)

A cruise ship is not like the airlines. You can bring as many bags as you like. In order to carry them on they do have to fit through the scanner.

Just remember the rooms are not ready until about 1pm so you will be carrying everything around with you until then. (unless you purchased Faster To The Fun or are Platinum and above)

They told us we should be there to board 130-2 when we just did online check in. So our room may already be ready? That would be awesome if so.

But either way, it wouldn't be a big thing to carry what we have. I just wanted to be sure about bringing the garment bag in addition to our two backpacks and two small suitcases.

I got so used to flying that my mind went autopilot to TSA since we havent cruised before.

And being newly married, he put my name as his last name though we havent had time to change it with SS office or on passport obviously.

Looks like I just need my passport and marriage certificate?

I am sure your passport and marriage certificate will be okay, but if I were you I would pose this question over on the Carnival board so that recent cruisers can give you an exact answer.

Normally they prefer the name on your boarding pass and your ID to match exactly.

Congratulations on your marriage and have a wonderful cruise!!!

Your name on your ID's MUST match your reservation. If you haven't updated your ID's yet, have new hubby call and change your name to what is on your ID's, or you will NOT be boarding the ship (or the airplane, if you're flying)!

Hello, all!

Thank you so much! ❤

Your name on your ID's MUST match your reservation. If you haven't updated your ID's yet, have new hubby call and change your name to what is on your ID's, or you will NOT be boarding the ship (or the airplane, if you're flying)!

This is correct. Your name must match exactly to your ID so either update your driver's license then bring your birth certificate AND marriage licence OR update your passport OR change the name on the cruise/plane reservations to your name on your current ID.

I went on my honeymoon (on Carnival, last month) before I was able to get my passport changed). I brought my current passport and marriage certificate and cruised under my new name. The guy at check-in was confused even thought I explained the situation (english was not his first language), I explained it again b/c he tried to look me up by the name on my passport, so he asked someone else for help and it was fine. Your SS card is not a factor, and you shouldn't bring it with you. I did already change my drivers license so I was able to use that when getting back on the ship, but did not show it at check -in. If you if you don't have a driver's license with your new name, you will need to bring your certificate with you off the ship at port stops, and show it with your passport to get back on. (If you haven't cruised before, they require a photo ID to prove that you are the person that your cruise card belongs to. )

I went on my honeymoon (on Carnival, last month) before I was able to get my passport changed). I brought my current passport and marriage certificate and cruised under my new name. The guy at check-in was confused even thought I explained the situation (english was not his first language), I explained it again b/c he tried to look me up by the name on my passport, so he asked someone else for help and it was fine. Your SS card is not a factor, and you shouldn't bring it with you. I did already change my drivers license so I was able to use that when getting back on the ship, but did not show it at check -in. If you if you don't have a driver's license with your new name, you will need to bring your certificate with you off the ship at port stops, and show it with your passport to get back on. (If you haven't cruised before, they require a photo ID to prove that you are the person that your cruise card belongs to. )

You were lucky.

We never carry our luggage on. The pier area is pretty big and the ships are massive. It’s a pain lugging bags around. You don’t have to carry all of your bags on board with you if you don’t want to. The porters will take them onboard for you free of charge. Tipping is encouraged though, they work very hard moving all of that luggage all day. If you decide to let the porters take your luggage, be sure to keep all passports, ID, and cruise documents with you in your carry on. They won’t let you on board without it.

They told us we should be there to board 130-2 when we just did online check in. So our room may already be ready? That would be awesome if so.

Your boarding time is not necessarily the time your room will be ready for you. So it is one thing to carry a bunch of luggage on to the ship, and quite another to continuing to lug everything around with you for what could be a couple of hours on the ship before you can get in your room.

Your boarding time is not necessarily the time your room will be ready for you. So it is one thing to carry a bunch of luggage on to the ship, and quite another to continuing to lug everything around with you for what could be a couple of hours on the ship before you can get in your room.

If their check-in time is 1:30-2:00, all rooms will be ready when they board, as they open (typically) at 1:30.

Your passport and marriage certificate will almost certainly be ok. BUT if it were me I would want to be 100% sure and not subject to the mood of the person checking me in that day. I would call the cruise line and change your last name on the reservation to the name that matches your passport. It should be an easy thing to do.

You were lucky.

I wasn't lucky; I followed Carnival's policies: https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3409/~/travel-documentation%3A-u.s.-citizens (see "names on travel documents")

A marriage certificate is acceptable if ID and name do not match (also need passport or birth certificate, etc.)

I didn't change my name on my reservation until confirming I could use my certificate on Carnival's website.

Your passport and marriage certificate will almost certainly be ok. BUT if it were me I would want to be 100% sure and not subject to the mood of the person checking me in that day. I would call the cruise line and change your last name on the reservation to the name that matches your passport. It should be an easy thing to do.

Carnival publishes that marriage certificate is acceptable with passport.

I just got back from my cruise honeymoon and, yes, it was worth it to me to have to explain at check in a couple of times, in order to be addressed by my new married name I waited so long to get.

I checked online first to make sure I could.

• 3 weeks later...

As mentioned above, your legal name needs to match the name on your reservation.

Although...my last name was changed in 2013, but my passport had 9 years left on it. I neglected to change my passwort within a year of my name change, so to do so would have cost the same as buying a new passport. And I'm too frugal to pay again. When I travel I use my passport and my maiden name.

I bring my DL and marriage cert just in case, but have never had a problem traveling under my maiden name. Even though it's not my legal name anymore.

Just call the cruise line asap and explain. They will change your name on the booking.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Personally, I wouldn't be comfortable with a reservation and ID in different names, even with the marriage certificate. Will you have time to get the marriage certificate to sail? Where I live, the form has to be mailed within 48 hours of the marriage by the officiant and then it has to be processed by town hall. The absolute safest thing to do is call and change your name on the reservation.

That being said....I watched a Travel Channel special on the maiden voyage of Oasis of the Seas. The documentation requirements for embarkation are set by U.S. Customs and Immigration. So, if you can prove that the person on the ID is the same person on the reservation, then you're set. They specifically mentioned to another honeymooning couple (who did the same thing) that a marriage license would satisfy U.S. Customs.

It's the government. You really don't want to play around with them.

• 2 months later...
You realize that elegant night doens't require a gown nor a suit. Your DH just needs a pair of pants and a shirt with a collar not even a necktie. You can get by with a sundress or slacks and a nice top.

I'm going on my first cruise in December - my fiance (will be my hubby by that time :D:D ) will be taking formalwear with us, I'll have a cocktail gown, and he will have a jacket and tie. I know that most people don't dress up very much anymore, but we look forward to the "fun-ness" of doing so, and maybe have a sweet dance under the stars. (We are super mushy lol)

Edited by AngloWarrior
corrected the emoji mess

You were lucky.

Why?

A marriage certificate is a legal document that bridges the change in name.

If the ID and reservation do not make, you have to have a legal document that shows why it is the same person. Marriage certificate is that.

I'm going on my first cruise in December - my fiance (will be my hubby by that time :D:D ) will be taking formalwear with us, I'll have a cocktail gown, and he will have a jacket and tie. I know that most people don't dress up very much anymore, but we look forward to the "fun-ness" of doing so, and maybe have a sweet dance under the stars. (We are super mushy lol)

Congratulations:hearteyes: and good for you for dressing up:cool:

While it is good for passengers to know they don't have to dress up, it's equally nice to know that you won't be out of place if you choose more formal than just a collared shirt and pants. Our last cruise had quite a few people dressed up for both formal nights.