NCL to HAL

gknep

I have sailed on both NCL and HAL multiple times. In some ways they are similar and other ways they are different. I think NCL has better entertainment than HAL. NCL does have more pay restaurants available than HAL does. As far as the MDR I think I would rate HAL a little better than NCL. As far as the buffet, both have pluses and minuses, but I would give the edge to HAL. Service is usually excellent on both, as they both seem to have very happy and courteous staff members. HAL does have an older demographic than NCL does, but then their ships are more classical in style than NCL's are. HAL does not offer the megaships like NCL does with their newer ships. The ships on HAL vary in size from smaller ships to mid size ships, while NCL ships will vary from mid size to mega ships. I do think that HAL has better itineraries than NCL does, as the smaller ships can get into ports the larger ships can not stop at.

If you travel for the ship then NCL might be a better fit for you. If you travel more for the destination ports, I think HAL might be a better fit for you. It will depend on what you are looking for in your cruise. I think both cruise lines offer a good value for the money.

I am platinum on NCL and just a 2 star mariner on HAL, but my last few trips have been with HAL, as I sail more for the itinerary rather than the ship, and I am not a mega ship fan, and that is the direction that NCL is moving in with their new ships. I would not be afraid to sail on either line, but only you know what is important to you in choosing a cruise. Good Luck and Happy Sailing.

At least until recently HAL MDR’s provided good food well served- something you would have to go to the (extra fee) specialty restaurants on NCL.

NCL ships have livelier entertainment, but somehow always seem crowded in all public spaces.

HAL attracts a more mature mix while NCL attracts a younger, more energetic crowd. Aesthetically, HAL ships look more like classic ships while NCL ships are painted like circus clown cars.

We like both NCL and HAL...when traveling with our son (16) or other kids we typically go NCL, but when the DW and I want s quiet relaxing vacation, it’s HAL all the way. Staff are great on both, but the staff on HAL has quite an edge in my opinion...they, in general, are all just so over the top kind.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've only ever cruised with NCL and am looking at booking with HAL. For those that have cruised both lines what differences will I notice?

We have literally just returned from our first NCL (Gem) cruise and will never go back. Nothing beats the classiness of Holland IMHO.

Of the 6 cruise lines I have sailed on , NCL and HAL were the furthest apart , HAL is more inclusive , sedate and refined . I imagine it's closer to what cruising used to be like . Norwegian has many many more extra pay options and is always innovating, or if you prefer , figuring out ways to get you to spend more . It's a younger more energetic vibe . It has a bunch of mega ships far bigger than any Holland ship with all the bells and whistles .

I enjoyed both .

At least until recently HAL MDR’s provided good food well served- something you would have to go to the (extra fee) specialty restaurants on NCL.

NCL ships have livelier entertainment, but somehow always seem crowded in all public spaces.

HAL attracts a more mature mix while NCL attracts a younger, more energetic crowd. Aesthetically, HAL ships look more like classic ships while NCL ships are painted like circus clown cars.

I agree, clown car or cheap bordello. Although we have enjoyed a couple of NCL ships. On the Epic we stayed in the Haven and happy we did. We really don't care for the ships with an amusement park on top.

Of all the HAL ships we've sailed on only one had a minor (to us) problem. A water pipe came loose or busted in our suite. Bit of a mess but it was an older ship.

Of all of the NCL ships we've sailed, the Epic was too big with the aforementioned amusement park and the Sun, the Sun... We were not on the Panama Canal construction cruise that was in the news a few months back but on an earlier cruise that was close to being that bad. It was a drydock at sea. I would never book a cruise on the Sun again and have since thought NCL should have given that ship an viking funeral, set it ablaze and sail it off into the sunset.

I've only ever cruised with NCL and am looking at booking with HAL. For those that have cruised both lines what differences will I notice?

There are many differences between NCL and HAL (many of which are noted above) but IMHO there is only one significant difference - only HAL has a Roman Catholic priest (who celebrates daily Mass) on board every one of its cruises. Since spiritual renewal is an important component of our vacation experience, HAL is our hands-down choice. Depending on your priorities, HAL may also be your choice.