Bay of Biscay

ozzysdad

I know there's no definitive answer so the question I'm asking is more to do with your own experiences, was looking at the Iberian cruises on Ventura for 2018 and would like to know if there would be any difference in the sea conditions between the cruise at the end of March and the one that leaves the last week in May, I've read in places that it can be a bit unpredictable but would be interested to know what others have encountered, having only cruised in the Caribbean I've never had no worries over what we might encounter.

I've crossed the "Bag of Biscuits" more times than I can remember, and the only certainty is that you don't know what it's going to be like. The seas there can be rough or very rough in July/August; they can be calm in December/January.

It's not usually anywhere near as bad as most people fear. The deck officers will announce ahead of time if it's going to be rough and if so, take the (seasickness) tablets, secure the cabin, enjoy the ride....! But to be honest, by the end of March, and at the end of May, it's much more likely to be gentle seas than anything else.

We have been across the Bay of Biscay now a fair few times last time was end of March this year, I'm not a very good sea traveler but have never had any problems. As others will tell you it can be calm or it can be very rough, you pays your money and you takes your chance, just book it you'll be fine.

We've crossed the Bay more times than I can remember and I can honestly say some of our calmest crossings have been in January or February and the two worst ones I can remember were in April and August. however we really haven't had many bad crossings at all.

We were on the bay of biscay on the 3rd of April, and gosh, it was quite rough! The way back was quite calm though. The seas around the northwestern Spanish coast (around Vigo) was quite rough as well.

Even though we were mid aft we still felt it quite a bit - try and get a midships cabin, take some seasickness tablets if need be and wait it out. :)

Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

From my experience even the roughest crossing can be conducive to a good nights sleep with the rocking motion; but you might be kept awake by the creaking and groaning of the ship, which the Captain will tell you is what it's designed to do.

Probably crossed the Bay of Biscay a dozen times or more and only recall it being a bit rough once. Have had far worse conditions in the Atlantic returning from The Canaries (difficult to even stand up) and the worst by far was a freak force 10 storm in the Med!

I cannot recommend Stugeron strongly enough. Take 2 as the ship departs Southampton and then one before you go to bed and one each morning for the first few days and even if it does get rough you won't feel sea sick. I've tried other supposed sea sickness tablets and remedies but they don't work for me. Stugeron, however, has never let me down. They do make you feel a tiny bit drowsy (quite a nice 'chilled' feeling actually), but the good news is you can drink alcohol when taking them with no adverse affects. Follow my advice and you need never be concerned about sea conditions. I've gone from feeling sick as a dog to now quite enjoying rough weather!

Having crossed the BOB hundreds of times, as others have said, you cannot tell what it will be like I'm afraid.

If you suffer from seasickness take whatever works for you, and book a cabin that is lower down and central - this is the best place to be if you do suffer as that is where the ship moves the least.

Bear in mind that on the larger modern ships you are unlikely to know you are moving that much anyway.

We had a seriously bad crossing when leaving Portugal on Ventura in July last year and the ship was listing on a very funny angle which the Captain said was quite normal. The ship was light one side and dark the other. Ventura handled it well and the storm carried on through the night, unfortunately our cabin was at the front so we didn't get a particularly good nights sleep. I too take a sturgeon tablet before going to bed. I manage ok during the day. Had more good crossings than bad in Bay of Biscay.

We have taken several cruises across the Bay early in the med season April to May and late Sept to October. Personally I prefer the Britannia which obviously is a larger ship and travels well. I found the Ventura very lively last April when areas of the ship were restricted due to the heavy swells. The weather can vary such a lot. This year it was lovely last two weeks of April whereas last year early May it was dire. You just cant predict. It also depends where your cabin is and all I can say is thank goodness my cabin was midships on the Ventura. I also found the Britannia moves a lot more at the front . I think you pay your money you take your chance! Its can be a nice relaxing wind down travelling across the Bay at the start of your cruise. Enjoy!

We are first-tiimers on Ventura in October and crossing the Bay and my father mentioned about rough seas. I have only been seasick once and never forgotten it. I shall definitely be looking out for Sturgeon tablets!

Nicola Sturgeon tablets, thats a first..........better to take stugeron tablets they will be more effective.........LOL

Hahaha Mickey :D:D:D I have that woman on the brain. She gets everywhere, evidently she is deep in my sub-conscious. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have crossed the Bay of Biscay on at least 30 occasions on most months of the year mainly on a car ferry to Santander. Only on two of these journeys has the sea been rough; once in late April and again in November. Last week I crossed the Bay of Biscay on the Arcadia and again the sea was calm. I wouldn't take likely sea conditions into consideration firstly because such conditions are not as frequent as rumour would have it and secondly because sea height and wind strengths are unreliable to predict..

I have sailed through Biscay in a small yacht 4 times. Once we motored the whole way. Flat calm. The other times we encountered about force 5 or 6 an it wasn't that bad. To be honest, the ship doesn't actually go into Biscay itself, like we did on the yacht. They are further out. It's the shallow water that really causes a problem. However, as others have said, it can be calm in the winter and rough as hell in the summer, so just don't worry about it.

Over many years have been through the Bay of Biscay probably a dozen times, on ships from 15,000 tonnes to 115,000 tonnes, probably 50/50 light - medium swell to really heavy swells. On Adonia through there next year, see how she handles BOB.:halo:

my hubby and i travelled on Ventura 2016 jan. to the caneries. it was our first ever cruise and we went thro a force 12 storm and my did it rock and roll, but i took Sturgeon tablets two hours before we left southamton and i can honestly say i was absolutly fine and i am not a good sea traveller, ( or so i thought) it as not put us off. we have our second cruise booked for the caribbean 15 december 2017 for 2 weeks. cannot wait. its our 70ths and our golden wedding whilst we are on the ship. its our treat to ourselves.

• 2 weeks later...