Aurora Bruges rough weather concern

HampshireRose1977

The English Channel will not have the big rolling seas like the Bay. It might be a bit bumpy, but she's built like a liner unlike the big blocks of flatgs, so you should be OK>

Her upper decks may have been designed to look like ocean liners of the past, but underneath Aurora is just the same as all other recent cruise ships, other than QM2.

Having said that she should still be reasonably stable with her stabilisers deployed, but high winds will certainly impact her manoeuvrability since she has a standard prop. system rather than the better azipod systems.

Her upper decks may have been designed to look like ocean liners of the past, but underneath Aurora is just the same as all other recent cruise ships, other than QM2.

Having said that she should still be reasonably stable with her stabilisers deployed, but high winds will certainly impact her manoeuvrability since she has a standard prop. system rather than the better azipod systems.

You are absolutely right on that of course. What however, I think, gives Aurora (and Oriana) better sea-keeping capabilities is that they have a comparatively deeper draft than many other cruise ships. Aurora's draft is 26 feet, which is the same as Azura/Ventura and only a foot less than Britannia. With more of the ship below the water they are likely to handle rough seas a bit better.

For anyone using that ventusky site, note the wind speeds default to km/hr. They can be changed in the settings (I’ve found the settings are not stored each time I access the site) Just thought I’d say in case you get scared at the speeds...

Ah, thanks for pointing that out. I might keep the lashing down straps in the suitcase for now then!

When I was a child on the SS Uganda I couldn't stand the movement and as an adult cruiser I was apprehensive, but then decided I wouldn't give in to it and would block it out of my mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As a teen, I was on the Uganda's sister ship, the Nevassa.......the Adriatic in November did me in for years of cruising......but ships were smaller, and without the stabilizers etc they have now...... and I totally understand what those ships were like....

Have cruised a couple of times since without issue.....I think the trick is to get something into you BEFORE you even start to feel woozie ... I think maybe once the process has started in the body, it's harder to reverse than prevent.... (but everyone body is different for sure..... my friend insists if you carry a rock in your pocket you won't get sick....and it works for her)

Aurora is very stable being an old fashioned liner design with a pointed bottom instead of a flat one; I've been on her in a force 10 and she was fine.

Aurora is a modern design with a flat bottomed hull. Her hull is pointed from the bulbous bow to the shoulder; from the shoulder aft her hull has a flat bottom. Below is a picture of Oriana in dry dock; she's very similar to Aurora.

This is typical of passenger ships built since the early 1900s and earlier. The Olympic-class ships (Olympic, Brittanic and most famous Titanic) all were flat bottomed. So was the first ship I crossed the Atlantic on, Cunard's RMS Queen Elizabeth (launched in 1938).

drydock.JPG

We have just docked in Southampton on Aurora after an aborted 2 night cruise to Zeebrugge. We were unable to get in to Zeebrugge due to high winds and Captain Turnbull was unable to find us an alternative, so we spent the day cruising up to Lowestoft and back! Great shame for those for whom it was a genuine ‘taster cruise’ and for those who had booked specifically to go to Bruges, but Captain Turnbull’s announcement was very professional “my primary interest is, and always will be, the safety of the vessel and all those aboard”. Less of an issue for us as we are doing a back to back so are on board for another week. It was quite rough but the ship handled very well and Stugeron meant that neither my wife nor I felt even remotely out of sorts. Reassuring as we are doing a round trip to USA and Canada on her next year!

Hi Selbourne enjoy your first back to back! We've got our first one planned for next July and would love to hear how the process works. Everything from what's open during the day on board in Southampton, do you have to do two musters and how you get your new cruise cards. If you get time please could you post. We're really looking forward to wandering around when there's virtually no-one on board. Have a good cruise and hope you have more success getting into ports [emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi Selbourne enjoy your first back to back! We've got our first one planned for next July and would love to hear how the process works. Everything from what's open during the day on board in Southampton, do you have to do two musters and how you get your new cruise cards. If you get time please could you post. We're really looking forward to wandering around when there's virtually no-one on board. Have a good cruise and hope you have more success getting into ports [emoji4]

It’s all pretty straightforward. Go to breakfast as usual (note the Main Dining Room AND buffet both finish at 8.30am, so no chance of a lay in).

You have to go to reception during the morning for them to issue you with new cruise cards. Takes seconds but they have to re-link all passengers to the same account so that on board spend is attributed to the same card. You are meant to re-register your credit or debit card as well, but they said that ours had carried over to the 2nd cruise automatically, so no need (maybe it was because our first cruise was just 2 days). Best to do this after around 10am once all disembarking passengers have left, as there was a long queue until then and it was taking ages for each of the 2 staff on reception to deal with the queries. No queue at all after 10am.

Thereafter the ship is all yours. It’s a bit deserted and feels a bit odd. I would say exclusive, but none of the bars are open for service! You have access to everywhere (we set up camp in the Crows Nest) but the few staff visible are all busy setting up for the next cruise and no bars open until boarding commences at lunchtime. If you want tea or coffee, you have to make one yourself at the buffet. I did so and carried it up to the Crows Nest where Lady Selbourne was enjoying the tranquility. That’s until the ships tours started! Only kidding, we like the ships tours and have done a few ourselves. In fact, we’ve just spotted our last guide and had a nice chat with him whilst his group went ‘ooh’ and ‘aah’ at the views from the Crows Nest.

Embarkation day is usually the one and only time we use the buffet (for lunch), but on the last cruise and this one the Glass House is open for food from 12.30pm (drinks from midday). Hallelujah! What a much more civilised way to start a cruise!

I have already popped back to our cabin (we have the same one for both cruises) and was pleased to see that we have new complimentary bottles of water and, more importantly, another two vouchers for freebie Champagne due to our loyalty status. Might redeem thise with lunch, but then again the Glass House does sell Peller Ice Cuvée, which is our favourite fizz. Choices, choices.

Only downer is the Muster Drill. Having just double checked at reception, we DO have to attend the muster drill again. Even though the blurb on Horizon says ‘newly embarking passengers’, apparently the system changed when they started scanning cruise cards at the drill. If we don’t attend we will be hunted down.

Other than that, all very easy and the time passes quickly. On that note, the Glass House has just opened ......

Strange that Navigator OTS managed to dock in Zeebrugge yesterday, possibly because she uses Azipods for propulsion, which make a ship far more maneuverable.

This brings back memories of our New Year cruise on the Ventura( DEC 2015).

We had four days of going up and down the Channel/North Sea.

The Queen Victoria managed to dock even at Amsterdam due to the azipod system she uses but hey,

we got a cruise and enjoyed it despite the rough conditions.

Same as Selbourne (hope you enjoyed your cruise ) can tick off a cruise to nowhere :)

It’s all pretty straightforward. Go to breakfast as usual (note the Main Dining Room AND buffet both finish at 8.30am, so no chance of a lay in).

You have to go to reception during the morning for them to issue you with new cruise cards. Takes seconds but they have to re-link all passengers to the same account so that on board spend is attributed to the same card. You are meant to re-register your credit or debit card as well, but they said that ours had carried over to the 2nd cruise automatically, so no need (maybe it was because our first cruise was just 2 days). Best to do this after around 10am once all disembarking passengers have left, as there was a long queue until then and it was taking ages for each of the 2 staff on reception to deal with the queries. No queue at all after 10am.

Thereafter the ship is all yours. It’s a bit deserted and feels a bit odd. I would say exclusive, but none of the bars are open for service! You have access to everywhere (we set up camp in the Crows Nest) but the few staff visible are all busy setting up for the next cruise and no bars open until boarding commences at lunchtime. If you want tea or coffee, you have to make one yourself at the buffet. I did so and carried it up to the Crows Nest where Lady Selbourne was enjoying the tranquility. That’s until the ships tours started! Only kidding, we like the ships tours and have done a few ourselves. In fact, we’ve just spotted our last guide and had a nice chat with him whilst his group went ‘ooh’ and ‘aah’ at the views from the Crows Nest.

Embarkation day is usually the one and only time we use the buffet (for lunch), but on the last cruise and this one the Glass House is open for food from 12.30pm (drinks from midday). Hallelujah! What a much more civilised way to start a cruise!

I have already popped back to our cabin (we have the same one for both cruises) and was pleased to see that we have new complimentary bottles of water and, more importantly, another two vouchers for freebie Champagne due to our loyalty status. Might redeem thise with lunch, but then again the Glass House does sell Peller Ice Cuvée, which is our favourite fizz. Choices, choices.

Only downer is the Muster Drill. Having just double checked at reception, we DO have to attend the muster drill again. Even though the blurb on Horizon says ‘newly embarking passengers’, apparently the system changed when they started scanning cruise cards at the drill. If we don’t attend we will be hunted down.

Other than that, all very easy and the time passes quickly. On that note, the Glass House has just opened ......

Someone speak with forked tongue Kemosabie. We have done two back to backs since the new system on Britannia and Azura. We did not have to do two musters. I missed the one on Britannia and they sent me a letter. I went to the reception and the receptionist was apologising before I was able to speak. She said she was very sorry and there was no need for the second drill.

If you were on a 35 night followed by a 14 then there would be as there is a time limit. It is longer than 2 days.

Just go and say Dai says their wrong. ;)

Sorry to go off topic, but we are considering doing a back to back with a fly cruise. As well as the 10% will they give us anything off the price for the fact that we wont be using the flights for the 2nd cruise. Not sure if this makes sense. Thanks

Someone speak with forked tongue Kemosabie. We have done two back to backs since the new system on Britannia and Azura. We did not have to do two musters. I missed the one on Britannia and they sent me a letter. I went to the reception and the receptionist was apologising before I was able to speak. She said she was very sorry and there was no need for the second drill.

If you were on a 35 night followed by a 14 then there would be as there is a time limit. It is longer than 2 days.

Just go and say Dai says their wrong. ;)

Dai. You are a gent. I owe you one. I have just been back down to reception and spoken to an officer who was overseeing boarding operations. He has confirmed that we do NOT need to attend muster drill again having only done so 48 hours ago. Mrs Selbourne is particularly grateful to you, as she was most unimpressed at the prospect of doing another one so soon. Many thanks!

Dai. You are a gent. I owe you one. I have just been back down to reception and spoken to an officer who was overseeing boarding operations. He has confirmed that we do NOT need to attend muster drill again having only done so 48 hours ago. Mrs Selbourne is particularly grateful to you, as she was most unimpressed at the prospect of doing another one so soon. Many thanks!

So that is an Anderson’s and Fevertree please.

:). :)