help with Mauai itinerary, please

M5M

We arrive on HAL on Saturday, Dec 9, I'm trying to line out a rental car drive. We dock from 8 AM - 10 PM. Maybe I have gotten some of this out of order, hopefully someone can comment. Is this too much for the one day? We're not swimming or snorkeling, just stop and look:

Lahaina...Whaler's Village...

Kaanapali... Kapalua Honolua Bay,

Dragon's Teeth at Makahia Point,

Through the Honokohau Valley, arrive at Nakalele Point and Blowhole, Olivine Pools, Ohai Cliffs.

Where does the road get tricky? We want to stop at that point and turn around, heading back to Lahaina,

on to Īao Valley, Kahakuloa Village,

Valley of Makamaka'ole, Tide Pools,

turn around and back to Lahaina, turn in rental car.

Whew!! Thanks!!

Don't want to scare you but we flew into Maui on Nov. 11th, a Saturday...it took us almost two hours to go from the airport near where I am assuming you will dock, to get to Lahaina...there was no accident just local/tourist traffic on a Saturday afternoon from about 4-6 pm...when we flew home on Tuesday afternoon the same trip took 45 minutes....so be aware traffic can be very slow...during our cruise overnight stay on Maui our ship was 4 hours late leaving because of a terrible traffic accident on the same road....3 large excursion buses and over 200 private passenger in cars caught on the west side of the island...hope you have a great time...Maui is beautiful...

Don't want to scare you but we flew into Maui on Nov. 11th, a Saturday...it took us almost two hours to go from the airport near where I am assuming you will dock, to get to Lahaina...there was no accident just local/tourist traffic on a Saturday afternoon from about 4-6 pm...when we flew home on Tuesday afternoon the same trip took 45 minutes....so be aware traffic can be very slow...during our cruise overnight stay on Maui our ship was 4 hours late leaving because of a terrible traffic accident on the same road....3 large excursion buses and over 200 private passenger in cars caught on the west side of the island...hope you have a great time...Maui is beautiful...

Confusing info. The OP is not docking at Kahalui, they are tendering at Lahaina, so they don't have the drive you reference, except if they keep the Iao Valley part, which, if I recall correctly, has been closed for a while. You might want to double check that.

Overall, the plan is doable, although I would just stay on the west side. The more serious concern would be how late you can turn in the rental car. You have plenty of time, but a 5pm closing on the rental car might be the biggest restriction.

"Lahaina...Whaler's Village...

Kaanapali... Kapalua Honolua Bay,

Dragon's Teeth at Makahia Point,

Through the Honokohau Valley, arrive at Nakalele Point and Blowhole, Olivine Pools, Ohai Cliffs.

Where does the road get tricky? We want to stop at that point and turn around, heading back to Lahaina,

on to Īao Valley, Kahakuloa Village,

Valley of Makamaka'ole, Tide Pools,

turn around and back to Lahaina, turn in rental car.

Whew!! Thanks!! "

Strictly my personal opinion: Way too much!

I would do very little in Lahaina and would drive up Haleakala instead - MUCH more unique

'Iao Valley (if it's open) would be another thing worth doing but I don't think you have the time

From Lahaina:

1. FIRST Drive up Haleakala stopping at all the sign- posted short hikes - the views will amaze you, stop at Makaweo on the way down

2. Drive north of Lahaina

3. IF you have any time left spend a short time in Lahaina after you return the car

You simply cannot do both sides of Maui in one day if you actually want to make stops and enjoy anything.

Edited by Zeno
Just realized you are tendering at Lahaina - so changing recs

CC people are so great!! thanks for the input....I thought it was too much, but don't have a good grasp of the geography. So if I zoom in on Zeno's ideas.....can someone help with some more details....Is Haleakala north on Hwy 30?

From Lahaina:

1. FIRST Drive up Haleakala stopping at all the sign- posted short hikes - the views will amaze you, stop at Makaweo on the way down

2. Drive north of Lahaina

3. IF you have any time left spend a short time in Lahaina after you return the car

I live on Maui. Here’s my suggestions. 1). There’s really not much to see in Kahakaloa...great ocean views but you can see that in many places. 2). If you go to the blow hole, be very careful. Tourists get swept into the ocean by waves..unfortunately many die or are never recovered. The waves can be very rough on this part of the island. 3). Honolua bay is one of my favorite snorkeling spots, but the waves on the north shore get bigger in the winter. In Dec, your better off snorkeling on the south side or at thousand peaks on the west side. 4). Yes, Iao is now open. Iao tends to get more rain in the afternoon. 5). Haleakala is gorgeous (I live in Kula) but it’s a long trek from Lahaina especially once you factor in traffic.

If you decide on Haleakala, then Iao valley is sort of on the way. I’d suggest driving to Iao first. Have lunch on your way up to Haleakala (Hailemaile General Store or Kula Bistro are good options). Do some short hikes in Haleakala, see the crater and the awesome views. Stop in Makawao town to browse art galleries on your way down the mountain.

If you decide on snorkeling, I’d suggest thousand peaks first thing in the morning (waves are usually calmer there in the morning). From there, drive out to Kapalua and/or the blowhole if you wish. Honu or Mala are great options in Lahaina for lunch with a view.

Enjoy your trip!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Beh789149

If you do head up Haleakala you might consider a tour and lunch at O'o Farm. We did this back in May and loved it. Even had the chance to pick the greens for our salad. The tour was fun, the food tasty and on top of that you have that gorgeous view up on the mountain.

http://www.oofarm.com/

Your ship looks to be scheduled to be in port till 10pm and most of the car rentals places in Kapalua/Kannapali close at 5pm. But you can arrange to just drop the keys and call for a taxi. to get back tot he harbor/