Daily Attire and Queen Mary: Is it for me?

jordans mom

i just found the cunard rental information...

the longest trousers they rent in size 40 are 33 inches long....that's hysterical...it will look like hubbie is wearing capris....hahahahahaha....his trousers are 36 inch length....so rental is out...

and they don't rent shoes..

so forget it...cruise casual and eating in the buffet...

the problem with a tux/suit on a cruise is the luggage space they take up - the suit, the shirt, tie, socks, shoes...that's a lot of space/weight in the luggage....

how much is an on board rental?.

and do they carry really big sizes? 46 extra long jacket? (to go with size 40 trousers)... even the tie has to be extra long...

and do they rent shoes? shlepping hubbies size 14 shoes could take up half the darn suitcase...

.seems either renting or going buffet is the only way we'll be able to do it..

I was going to point you to Cunard's formal wear page, but I see that you've found it. I'm sorry that they don't have anything in your husband' size, but I wonder if you're worrying too much about packing a suit or a tux. A suit, shirt, and tie needn't take up much space or add a great deal of weight. And since no one will be gazing at your husband's feet, there's no need for dress shoes. A pair of ordinary shoes will suffice. Formal nights are one of the great pleasures of a Cunard voyage. Perhaps there's a way you can enjoy them.

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

Edited by Thaxted

i just found the cunard rental information...

the longest trousers they rent in size 40 are 33 inches long....that's hysterical...it will look like hubbie is wearing capris....hahahahahaha....his trousers are 36 inch length....so rental is out...

and they don't rent shoes..

so forget it...cruise casual and eating in the buffet...

When we’re fly/cruising my husband leaves the tux behind and uses a dark suit. He can use this for informal nights as well - without the tie and using a less formal shirt. On formal nights he’ll use a black tie and a white shirt. Works well. We managed just fine last year. Flew from London to Cleveland via Detroit, spent 2 weeks with family, flew to NewYork, 2days there and cruised to Southampton on the QM2. Flew tourist class on all flights and met all the weight restrictions. It’s not a problem.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

he doesn't wear a suit or closed shoes..

doesn't even own a suit or tie anymore...

we live in a tropical climate....sandals and short sleeve shirts rule the day...

though he is somewhat conservative in his dress......polo shirts and khakis most of the time....with birkenstocks (and even those are hard to find in size 49)....

life is easy when it's hot and sunny :D

no problem.....casual buffet eating..

Here is the rub. Very nice, very well-intentioned people ask the question about appropriate clothing. We attempt to answer it by providing useful information without hurting anyone's feelings. But, because we are so busy not hurting feelings and trying to be tactful, we don't really answer the question to anyone's satisfaction.

Gentlemen: Formal nights after six o'clock require a full dress suit with collared shirt and tie or a tuxedo ensemble in order to access most parts of the ship. End of story.

If you live in a climate where this is no longer common or you have retired and thrown your work attire in the garbage, you will need to eat in the buffet and limit yourself to your cabin on those evenings. End of story.

Informal nights a just a bit easier in that you should move things down a notch, suits with ties, sport coats with ties. In a tropical climate you may be able to wear that golf shirt with blazer, but it's pushing it. I hope this is clear. I hope your feelings weren't hurt. It wasn't anyone's intention.

You are going to have a fabulous time. Put on your dancing shoes. Make sure there is an extra notch in that new belt you just bought.

HI... for a long time I have wanted to sail on the QM.

My parents enjoyed many Cunard cruises over the years - and I remember their stories of the great ships and experiences (note: Mom loved to dress, Dad not so much - but he went along as long as Mom pulled it all together! :D:D)

However, I am not into "dressing up" every night, and while relaxing during sea days - prefer a nice tShirt or Coverup and Shorts over my bathing suit to sit, wander or find a place for day meals.....

so I have chosen many "casual cruises" over the years to many places on NCL.

Would I be comfortable on this type of cruise...I am thinking of the 14 day Transatlantic - dont really need any tours of Europe - been there plenty of times/ done that

But I do love Sea Days!

Thanks!

I just got off the Queen Mary 2 yesterday, what a wonderful ship. I also was concerned about daytime dressing and I can assure you for day time " casual is the way too go" even boarding the ship most people were dressed in a casual manner. Later on I am going to write a post with some tips you may find useful.

I just got off the Queen Mary 2 yesterday, what a wonderful ship. I also was concerned about daytime dressing and I can assure you for day time " casual is the way too go" even boarding the ship most people were dressed in a casual manner. Later on I am going to write a post with some tips you may find useful.

Excellent, that would be great. Glad you enjoyed QM2, she really is a beautiful ship.

I look forward to seeing your comments, im excited about my first cruise on QM2 next year.

Jacqueline

Tuxedo was an American Invention. Thus named for Tuxedo and Tuxedo Park, New York.

The origin of the term “tuxedo” may be a US invention, but the type of clothing, originally called a dinner jacket, appears to have been invented in England. The Prince of Wales, later King Edward VII, wanted something less formal than a tail-coat. The Savile Row tailors Henry Poole and Co. obliged. Personally I prefer the traditional term dinner jacket over tuxedo.

But now people have to pay HIGH Baggage Fees for the Suits, Tuxedos, smoking jackets etc.. to be brought . Well your able to ship your luggage seperately too .. but what a PITA!!

How much does it cost to check a suitcase on a plane in the US? When travelling Business or Club class within or to or from Canada I don’t pay to check luggage, and when flying in steerage I have only paid about $30 the last few times.

There is no reason at all why a man can’t pack everything in one modest-sized case, such as the 24-inch one I use. When I bought a new dinner jacket a few years ago I made sure it was light-weight. I bring only two formal shirts as well as casual clothes and other shirts that can be worn on informal nights with ties. (Yes, I know ties are not required but many of us like to wear a tie with a blazer/sport coat.) The laundrettes on Cunard are free and the laundry service is reasonably priced. My wife has also purchased light-weight formal wear and packs everything in one case. In addition to those two checked bags a modest carry-on for essentials is all we need. I wear my blazer and hang it up on the plane. We have travelled light for one or two weeks aboard ship and even when we have spent an additional week or two in the UK.

If people don’t wish to wear formal dress that is their business, of course. But some of the reasons that surface with regularity are laughable.

Edited by david,Mississauga
clarification

Flying transatlantic on American (I just randomly choose an airline) the first bag is free but the second bag is $100. Deciding to pack a tuxedo might make the difference between needing one suitcase and needing two.

Flying domestically I choose Southwest whenever possible so we each get two free checked bags.

Flying transatlantic on American (I just randomly choose an airline) the first bag is free but the second bag is $100. Deciding to pack a tuxedo might make the difference between needing one suitcase and needing two. .

And that $100 as a percentage of your total vacation/holiday cost is?

Stuart

And that $100 as a percentage of your total vacation/holiday cost is?

Stuart

Yes but its when you add up the $100 here and the 15% there and just that transfer cost etc they can actually quickly end up costing a 1/4 or so of your holiday cost. Usually though those of us who are aware of such things actually live every day like that (& such careful budgeting is rewarded with being able to take a trip on a Queen or whatever "luxury" we choose). I realise that these days I do have a bit more leeway in being able to say "ok we'll just get a taxi" or "if we have to pay for an extra bag so be it" but old habits die hard & it was taking care of the pennies that got me to this point so I'd never knock anyone trying to do the same :)

Yes but its when you add up the $100 here and the 15% there and just that transfer cost etc they can actually quickly end up costing a 1/4 or so of your holiday cost. Usually though those of us who are aware of such things actually live every day like that (& such careful budgeting is rewarded with being able to take a trip on a Queen or whatever "luxury" we choose). I realise that these days I do have a bit more leeway in being able to say "ok we'll just get a taxi" or "if we have to pay for an extra bag so be it" but old habits die hard & it was taking care of the pennies that got me to this point so I'd never knock anyone trying to do the same :)

Forgive me if I am wrong, but you sound just like me, a senior citizen, I also looked after the pennies, we had in days gone by, and now we can go on cruises.;p

Flying transatlantic on American (I just randomly choose an airline) the first bag is free but the second bag is $100. Deciding to pack a tuxedo might make the difference between needing one suitcase and needing two.

Flying domestically I choose Southwest whenever possible so we each get two free checked bags.

Although we have never checked a second bag per person (even when it is free) I checked the transatlantic allowance from Canada on Air Canada and Air Transat. In economy, the first bag (50 lb.) is free and the second costs $100. In Business Class/Club Class two bags up to 70 lb. each are free.

For flights within Canada or to the U.S., Air Canada and Westjet charge under $30 for the first bag - a bit more for the second one - on the cheaper economy fares with no charge for full fare economy or Business Class.

If a person cannot pack everything in one 50 lb. bag they are not trying hard enough. On our recent trip our two checked bags weighed 43 and 40 pounds respectively. We spent two weeks on the QM2 and a week in England. We paid the modest fee to check our bags on an economy flight from Toronto to Québec City. There was no baggage charge for the flight home from London Gatwick.

Dressing up at night is okay, but if it was 'smart casual' during the day as well, I couldn't do it. This is why I've never taken the Orient Express, the dress code etc is all a bit too restrictive, though I suppose I could put up with it for a one or two night train trip :)

I just got off the Queen Mary 2 on Friday after being on board for 12 days. I myself like many was concerned about daytime dress. I was so surprised at just how casual the dress of most passengers was, even at check in it was clear not many made an effort to get " dressed up for boarding " I can tell you next time I go I will be arriving in jeans. Believe me you will be surprised just how casual the dressing is during the day. Perhaps on Transatlantic it is different but this was to the Caribbean. You will love this ship...I am going to write a thread when I get time posting my thoughts and give some tips to first timers.

Yes, I think sometimes people on this board get paranoid about people wearing ‘normal’ clothes. I’m going on a world cruise shortly and will be very casual during the day and very formal at night ...... end of! [emoji3]

Well said, a hint for the evenings....Long evening skirts with mix and match tops are perfect. And if you take anything that needs to be dry cleaned wait and bring it on board to get cleaned I paid $34.00 dollars to get one of my dresses cleaned before the trip and the ship would have charged me $15.00.