Bringing food onto the POA

QJKM

I have looked on the forums, and I know that POA is a special circumstance as far as taking a sandwich, etc. off of the ship, but are they similarly OK with bringing food on? I have had answers both ways from NCL.

Morning of departure, we will be at Kualoa Ranch, then back to the hotel to confirm our bags were transferred to the ship (hotel night before and transfers promotion came with cruise).

I think we'd have enough time to swing by Leonard's for malasadas before boarding, as we'll be back to hotel by 2. Otherwise, we wouldn't have a chance to try them. I know we could eat them as we rush to the pier, but for a treat we've anticipated, that seems a shame. First choice would be in the cabin, where we can relax and enjoy. But- if NCL makes us ditch the box or eat them on the spot... that's last choice, and the taxi starts looking better.

What's everyone's experience?

Don't know about any special rules for POA - the rules against taking any food or plants/flowers OFF the ship (or even an airplane) come from the state of Hawaii, not the cruise lines. We've taken malasadas (from Tex's Drive-In!) onto a Princess ship in Hilo with no problem. One thing to keep in mind though, malasadas taste the best while still warm - the one's we ate back on the ship just didn't taste the same as the ones we ate right away.

I think we'd have enough time to swing by Leonard's for malasadas before boarding, as we'll be back to hotel by 2. Otherwise, we wouldn't have a chance to try them. I know we could eat them as we rush to the pier, but for a treat we've anticipated, that seems a shame. First choice would be in the cabin, where we can relax and enjoy.

Have to mention that malasadas are really only good fresh and hot. Hours later at room temperature, not so much. If you happen to have a car on Maui, drop by Home Maid Bakery on Lower Main Street in Wailuku. They do fresh malasadas every day as far as we know (please check though to confirm their current schedule). Their place is nothing to look at (and easy to miss), but we have always liked their malasadas.

P.S. Just noticed the previous poster got to the subject while we were still typing, but we all agree malasadas are best hot and fresh.

Thank you both for your responses!

Yes, when I mentioned POA special circumstances, it's that they are in HI and stay in HI. Just wanted to differentiate from other cruise lines that are not US flagged in HI, and so would still have to follow customs not letting food on or off, so I'm seeking responses primarily from those who have NCL experience on that ship.

I appreciate you both pointing out that they are best hot. We may be able to have one there, that's the plan, anyway, but thought we'd bring back a few other flavors. It's that or not at all, as we will be pinched for time.

The issue is not whether the ship is flagged in the US or not. It is where the food is sourced from. Do a quick search. This was discussed here previously. I believe because POA gets it's food in the islands (although the food is transported from the mainland), it doesn't have any restrictions on taking food ashore.

Thank you both for your responses! I appreciate you both pointing out that they are best hot. We may be able to have one there, that's the plan, anyway, but thought we'd bring back a few other flavors. It's that or not at all, as we will be pinched for time.

No matter where you get them or intend to eat them, if by "flavors" you mean cream filled, they tend to get soggy if not consumed fairly quickly, and the cream filling should not be left unrefrigerated for any length of time.

No matter where you get them or intend to eat them, if by "flavors" you mean cream filled, they tend to get soggy if not consumed fairly quickly, and the cream filling should not be left unrefrigerated for any length of time.

Got it, and thank you again for your advice and concern. We would be eating the filled ones there, but there are several kinds of unfilled as well. We completely get that hot is best. I still would like to figure out if we will have an issue bringing the ones we still want to purchase and try (even though they will not be hot) on board the POA, 45-60 minutes after purchase.

The issue is not whether the ship is flagged in the US or not. It is where the food is sourced from. Do a quick search. This was discussed here previously. I believe because POA gets it's food in the islands (although the food is transported from the mainland), it doesn't have any restrictions on taking food ashore.

As I said in my initial post, I did look on the forums. I searched "bringing food aboard POA" "POA food embark" and other similar terms. I too have seen things on here, but I'm at a loss how to find them again, as the results I am getting are not specific, and often are not only not NCL, but not POA, either. I have also gone back page by page in the POA specific threads, and I only saw a brief one about taking food off. I assume I must have run across it in threads on other topics, or deep in a review. I decided to post the thread so there would be a targeted thread with the info that could come up in search to assist others.

As to taking food ashore, I'm clear on that- I will reiterate for anyone searching this later. There are no issues bringing food off this ship, unlike for most other cruise ports. There are items to build sandwiches at the buffet, and cruisers can avail themselves of those.

Not sure about taking food ON, though. As I also said in my initial post, I've asked NCL twice about this, so I have done my due diligence there as well, and gotten contradictory answers. That is why I'm seeking personal experience information from those who have been in a similar position.

Thank you both for your responses!

Yes, when I mentioned POA special circumstances, it's that they are in HI and stay in HI. Just wanted to differentiate from other cruise lines that are not US flagged in HI, and so would still have to follow customs not letting food on or off, so I'm seeking responses primarily from those who have NCL experience on that ship.

I appreciate you both pointing out that they are best hot. We may be able to have one there, that's the plan, anyway, but thought we'd bring back a few other flavors. It's that or not at all, as we will be pinched for time.

While not rigidly enforced, the USPH controls foreign flag cruise ships in US ports, and they have regulations against bringing things onboard that are not factory sealed. However, since the POA is US flag, and cruises only in the US, it does not fall under USPH oversight, but under FDA instead. The FDA sanitation program for cruise vessels is similar to the USPH, but varies in some respects. As far as I know, based on my 4 years working the NCL ships in Hawaii, there are no restrictions on bringing baked (in this case, fried) products onboard, provided they are in a box with the store's name on it (to show it came from in state) (in other words, you still can't bring things baked at home).

While not rigidly enforced, the USPH controls foreign flag cruise ships in US ports, and they have regulations against bringing things onboard that are not factory sealed. However, since the POA is US flag, and cruises only in the US, it does not fall under USPH oversight, but under FDA instead. The FDA sanitation program for cruise vessels is similar to the USPH, but varies in some respects. As far as I know, based on my 4 years working the NCL ships in Hawaii, there are no restrictions on bringing baked (in this case, fried) products onboard, provided they are in a box with the store's name on it (to show it came from in state) (in other words, you still can't bring things baked at home).

OK, thanks! And also thanks for the further clarification about things prepared in HI vs things prepared elsewhere- before I heard abut the malasadas, I had thought to bring some schmancy donuts (Blue Star, Portland, OR- they hold easily for a day) for my traveling companion, so those would be denied. Good to know!

OK, thanks! And also thanks for the further clarification about things prepared in HI vs things prepared elsewhere- before I heard abut the malasadas, I had thought to bring some schmancy donuts (Blue Star, Portland, OR- they hold easily for a day) for my traveling companion, so those would be denied. Good to know!

Again, that concept of "locally sourced"...