Safe to wear jewelry?

I haven't heard too much about muggings in Europe. NYC--yes. Europe no...at least where the cruise tourists are headed. :)

And--I was just trying to be a little tongue in cheek. Obviously, if a woman wears a diamond tiara on the street in broad daylight--she's going to draw attention to herself!!;)

Maybe were you live darling, but not in Cheshire, there 10 a penny, toodle pip

When we were about to go ashore in Naples, the CD announced on the PA system that he highly recommended that we leave all valuables, including rings and watches, on the ship. I took it seriously and left them behind.

This was the only port where this announcement was made.

Besides the obvious - theft, there's another reason not to wear all of your expensive jewelry on shore. If you're planning on haggling with vendors and they see you're all sparkly and bejeweled, they're much less likely to give you any leeway on their goods. That applies not only to Europe, but also in the Caribbean when you're trying to "get a deal" at the diamond shops - just my 2 cents worth!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

When we were about to go ashore in Naples, the CD announced on the PA system that he highly recommended that we leave all valuables, including rings and watches, on the ship. I took it seriously and left them behind.

This was the only port where this announcement was made.

As part of the world cruise we were on, there was a warning in the cruise daily program about problems in Naples. We know of at least three people who ignored the warnings and each of them was mugged.

We were also in some other areas during this cruise where similar advice was given.

Keith

I think it is odd everyone so worried and concerned for pick pockets and muggings. We have traveled all over the USA, Canada and many places in Europe. Do you really think none of Europe wears their wedding rings, or a pair of earings or necklace? They probably don't go out in the middle of the day with 5 carat jewels on, but really neither do we normally. You need to be cautious of your surroundings and not stupid, but you have to do that in LA, New York or the Amish areas of Indiana! No different than Italy, Spain or the UK. These posts crack me up and sometimes make me laugh - maybe some should stay home where its safe.

missty

I think it is odd everyone so worried and concerned for pick pockets and muggings. We have traveled all over the USA, Canada and many places in Europe. Do you really think none of Europe wears their wedding rings, or a pair of earings or necklace? They probably don't go out in the middle of the day with 5 carat jewels on, but really neither do we normally. You need to be cautious of your surroundings and not stupid, but you have to do that in LA, New York or the Amish areas of Indiana! No different than Italy, Spain or the UK. These posts crack me up and sometimes make me laugh - maybe some should stay home where its safe.

missty

The facts are that there are lots of thieves in big cities and when you are in areas that you are not familiar with you should use caution. And there are other factors to consider such as the age of the tourist. But I will tell you that I have traveled the world and in certain cities there is no way I would wear valuable jewelry. There is no reason to do this. And, I am not talking about a wedding band. I have seen passengers wear Rolex Watches in Naples when they have been warned not to do this and I am aware of three people on our last cruise who were mugged. And, I would not do this either in places like Rio, Barclelona, Part of New York City, Buenos Aires, Columbia, various places in Africa,etc. etc., etc.. People do a lot of things. Some right some wrong. There is no point in taking a risk. And, by the way I am familiar with big cities having grown up near one of the largest ones in the world; NYC.

For those who don't care, they should wear and do what they please. In the end they are all adults and can make their decision.

But, if someone asked me what I think, I would tell them to keep the jewely on the ship.

You know you can drive a car 90 MPH and maybe be OK. But the odds increase that you will have an accident the faster you go.

Keith

I recommend common sense caution when in port. During college, I spent 5 months studying in Spain and traveled to France and Italy. I don't claim to be an expert, but I can share what I learned. Although, most of us live in the US where crime can be high in many cities and we as individuals rarely experience this crime, doesn't mean you won't experience it on vacation - in Europe or anywhere else. The reason being, you are a tourist. You can do everything you want to try to blend in and stay alert, but simply being in the tourist district/attractions makes you a target. How often do you hang out at the tourist areas where you live?????? That's why we don't typically worry about being robbed where we live. Also, you may have a big intimidating husband or boyfriend, but I don't think this will even matter. Most of the thieves we are talking about here are "professional thieves". They aren't the thieves we picture such as drug addicts or gutter trash who are going to pull a gun or try to cause a stand-off. These individuals want to get in and out without ever being noticed and many times are well dressed so you would never suspect they would rob you. Many tourists are robbed in one of two ways:

1. A thief pickpockets you, takes things out of a womans purse, or slips a watch/bracelet off someone's wrist (And yes, this can be done quite successfully without the individual noticing) Again, these guys/gals are professional thieves - this is their job. Don't assume the very well dressed gentleman in line behind you to enter the Vatican won't take from you whatever he can get his hands on. Or the nice local man/woman that stops to ask you a question, isn't really just trying to distract while the partner in crime is cleaning you out of whatever they can get. Typically when you are robbed like this you don't even notice it has happened until much later in the day.

2. You are what I call bum rushed. A group will surround you in an already busy crowded area. If you are quick you will immediately know what's going on and try to cover up your pockets/purse, but most don't realize it until its too late. Whats happening is that the group is cleaning out your pockets and purses/bags. Then as soon as they appeared, they all disappear in different directions.

Again, use common sense. Don't carry a purse, Don't keep money in your pocket - get a money carrier that goes around your neck and tucks under your shirt. Don't get drawn into someone on the street trying to show you something within arms reach - they are only trying to draw you in close enough to get something off of you. I only where a watch that I would not be upset if it was stolen and if I was a woman I would only where cheap jewelry in port. Save the nice stuff for the ship if you must take it. Chances are you will not have any problems while on vacation, but I guarantee there will be people in each port on your cruise who will be robbed. Do what you can to ensure if you are one of the unfortunate ones to be robbed, that you minimize what they get.

ShawninFL is right on! What if you take a wrong turn and find yourself in a neighborhood that is not so safe? A vacation should be carefree and fun. Our clothing is enough to set us apart as North Americans. We have been on two Rick Steves tours and I have traveled alone in Europe. No need to ever do anything to draw additional attention to oneself. My rings visit the bank while I visit abroad. I have a costume band to wear while touring a port. Why should we have to learn about the procedures for filing on insurance for a preventable loss?

Be safe and have fun!

• 10 years later...

Hello,

Safe Storage - Try to store your jewelry in a safe place at your home. Always carry your keys of the drawer safe with you. Keep away the children from expensive jewelry specially diamonds rings or gold jewelry.

Bank Locker - One of the safe place to store your jewelry is the bank locker. All bank provides the facilities of locker with certain limits of accessories. You can discuss with bank executive regarding jewelry storage and keep away from thieves’ tension.

Jewelry Insurance - To keep protect the jewelry safe the another way to jewelry insurance. So you need to contact insurance company, the executive of insurance company will explain you the policy about the jewelry. And in case your jewelry will lost in future, then company will give you the money on behalf of jewelry.

We know a couple who would wear their rolex off the ship. They said their jewelry is insured but what happens if someone tried to steal it from them and something went very wrong and they stabbed them.

In many ports we don't wear anything of value off the ship other then sports watches and maybe some inexpensive earrings for my wife and in some ports she will not wear the earrings.

Yes it varies by city.

Keith

Hello,

Safe Storage - Try to store your jewelry in a safe place at your home. Always carry your keys of the drawer safe with you. Keep away the children from expensive jewelry specially diamonds rings or gold jewelry.

Bank Locker - One of the safe place to store your jewelry is the bank locker. All bank provides the facilities of locker with certain limits of accessories. You can discuss with bank executive regarding jewelry storage and keep away from thieves’ tension.

Jewelry Insurance - To keep protect the jewelry safe the another way to jewelry insurance. So you need to contact insurance company, the executive of insurance company will explain you the policy about the jewelry. And in case your jewelry will lost in future, then company will give you the money on behalf of jewelry.

Hi and welcome to Cruise Critic. I see you are a new poster here.

One suggestion -- when you are searching, take a look at the date of the posts to ensure you are looking at up-to-date threads. This one that you've pulled up and replied to is more than 10 years old. :D

Not that the information isn't timely, but generally it's not worth resurrecting threads from such a long time ago as it confuses others who think it is a new topic.

We wear our normal rings. I take an inexpensive watch. DW wears her usual watch...nothing special just a run of the mill seiko.

We do not travel with expensive jewelry. It stays at home and we put it in our bank safe deposit box when we travel.

We do not feel any less safe in Europe than we do in the US. In fact, the opposite is true. There is probably more chance of pickpocketing in Europe but considerably less chance of physical violence. Just our view, others may not agree.

We have never really understood all the questions we see about people asking about safety here and there. It is as thought the feeling is that North America is the safest place to be or to travel. We do not think that this is the case in many instances.

I have always heard that it is not safe to wear gold jewelry, but some people must wear wedding rings, bracelets, earrings etc.every day and special pieces for special events! .So try to wear gold jewelry in special ocassion only and keep it safe whenever goes to the washroom.

I wear "nicer" jewelry while on a cruise ship, but wear less expensive jewelry when out and about on tours. I generally don't wear anything I would hate to lose when I'm on tours and such.

Sent from my iPad using Forums