Southern style Chicken Fried Steak with white Country Gravy on Cunard?

Kingofcool1947

Hello,

DW and I are considering a 25 day World Cruise on Q.E.

Is Southern Style Chicken Fried Steak with White Country Gravy available on Cunard?

How about Crispy Southern Fried Chicken with waffles? In the dining room(s) or buffet?

Thank you.

Hello,

Is Southern Style Chicken Fried Steak with White Country Gravy available on Cunard?

How about Crispy Southern Fried Chicken with waffles? In the dining room(s) or buffet?

Thank you.

You can find the menu on here for most cruise lines

Hello,

Thank you.

I have not noticed these items on the menu in the dining room, but I may have missed them. They do have fried chicken in the buffet, but I would not go as far as saying that it is crispy. There is a wide variety of dishes available in the buffet, so who knows, you may be in luck.

Well, there certainly is no dearth of snarky remarks here today, and only one of them is correct, Safarigal's! If you are dining in Queens Grill southern fried chicken ala Cunard will gladly be served. I still remember the crab Sardou that I had prepared for me in Queens Grill. It was loaded with crab and quite sinful. Also chicken and waffles might be comfort food to some, but it is hardly "diner food".

Well, there certainly is no dearth of snarky remarks here today, and only one of them is correct, Safarigal's! If you are dining in Queens Grill southern fried chicken ala Cunard will gladly be served. I still remember the crab Sardou that I had prepared for me in Queens Grill. It was loaded with crab and quite sinful. Also chicken and waffles might be comfort food to some, but it is hardly "diner food".

Thank you for information about Fried Chicken ala Cunard. Crab sardou sounds good as well.

FWIW, Yes, I was taken back with the snarky comment regarding Cunard not serving “diner food”. Sounded to me as a pretentious and smug comment. :eek: I hope not a reflection most Cunard PAX have that kind attitude. It will be our first cruise on Cunard.

Well, at least Fried Chicken might be available.

Cunard has waffles (regular or Belgian) available at breakfast, correct?

DW and I don’t necessarily want to dine on “high brow” cuisine at every mealtime for 25 days. :)

K

Edited by Kingofcool1947

I am not from the South, just a plain old Yankee. But I do love southern cuisine, especially good fried chicken. While you can probably find chicken in the buffet, don't expect it to be southern style. Yes, waffles for breakfast, but no chicken to go with them. And I agree with the others, chicken and waffles are very popular in the US, with some restaurant chefs making them a signature dish.

Guest SilverHengroen

I think part of the confusion here might stem from the fact than in Britain at least ‘fried chicken’ in general is very much associated with greasy KFC style takeaways - that is to say very informal fast food at the opposite end of the scale to the sort of cuisine associated with Cunard generally. Having said that for the most part (outside the restaurants) things like burgers and pizza that would fall into the same category are of course available from the buffet and room service.

Kingofkool1947, As a Southerner, a professionally trained chef and a lover of most things Cunard, allow me to answer this question.

No. It's unlikely to see any of these with the exception of the waffle at breakfast. I have never seen them serve either fried chicken, sausage gravy, milk gravy, chicken fried steak or chicken and waffles. While I am sure you could order this in advance if you were in QG, I have some doubts about what you would receive.

If asked, the chef would die trying, but he's really a continental style chef in the classic sense. Escoffier is his thing. Getting salsa at breakfast for eggs is often a bridge too far. The Indian food is pretty good, though. Most of the hard working staff in the kitchens are from the Philippines and Indian sub-continent. They have never seen these dishes. While any of these dishes is very simple to produce, it's totally unfamiliar to them.

There will be plenty of food served that you will recognize and appreciate. You will return home weighing more than you did when you started. Trust me.

True story, I met a gentlemen who owned a restaurant bar establishment along the Thames river. He had spent a few years working in Dallas, Texas. Upon returning to England, he told all of the local folks in his small English town about chicken fried steak. The locals didn't believe him. How could chicken fried steak not have any chicken? When he realized we were Southerners, he made us stand on a table in the restaurant and confirm his assertion that there was no chicken in chicken fried steak. It was in Bournemouth and I've got a t-shirt from the restaurant. My point is, it's a puzzling question for our friends on the other side of the Atlantic. This is one of those cases where we are indeed separated by a common language.

I hope this helps. You are going to have a great time. Wait until you see some of the food served on the breakfast buffet in the King's Court. It's different. If you order bacon, it won't be what you are expecting. Order streaky bacon instead.

Kingofkool1947, As a Southerner, a professionally trained chef and a lover of most things Cunard, allow me to answer this question.

No. It's unlikely to see any of these with the exception of the waffle at breakfast. I have never seen them serve either fried chicken, sausage gravy, milk gravy, chicken fried steak or chicken and waffles. While I am sure you could order this in advance if you were in QG, I have some doubts about what you would receive.

If asked, the chef would die trying, but he's really a continental style chef in the classic sense. Escoffier is his thing. Getting salsa at breakfast for eggs is often a bridge too far. The Indian food is pretty good, though. Most of the hard working staff in the kitchens are from the Philippines and Indian sub-continent. They have never seen these dishes. While any of these dishes is very simple to produce, it's totally unfamiliar to them.

I've had jambalaya in the Queens Grill on the QE2 that was like and just as good as what I've had in New Orleans! It wasn't just rice with some sort of sauce over it; it was like jambalaya should be, cooked in a frying pan and all the good stuff like shrimp and sausage thrown in.

I've had jambalaya in the Queens Grill on the QE2 that was like and just as good as what I've had in New Orleans! It wasn't just rice with some sort of sauce over it; it was like jambalaya should be, cooked in a frying pan and all the good stuff like shrimp and sausage thrown in.

Thank you.

Is there an up charge for dining at the Queen’s Grill?

There will be plenty of food served that you will recognize and appreciate. You will return home weighing more than you did when you started. Trust me.

True story, I met a gentlemen who owned a restaurant bar establishment along the Thames river. He had spent a few years working in Dallas, Texas. Upon returning to England, he told all of the local folks in his small English town about chicken fried steak. The locals didn't believe him. How could chicken fried steak not have any chicken? When he realized we were Southerners, he made us stand on a table in the restaurant and confirm his assertion that there was no chicken in chicken fried steak. It was in Bournemouth and I've got a t-shirt from the restaurant. My point is, it's a puzzling question for our friends on the other side of the Atlantic. This is one of those cases where we are indeed separated by a common language.

I hope this helps. You are going to have a great time. Wait until you see some of the food served on the breakfast buffet in the King's Court. It's different. If you order bacon, it won't be what you are expecting. Order streaky bacon instead.

Thanks! Sounds like the cuisine is going to be fine for us. Love curry dishes. :)

Thank you.

Is there an up charge for dining at the Queen’s Grill?

The Queens Grill restaurant is reserved for those who have booked Queens Grill staterooms. Likewise the Princess Grill restaurant is reserved for those who have booked Princess Grill staterooms and the Britannia Club restaurant is reserved for those who have booked Britannia Club staterooms.

On the Queen Elizabeth, the specialty restaurants which are open to all passengers (for an up-charge) are the Verandah Restaurant and the evening themed venue within the Lido.

Regards, John

......., he told all of the local folks in his small English town about chicken fried steak. The locals didn't believe him. How could chicken fried steak not have any chicken?.....

Wow. Chicken fried steak...

I have to read up on that. No chicken in chicken fried steak. Hmmm. Well, there is rarely any dog in a dog biscuit, I suppose

......., he told all of the local folks in his small English town about chicken fried steak. The locals didn't believe him. How could chicken fried steak not have any chicken?.....
Wow. Chicken fried steak...

I have to read up on that. No chicken in chicken fried steak. Hmmm. Well, there is rarely any dog in a dog biscuit, I suppose

Here is a link to one of several chicken fried steak recipes found on the Food Network web site complete with a video demonstration that mentions why the dish is called chicken fried steak.

Chicken Fried Steak with Gravy

And yes, the meat ingredient in chicken fried steak is beef, not chicken.

Regards, John

I must confess that chicken-fried steak is not one of my favorites. It's a tough, cheap cut of meat pounded into submission covered in milk gravy to hide the fact that it has little to any taste except salt and pepper. I have only so much grease and fat tolerance in my cardiovascular system. I choose to waste it on good, hot fried chicken like my grandmamma used to make.