I truly hate it when:

People never come back and say thank you for their input. OR never come back at all. I know I have only been here for a few months, but this is something that I have noticed and it really bothers me. People spend time to help others to the best of their ability and the OP never even replies or says thank you. Sorry, just a pet peeve of mine.

People are people... some are polite, friendly.... others are self-centred pillocks.

I've developed a thick skin - if people say thanks for my thoughts/input/help then that makes me smile... if they don't then I really don't give a damn, because I know that other readers will have appreciated what I've written.

Life is too short to be annoyed by pillocks....!

VP

People never come back and say thank you for their input. OR never come back at all. I know I have only been here for a few months, but this is something that I have noticed and it really bothers me. People spend time to help others to the best of their ability and the OP never even replies or says thank you. Sorry, just a pet peeve of mine.

Not so much a thank you--gratitude is overrated in my book--but it sure would be nice if those OP's commented on the usefulness of the responses should they actually have heeded the advice they solicited.

But you gotta concede that some newbies get put off by so many third party passersby padding their post count will all the context-less "thanks for posting" responses. I wouldn't come back to the thread either if a simple question yielded two pages-plus of non-sequiturs as it so often does on the boards.

Edited by fishywood

Thank you for your input! :D Actually I agree. A lot of posters never come back to at least acknowledge the comments others took time to provide.

Thank you for your input! :D Actually I agree. A lot of posters never come back to at least acknowledge the comments others took time to provide.

So many people give such sage advice, which I always appreciate. A little "thank you" goes a long way. I have received such great advice and would never know the answer to my questions had I not asked here.

Edited by Living4acruise2day
edit

I have had some very good advice and suggestions on Tripadvisor, particularly for land holidays. I always report back after we have been.

A little thank you doesn't go amiss, but what really annoys me is when the OP gets loads of good information and recommendations and never come back.

There are some very helpful contributors on some of the boards and their information can really contribute and enhance your trips.

I often notice that first time posters don't come back to say anything. I wonder if they can't find their post? I remember when I first joined and got very confused with all the different forums and did not always know how to find where I had posted.

Nah, it's a bulletin board.

I find it a tiny bit annoying, in fact, when I have to scroll and scroll to find any more actual information! Thanks that are more than an empty post are welcome. Padding one's count in the hopes of getting a new rank, not so much.

It must be winter, cabin fever makes folks cranky and they eventually lash out at some unsespecting victims with a few strokes of the key. This seems a pretty desperate subject to whine about.

My suggestion is find a book or puzzle and give the computer a rest.

Burt

I've noticed some newbie posts asking a question (sometimes a sensitive subject) where he'll get several different opinions which sometimes morphs into a debate that each other is wrong. Then eventually someone will post "where's the OP? I suspect a troll!" That's not the definition of a troll... the proper definition of a troll is:

In Internet slang, a troll is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal, on-topic discussion, often for the troll's amusement.

Or... the newbies question might provoke responses accusing the OP they might have some sort of an agenda particularly if its a sensitive subject like tipping where he's sometimes (again) accused of being a troll. Might be a "where can I smoke" question that then morphs into a smokers vs non-smokers thread.

So the newbie will say to himself... "to heck with this! I'm outta here!" IMHO

One thread that comes to mind was on the RCI board where a lady was asking about leaving her young kid at Adventure Ocean on a port day than dragging him around the Caribbean island.. didn't take long for the thread to turn into a You're a terrible parent thread so it quickly was deleted.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by hel0013

I've noticed some newbie posts asking a question (sometimes a sensitive subject) where he'll get several different opinions which sometimes morphs into a debate that each other is wrong. Then eventually someone will post "where's the OP? I suspect a troll!" That's not the definition of a troll... the proper definition of a troll is:

In Internet slang, a troll is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal, on-topic discussion, often for the troll's amusement.

Or... the newbies question might provoke responses accusing the OP they might have some sort of an agenda particularly if its a sensitive subject like tipping where he's sometimes (again) accused of being a troll. Might be a "where can I smoke" question that then morphs into a smokers vs non-smokers thread.

So the newbie will say to himself... "to heck with this! I'm outta here!"

IMHO

No question the "T-word" is misused and overused. But there will always be a segment of regular posters who are 100% convinced and intractable in the thought that a brand new screen name starting a thread on a controversial topic is ALWAYS a long-time existing member that opened a second (or third, fourth, fifth etc) account just to have fun stirring the pot.

The way I read it, when post #1 from a brand new member is on one of the more divisive topics--usually sharing drink packages/carrying on non-permitted liquor, or stridently pro- or con- regarding the MDR dress code--the tone is always one extreme or the other: either full of non-stop use of the key buzzwords that will rile up people on both sides of the issue, or incredibly incredibly naive to the fact that what they are asking is anything other than the simplest of questions. Usually the T-bomb-droppers are sure that the former is a wind-up--and equally sure the latter is a total fake made up by the same "T people" usually posting the former.

While it would be nice if OP's came back all the time and said thank you, as many do, but let's be realistic about what this place is and how it works.

After the OP posts a question, after the obligatory first response of; "Use the search function!" or "Ask this in the proper forum." the OP will get the correct answer by about response number 3. Following that, the same correct answer will be posted again 2, 3, 5, 10 ten more times over the next hour or two interspersed with, "I don't care if you have never cruised before, you should have researched this question before asking here!:mad:", "you’re a bad parent", "I always tip extra", and of couse "TROLL".

Since most new or casual readers of this site are not on here 24/7 like some of the CC veterans, when the OP signs back on, after work, or after putting the kids to bed, etc. they not only get the answer to their question, over and over again, they also get all the other crap. Heck, I don't blame for clicking off ASAP and not wading through all the junk to find the nice posts that actually answered their question. And if they do wade through the thread, should they say; "Thanks" once or twice, or 3, 5, or 10 times?

Edited by DirtyDawg

I am very new to CC. I keep looking for the like button! I would love to let someone know I read and liked their post but don't necessarily want to post "thanks" 20 times a day.

Regardless who they are OR what their agenda is, they all ought to appreciate the CC forum. I have mentioned in many posts concerning my fifth cruise, an inland Carnival cruise out of Seattle in June 2011. My wife and I had never been on such a cruise and knew next to nothing about how or what to pack. It was 102 (temp+humidity) when we left ATL soo we were at a loss and I didn't know where to go for any packing info. I found this website by accident in 2013 and countless times I've thought, 'How I wish I had know about this website and had this or that knowledge..' We still had a wonderful trip, but it would have made it so much easier if I had know some things I since have found here. I,out of curiosity, will check to see if any info I've posted about was helpful. If not acknowledged then maybe the OP found it somewhere else or if it was a 1st timer, that thought someone was just trying to impress them, I hope not. I've always had a saying about life,' There are NO stupid questions, that's how we learn, and failing to ask, is how mistakes are made'. Hope I didn't get off subject or too long winded .

Mac

I have gotten use to people not coming back and thanking other people for information given here.

That is just the way some people are.

I've never expected a thank you from forum members in the many years I've been on this forum. I pop in for a moment then because of my personal life, may not be back for several days or even weeks. I see this forum as a passing of ideas and information, not a campfire of friends chatting over coffee. My mistake.

I guess I don't need that kind of gratification. I have more of a "it's better to give than to receive" kind of approach to life and I'm glad. After reading this thread, l can't imagine letting someone I never met make me feel angry because they didn't acknowledge one of my post.

Sadly, I am frustrated that folks here are condescending to other forum members they never met, for not doing what was never asked of them. I get it though; Sally, my beautiful beautiful bride of 37 years, seems to think I should read her mind as well.

But because I'm a "better to give" kind of person and folks here have made it clear they view this forum as a collection of friends having a friendly chat, I will make more effort to thank you.:D

Burt

But because I'm a "better to give" kind of person and folks here have made it clear they view this forum as a collection of friends having a friendly chat, I will make more effort to thank you.:D

Burt

Sorry to edit your reply Burt but some people around here are also fired up about the exorbitant space taken up but quoting full quotes, so I'm doing my best to use fewer bytes from now on.

Thx for posting!;)

People never come back and say thank you for their input. OR never come back at all.

I know I have only been here for a few months, but this is something that I have noticed and it really bothers me.

People spend time to help others to the best of their ability and the OP never even replies or says thank you.

Sorry, just a pet peeve of mine.

It must be winter, cabin fever makes folks cranky and they eventually lash out at some unsuspecting victims with a few strokes of the key.

This seems a pretty desperate subject to whine about.

My suggestion is find a book or puzzle and give the computer a rest.

Burt

I find that pax will come back to tell me when I'm being rude.

:p

Actually, I find it rude to tell someone they are being rude.:rolleyes:

I always try to say "thank you", but I can understand why others don't. I think that, many times, it just comes down to communications style: some of us are just 'chattier' than others. ;)

Another thing for the OP to consider is that, when you provide the answer to a question, it may very well benefit someone other than the original inquiring poster. I've always said that I learn something new, every day that I read these boards. I always appreciate the folks who provide that knowledge! :cool:

I'm just the opposite. Thank you messages, messages saying I'm following, post welcoming people to CC, etc. Do nothing except raise post counts, and make threads longer than necessary.

No question the "T-word" is misused and overused. But there will always be a segment of regular posters who are 100% convinced and intractable in the thought that a brand new screen name starting a thread on a controversial topic is ALWAYS a long-time existing member that opened a second (or third, fourth, fifth etc) account just to have fun stirring the pot.

Fair enough. :)

With literally millions of posts in this forum I can't disagree there would be some doing that. :)

I don't, but I do come back mostly to see if there are any questions about something I posted.

I do, too(that is return to see if there are questions or comments about my post.)

I think cb at sea has a little difficulty with this concept!!:eek:;)

Edited by Rala