Perhaps, it's obivious but WHY won't they install a Keruig coffee maker in a room?

After all, there is NO flame, nothing to catch fire (at least I HOPE most passengers have to 'common sense' to figure out how to use one) even a small child could be taught in about 5 minutes. Maybe they (the cruise line) are afraid that some IDIOT would try to JAM two of the round disk in the holder and ram it shut, after all, they'd declare, 'I wanted TWO cups of coffee !' or, the dimwitted passenger would take the cup out before the brewing cycle's finished ?..l guess it might make a mess for the room steward ? I just know it's easier on the room service folks, it'd end the countless trips w/1-2 coffeepots of lukewarm coffee.:rolleyes: What are YOUR thoughts, suggestions ?

Mac

Simple answer: It's the cost of installing a thousand or more Keruig coffee makers on each ship. It's not just the cost of the coffee maker, it's the time taken to install each one, provide coffee each day, etc. That will easily run into the hundreds of thousands of dollars per ship.

And what return does the cruise line get? Financially, a negative return as the passengers will expect the coffee pods to be replaced "for free" - and they aren't cheap.

So maybe that can be provided on a six-star cruise line... but certainly not on a mainstream cruise line.

VP

As some posters have said it is likely a cost issue, from the machines, to installation, and those pods are not cheap. Sure the cruise lines could get a good volume price but it would still be way more expensive for them vs. the stuff they call coffee now. And think of the revenue the lines would loose from specialty coffee sales! And what about the lost sales from Amaretto and Baileys purchases cruisers use to make the current swill palatable?

Now I'm off to make my first Keurig coffee of the morning. A Tim Horton's dark roast in honour of Canada's 150th birthday today. It won't need it, but I might find some Baileys to put in it........ hey it's a special day, Eh! :D

Edited by DirtyDawg

I've stayed in some hotel rooms that have Keurigs in them but they have always been in more upscale (read pricey) hotels. As others have pointed out cost is probably the biggest factor. The K15 personal brewer costs $100 retail plus the cost of the k-cups themselves. I have had a coffee maker in about half of our balcony cabins and I only use it in the morning to have my first cup or two of the day (I am normally up before the buffet is open). DW and I use a Keurig and when I figured out how much we were spending a year with it I looked for alternatives. We currently grind our own coffee and use re-useable pods for the Keurig.

I was in the "waiting room" at a car repair shop. Another lady was there also. They had the K-cups on the counter and I watched her put many of them in her purse. So this makes me wonder. Would pax steal them?

Also repair costs, I don't think was mentioned.

Also disposal. I know K-cups are small, but possibility of a couple thousand a DAY, could really contribute to the garbage bags. :cool:

In addition K-Cups are frequent targets of criticism from environmentalists. Cruise lines are doing all they can to try to mitigate the criticisms directed their way by environmentalists so adopting a benefit that is already condemned by environmentalists is not something they are going to be interested in doing. There are less environmentally impactful pods but they are not as easy to use as K-Cups and would likely to be seen by customers as a lesser offering thereby compromising any benefit there would be from putting in Keurig machines in every stateroom.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

A Keurig has a heating element, get too hot and fire (?).

I never understand why a woman can bring a curling iron and her hair dryer but my husband can not bring a steamer. All have heating elements.

Once on an OLD NCL ship (that had been built by the OLD Dolphin cruise lines as the Royal Majesty), we had an ironing board and plug in coffee pot in our cabin! You pulled out a drawer and then unfolded the ironing board- it was attached to the back of the drawer. Guess you could bring irons then.

The ship was sold to Louise cruises in England a few years ago and is still sailing.

I just go to the buffet in the morning and get my husband's coffee and my tea BEFORE breakfast. Can't call room service because we never know what time we'll get up!

As some posters have said it is likely a cost issue, from the machines, to installation, and those pods are not cheap. Sure the cruise lines could get a good volume price but it would still be way more expensive for them vs. the stuff they call coffee now. And think of the revenue the lines would loose from specialty coffee sales! And what about the lost sales from Amaretto and Baileys purchases cruisers use to make the current swill palatable?

Now I'm off to make my first Keurig coffee of the morning. A Tim Horton's dark roast in honour of Canada's 150th birthday today. It won't need it, but I might find some Baileys to put in it........ hey it's a special day, Eh! :D

they make TH K cups?! please please PLEASE tell me us lowly Americans can get it!

The ship was sold to Louise cruises in England a few years ago and is still sailing.

A little bit garbled there. Ship is owned by Louis Lines (Celestyal Cruises) of Limassol, Cyprus as Louis Majesty, but currently leased to Thomson Cruises as Thomson Majesty. EM

I never understand why a woman can bring a curling iron and her hair dryer but my husband can not bring a steamer. All have heating elements.

Once on an OLD NCL ship (that had been built by the OLD Dolphin cruise lines as the Royal Majesty), we had an ironing board and plug in coffee pot in our cabin! You pulled out a drawer and then unfolded the ironing board- it was attached to the back of the drawer. Guess you could bring irons then.

I just go to the buffet in the morning and get my husband's coffee and my tea BEFORE breakfast. Can't call room service because we never know what time we'll get up!

We've sailed on 4 NCL ships, 3 had coffee makers, 2 had single pod coffee makers.

No one has addressed filling the water on a K cup machine. Do you fill the tank in the shower since the sink isn't deep enough?

The pods are very expensive and create a lot of waste without creating any revenue as previously stated. Just too many negatives. So what would be the positives for the cruise line?

No one has addressed filling the water on a K cup machine. Do you fill the tank in the shower since the sink isn't deep enough?

The pods are very expensive and create a lot of waste without creating any revenue as previously stated. Just too many negatives. So what would be the positives for the cruise line?

How do you fill the regular coffee maker in the cabin? I always used the coffee cup since all of the coffee makers were single use, which is what the K15 is. Some of the passengers would presumably be happier having the Keurigs but I don't think that's sufficient to overcome all of the negatives that have been pointed out.

Edited by sparks1093

they make TH K cups?! please please PLEASE tell me us lowly Americans can get it!

Yes they do!!!! :D

Original, Decafe and Dark Roast.

But for now you lowly Americans will have to come up here and smuggle caseloads back across the border. But as long as you're here you might as well load up on some other Canada only foods; Ketchup chips, Coffee Crisp bars, Crush Cream Soda, Kraft Dinner and the Kinder Surprises WITH the toy inside! :D

They don't for the reasons stated thus far: cost, waste, theft, and complaints over variety or lack thereof. Cunard puts Illy pod machines only in their suites and mini-suites. The standard staterooms get a hot water kettle and tea bags and instant coffee packets.

My workplace switched from the Keurig pod machines to the Flavia envelope machines because too many Keurig pods were being taken home. Theft and pilferage are noticed when the cumulative cost adds up to thousands of dollars per year.

The only reason cruise lines put in any coffee and tea service is that passengers have come to expect some type of it in many hotel accommodations.

I would assume they would be single cup coffee makers, you fill it with the coffee cup (sink), both of my college students have them for their dorm rooms, very popular.