Seeking Accommodation advice

Newby58

I am staying in Waikiki for a week pre cruise. My cruise will be an 18 night voyage sailing home to Australia. This will be my first visit to Hawaii and I will be travelling with my 19 y/o daughter.

There are so many options for accommodation that I don't know where to start. I thought that people who have stayed at a hotel like I describe may be able to recommend one?

I will be touring around Oahu and would like a clean, centrally located not overly expensive hotel where I can just sleep at night, preferably without a resort fee (or is that asking to much?). A walk to the beach would be fine. I won't be hiring a car and plan to use buses etc.

Cheers,

Cheryl

Edited by Newby58

Define "not overly expensive". Hawaii is not cheap.

You probably want to stay in Waikiki. Walk to everything. Good bus service. Not the cheapest place to stay, but certainly filled with the things you seek.

We stay at the Embassy Suites. But there are MANY threads here about hotels in Waikiki.

You probably want to stay in Waikiki. Walk to everything. Good bus service. Not the cheapest place to stay, but certainly filled with the things you seek.

We stay at the Embassy Suites. But there are MANY threads here about hotels in Waikiki.

We are staying at the Embassy Suites for 3 nights pre cruise. How did you like it? Thanks!!

We have stayed at the 'Ilima in the past and will stay there on our next trip.

Advantages:

one of the cheapest hotels in Wailkiki

LARGE rooms with kitchen area - especially well set up if you want to get 3-4 people in a room - we will be 3 people

Good off-beach location a one minute walk from Kuhio and a 5-10 minute walk to the beach (depends on how fast you walk)

Friendly, helpful staff

Parking is available but limited (so you must reserve a spot)

Easy access to transit on Kuhio

Disadvantages:

Older hotel

Smaller pool

Short walk to beach

IF there are just 2 of you, you may find something cheaper (but likely with no kitchen facilities - so it depends on if you require either more room or kitchen facilities)

We are staying at the Embassy Suites for 3 nights pre cruise. How did you like it? Thanks!!

Nice place. Close to everything. 1 block from beach. Public transit all around. Breakfast, happy hour/manager's reception included, with live music a few nights a week. Nice pool area. Been there 3 times, talking about going again.

There are two towers. You might want to try for one on the beach side.

In between the Trump Tower and a back packers hostel :-)

I've noticed that some hotels are reasonable until you add the thirty something dollars per night resort fee.

I'll keep looking.... I may just have to save my pennies and go for a classic like Outrigger on the Beach. I'll look at the Embassy Suites as well.

Thank you for your suggestion.

We just returned from 10 days in Hawaii, the first three spent at the Embassy Suites Waikiki Beach Walk, before our cruise on the Pride of America. It was just superb! They upgraded us from a city view to an ocean front room at no charge. The pool area is great. There is no "resort fee". The made to order breakfast is marvelous and included in the price. You are only a block off the beach a well. I highly recommend it. By the way, once you book through the Hilton website, be sure to go back from time to time to check prices. We originally booked a city view room for $279 per night. We twice found the price lowered, and re-booked, eventually getting that room for $188 per night....and then they upgraded us on top of that!

We recently stayed at a condo in the Ilikai, rented from Waikiki Beach Rentals. The Ilikai is right on the beach and there are many condos to choose from. The "one bedroom" condos are really a studio with the bed and living room really one room. There are pictures of the condos on line at WBR to help you choose. The kitchen area was really nice as well as the lanai. Our condo was $139 per night plus a cleaning fee plus the taxes. The total cost was way less than any of the hotels on the beach that we looked at. The Ilikai staff was very helpful.