A question for gbenjo

trishh

Hi gbenjo,

I apologise that I've posted this question in 2 different places, but I'm nervous this close to my cruise. I'm leaving on the Golden Princess on Friday, going round Tassie, and have just realised that we have no photo ID for the kids (I didn't realise their passports had expired). I've rung Princess who have said the expired passport for the 20 year old is fine (they will accept passports that have expired up to 5 years ago), but that for the 17 year old the Medicare card can be used. I've been told that the expired passport will not work for her. I'm nervous to turn up with no photo ID for my daughter and so I was going to apply for the Keypass ID card from Australia post. As someone who works in check in I wondered if you could tell me if the information I've been given by Princess is correct, and if I'll have any problems getting on board?

Thanks in advance

Trish

I have taken my 2 grandaughters on Australian cruises. They are now 12 and 8 and don't have photo ID. I always take their medicare card and also a letter signed by both parents giving me authority to take the girls and to make any decisions necessary whilst in my care. I have never been asked for the letter but I like to take it for my own peace of mind. I have taken them on P & O and Princess.

I am not sure if Princess requires photo ID for miniors, but the keypass card sounds like a good way to go if she doesn't have any other photo ID like a Drivers licence (Learners) or student card.

Thanks MicCanberra, I've gone back on the Princess website and it does clearly say that for domestic cruises the Medicare card is fine for under 18's. We've cruised so often but we've always needed the passports so I've never faced this problem before now.

Trish

I have taken my 2 grandaughters on Australian cruises. They are now 12 and 8 and don't have photo ID. I always take their medicare card and also a letter signed by both parents giving me authority to take the girls and to make any decisions necessary whilst in my care. I have never been asked for the letter but I like to take it for my own peace of mind. I have taken them on P & O and Princess.

Thanks

Hi gbenjo,

I apologise that I've posted this question in 2 different places, but I'm nervous this close to my cruise. I'm leaving on the Golden Princess on Friday, going round Tassie, and have just realised that we have no photo ID for the kids (I didn't realise their passports had expired). I've rung Princess who have said the expired passport for the 20 year old is fine (they will accept passports that have expired up to 5 years ago), but that for the 17 year old the Medicare card can be used. I've been told that the expired passport will not work for her. I'm nervous to turn up with no photo ID for my daughter and so I was going to apply for the Keypass ID card from Australia post. As someone who works in check in I wondered if you could tell me if the information I've been given by Princess is correct, and if I'll have any problems getting on board?

Thanks in advance

Trish

Yep Gut was correct, I am just on the bus going home from checking 1300 children plus adults ( not me personally ;)) onto the Voyager.

l can only speak for the policies Royal have for "coastal" cruises and that is, any government issued photo ID is acceptable ( most often a drivers licence) or Medicare card for the younger ones. l have never been presented with an "expired"passport and it has never been mentioned at any pre check in briefing I have attended in the past seven years but if Princess say it is acceptable then it must be. Cannot understand though why the age of the person with the expired passport would be of any relevance. Sorry I can not give a definitive answer but hope this this helps.

Yep Gut was correct, I am just on the bus going home from checking 1300 children plus adults ( not me personally ;)) onto the Voyager.

l can only speak for the policies Royal have for "coastal" cruises and that is, any government issued photo ID is acceptable ( most often a drivers licence) or Medicare card for the younger ones. l have never been presented with an "expired"passport and it has never been mentioned at any pre check in briefing I have attended in the past seven years but if Princess say it is acceptable then it must be. Cannot understand though why the age of the person with the expired passport would be of any relevance. Sorry I can not give a definitive answer but hope this this helps.

Thanks for the reply. The Princess rep was quite clear that the expired passport for an adult was fine, but not for the under 18 year old. I don't quite get the reasoning either.

Trish

Thanks for the reply. The Princess rep was quite clear that the expired passport for an adult was fine, but not for the under 18 year old. I don't quite get the reasoning either.

Trish

I can only guess that a child's face (shape and size rather than hair colour) can change a lot in a few years compared to the passport photo where as an adults doesn't.

This of course doesn't explain why they would accept an expired passport.

I think we only had a passport (in date) for two of our cruises, the rest we have just used photo ID.

We take our passports with us even for the domestic cruises as it is just quicker and easier for the on line check in as well as the check in staff.

We take our passports with us even for the domestic cruises as it is just quicker and easier for the on line check in as well as the check in staff.

Same.

Also, not sure if it was seen, but here's the link from the other thread confirming that Princess are fine with Medicare cards for minors.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=54740697&postcount=141

Yes, being able to swipe a passport rather than having to manually type in drivers licence (or like) is so much quicker and easier to do. It annoys the hell out of me though the number of travel agents who provide a passport number (presumeably the pax although I suspect they may just make up a number to "beat" the system) when they take the booking but then tell the guest they do not need to take their passport for check in. (technically correct I guess but a pain in the butt for the check in agent:mad:)

Yes, being able to swipe a passport rather than having to manually type in drivers licence (or like) is so much quicker and easier to do. It annoys the hell out of me though the number of travel agents who provide a passport number (presumeably the pax although I suspect they may just make up a number to "beat" the system) when they take the booking but then tell the guest they do not need to take their passport for check in. (technically correct I guess but a pain in the butt for the check in agent:mad:)

I know what you mean, my SIL didn't have a passport or a licence so they rang up and the X people did something in the system for her so she could check in. When it came to the actual check in, we went through in a few minutes and she was at the desk for nearly 15 minutes while they were trying to do something to get her citizen card to work.

Might see you around tomorrow decided to ue the night we had booked at the HI for a little Chrissy shopping

HI..do you mean the Intercontinental ?... my wife is staying there tonight, my daughter ,grand daughter and her are going to a Physical Culture competition at the Opera House..I will warn her about you :D

Give me a call if you are going to "visit" me at the OPT so that I can get outside to meet you.

HI..do you mean the Intercontinental ?... my wife is staying there tonight, my daughter ,grand daughter and her are going to a Physical Culture competition at the Opera House..I will warn her about you :D

Give me a call if you are going to "visit" me at the OPT so that I can get outside to meet you.

Holiday Inn.

Good luck to the granddaughter, my niece (now her daughter as well) are all into Physi, my baby used to do it too. Mrs Gut was all about ballet. Me well let’s just say it’s not that I don’t, just I can’t.

I should have said. Those are the plans, but have to have a red hot poker in the back first, so it depends on me feeling up to it after that.

Mrs Gut wants to visit Peter’s before Christmas so seems the perfect opportunity as we had booked a non refundable room.