Explorer of the seas - Speciality Dinning options

Hey

Heading off on RCI Explorer of the seas in late Feb. We have not cruised with RCI before so looking forward to the trip.

Just a question, are the dinning packages worth it and what is the usual cost of the speciality restaurants on Explorer of the Seas?

Cheers

Steve

Food is subjective and while I am perfectly happy with the MDR offerings, specialty restaurants are nice to try, especially for a special occasion. I cannot comment on whether the dining packages are worth it but the value is cheaper than if you paid individually for each dining experience. I didn't do any specialty restaurants on our Explorer cruise but we have on other ships.

On the Explorer they have

Royal Caribbean's signature steakhouse, Chop's Grille - I haven't tried it on explorer but have on Ovation and it was wonderful.

Giovanni's Table Italian trattoria - I haven't tried this one at all but friends have raved about it as better than Chop's grill.

Izumi Japanese Cuisine - again on the Ovation and it was great, we paid al a carte though.

Johnny Rockets - haven't tried as it was too busy but saw a bit of the show they do, it looked fun.

Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream - nice ice cream but then is there bad ice cream.

I just tried my first specialty restaurant which was on the Explorer. We went to Chops Grille for lunch. It was nice, but nothing amazing. There was only a choice of two desserts of which one was the same that was offered in the MDR that night. The prawn cocktail was very ordinary. Probably shoudn't have had it on day 6. And the service, although nothing wrong with it, was nothing like the service in the MDR. I found the MDR food on the Explorer to be quite good. Much better than the Ovation. And the atmosphere in the MDR was brilliant. So yeah I suppose I'm not really selling the specialty dining. I probably would have enjoyed it on the Ovation better as I was not too impressed with the MDRs on the Ovation. They felt like RSL clubs as opposed to the grandeur of the Explorer.

Hey

Heading off on RCI Explorer of the seas in late Feb. We have not cruised with RCI before so looking forward to the trip.

Just a question, are the dinning packages worth it and what is the usual cost of the speciality restaurants on Explorer of the Seas?

Cheers

Steve

Which cruise, daughter is in one and I think my sister is also on one.

We find the food in the MDR not quite to the standard we like and so we eat speciality every night. On Explorer we think Giovanni's is the best of the bunch. Izumi uses frozen product which is a bit off-putting - defrosted fish eggs just don't work for sushi. Chops is adequate but ordinary - our sides were served only barely warm each time we were there.

RCL prices the speciality restraints to encourage you to buy a package; on a one-off basis the prices are outrageous for what you're getting. On a January fourteen nighter just coming up now we got a package for the whole cruise at under $20 NZD per night; we booked super early and have to put up with dinner at 9pm on the first night (but you can be sure I will ask the concierge to change this as soon as we are on board).

• 4 weeks later...
We find the food in the MDR not quite to the standard we like and so we eat speciality every night. On Explorer we think Giovanni's is the best of the bunch. Izumi uses frozen product which is a bit off-putting - defrosted fish eggs just don't work for sushi. Chops is adequate but ordinary - our sides were served only barely warm each time we were there.

RCL prices the speciality restraints to encourage you to buy a package; on a one-off basis the prices are outrageous for what you're getting. On a January fourteen nighter just coming up now we got a package for the whole cruise at under $20 NZD per night; we booked super early and have to put up with dinner at 9pm on the first night (but you can be sure I will ask the concierge to change this as soon as we are on board).

Where did you get the specialty dining package? I couldn't find it online. Was it on board? I have heard of the ultimate dining package. Is that the one you had?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Hey

Cheers

Steve

Go to your RCI cruise planner if you booked direct.

on our 10 nighter for next week

Ultimate dinning package $316.80

Chops Grille $ 46.20 lunch $25.08

Giovanis Table $ 46.20

3 night dinning $ 99.00

Izumi is alacart prices with a $35 food credit with ultimate

First nite done right $ 26.40

Chefs Table $112.20

Variose other packages 3 night 4 night 5 night.

MDR $ included:)

Buffet $ included serve yourself :D

Cafe promenade 24hours coffee tea cakes sandwiches rolls small pizza slices pastries cookies.$ included.

My above prices are for the explorer and to be honest every one at our MDR tables in the past have said they should not have bothered.

Our secret to cruising is sitting on the biggest MDR table possible, this next cruise we are on a 10 topper and if the other 8 dont like us there is always the specialty restaurants for them to visit lol ;p

How would they keep the fish fresh enough on a cruise if it wasnt frozen?

Well at least they age the meat for specialty because you can see it Hung and ageing on VOS and EOS

Perhaps Izumi should change to a Dutch Scottish fusion of all you can eat Kippers and Roll Mops :D

Thanks! How do you already know your seating?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Dont know the table number yet but we request via Crown & Anchor a large table late seating and it stays in our preference, then we call RCI to make sure we have got our request preference:)

We could get an 8 topper or a 10 topper, this cruise we chose a 10 topper.

I prefer the old cruise way where cruisers did not choose their table guests,who you got you were stuck with the entire cruise:')

I prefer the freestyle dining (Anytime, Select, Open or whatever you want to call it) to the traditional seating style.

I think I was part of the change? many of our table guests were usually starving to death on P&O after 2nd night MDR dinner with no nightly buffet or specialty restaurants lol

Great to have waiters full attention each night! lol

I think I was part of the change? many of our table guests were usually starving to death on P&O after 2nd night MDR dinner with no nightly buffet or specialty restaurants lol

Great to have waiters full attention each night! lol

We normally get as much attention that we need, not so much that they are attentive without being intrusive.:D

We normally get as much attention that we need, not so much that they are attentive without being intrusive.:D

You learn a lot from waiters who are not so busy! they have more time to talk and then re talk at brekky and lunch,alas the pit boss eventually gives them less MDR free time with us :D