Over packing.

chromered7

I'm right there with you.

We went away overnight for our niece's wedding and my DH said how much stuff are you bringing. I probably brought more stuff than most people bring with them for a 7 night cruise.

I am the same . 1 night, 14 nights. The same for me

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I often wear the same evening clothes multiple times. They are only worn for a few hours, and I shower before I put them on. How often I wear daytime clothes depends on how I used the clothes (walking around the hot and humid Caribbean, or lounging around onboard inside). It is definitely NOT necessary to always wash all your clothes every single day to avoid odor, with the exception of underwear. I shower daily, usually twice on cruises, and I can assure you I am not letting off any offensive odors. If someone wants to shorten the life of their clothes by washing them every day, or wear new every day - their life; their decision. But please don't be telling me that not doing so means you are going to stink. End of rant.

For over thirty years, we have travelled with carry on ONLY for outbound portion of trips that sometimes exceeded one month.

and I still sometimes return home with clothes I never wore, Dayquil geltabs untouched, bandaids ready to go on the next trip, etc.

Impressive! But how???

On a warm weather cruise, I have the laundry starch my shirts s heavily as possible and fol them. They travel compactly, and as long as I don't eat spaghetti, I get multiple use from them. A couple of hours for dinner and then reuse it three days later, etc. With the starch they look very fresh for days on end at two or three hours a night. Polo shirts during the day. I don't use tee shirts except for exercise. I especially don't like old men with stupid sayings on tee shirts. :) :) DW is the opposite. If there's space in the suitcase, she'll fill it with things she won't ever use.

Oh hands up I resemble that implication - my name is tiggertastic and I’m an over packer

It’s not clothes though, it’s taken me 55 cruises, I’ve got that sorted by putting half back but it’s shoes, toiletries and meds. I love my shoes but next trip I’m leaving all heels at home, I’m going to need therapy but my feet swell and I can’t get them on so they’re staying home. Sob sob.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I did a cruise last year in an orthopaedic boot! Still packed one sandal, one dress shoe, one trainer....

It did reduce the luggage a bit!

I often wear the same evening clothes multiple times. They are only worn for a few hours, and I shower before I put them on. How often I wear daytime clothes depends on how I used the clothes (walking around the hot and humid Caribbean, or lounging around onboard inside). It is definitely NOT necessary to always wash all your clothes every single day to avoid odor, with the exception of underwear. I shower daily, usually twice on cruises, and I can assure you I am not letting off any offensive odors. If someone wants to shorten the life of their clothes by washing them every day, or wear new every day - their life; their decision. But please don't be telling me that not doing so means you are going to stink. End of rant.

I have to agree with you xx not eco friendly either

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have cruised many times and I always take additional items “just in case” you need them . When I unpack after a cruise there are some clothes I discover that I have never worn. So this got me thinking how many people over pack or is it just me?

I take CHOICES! If I don't wear them then I don't care. for example on a 7 night cruise I probably taker 15 swim suits! I do better with dinner clothes, I normally decide on them and pack something different for each night. But I take a ton of flip flops/sandals and lots of swim suits. As long as I have room, they get packed-lol

It's perfect! But does it come in purple or leopard?

LOL. The porters should get a little extra for handling that bag.

We have cruised many times and I always take additional items “just in case” you need them . When I unpack after a cruise there are some clothes I discover that I have never worn. So this got me thinking how many people over pack or is it just me?

After 50 cruises I never overpack.

I use packing cubes to maximize luggage space.

Pack clothes that can be mixed and matched. Easy to wash fabrics.

And I make use of laundry service on the ships.

You?

IMO, it requires thoughtful preplanning.

Good luck. And happy cruising.

King

Our packing has become so much more complex since we retired and could add additional weeks pre and/or post cruise.

It isn’t clothes that is an issue it is the other stuff! As we often enjoy self catering as a real contrast to the cruise I find I am packing salt and pepper, a few tea bags and numerous other things I don’t want to buy in big packets. Then there is a corkscrew (just in case the villa one is rubbish)....my dress shoes and posh frocks are no problem!

Yup... Maybe not the salt and pepper but travel without a 'waiters friend' - never. Tea bags are essential for DW and some instant Nescafe for me.

Too funny...lugging around our suitcases make them feel that huge!

I take CHOICES! If I don't wear them then I don't care. for example on a 7 night cruise I probably taker 15 swim suits! I do better with dinner clothes, I normally decide on them and pack something different for each night. But I take a ton of flip flops/sandals and lots of swim suits. As long as I have room, they get packed-lol

Rhetorical question: Why the heck does anybody own 15 bathing suits????:confused::eek:

Rhetorical question: Why the heck does anybody own 15 bathing suits????:confused::eek:

LOL- my sister for example, buys new things but has many old things she refuses to part with.

Some continue to buy new- but do not replace the old- just keep adding, regardless if the clothes still fit our are in style.

I have a question for those that use packing cubes. I bought a set of different sized packing cubes earlier this year and have used on one vacation so far. Almost all of my clothes were wrinkled and needed ironing! I even watched the videos online on how to pack them. (Rolling clothes) What's the secret? I want to use on our upcoming cruise, but I don't want a bunch of wrinkled clothes. (I had better luck with folding my clothes and placing in plastic bags in groups.)

7-10 Night Caribbean

My packing list is minimal:

I Travel in:

Black Pants / Capri

Dress Shirt (worn to first night dinner)

Sweater

Wear clunkiest shoes

Clothing to Pack:

2 Swim Suits

1 pair work out shorts (2 pair if bringing work out shoes)

1 Swimsuit cover up (doubles as additional dress)

1 Black Dress (2 if 10 night)

2 dressy tops (3 if 10 night)

Flip flops

Ballet flats

1 Sports bra (if bringing work out shoes)

2 tank tops

1 t-shirt (2 if 10 night)

1 "sweatshirt"

2 scarfs

PJ's

"Jacket" / fishing shirt

(work out shoes)

And a ton of fashion accessories to change the look of the black dress

7-10 Night Caribbean

My packing list is minimal:

I Travel in:

Black Pants / Capri

Dress Shirt (worn to first night dinner)

Sweater

Wear clunkiest shoes

Clothing to Pack:

2 Swim Suits

1 pair work out shorts (2 pair if bringing work out shoes)

1 Swimsuit cover up (doubles as additional dress)

1 Black Dress (2 if 10 night)

2 dressy tops (3 if 10 night)

Flip flops

Ballet flats

1 Sports bra (if bringing work out shoes)

2 tank tops

1 t-shirt (2 if 10 night)

1 "sweatshirt"

2 scarfs

PJ's

"Jacket" / fishing shirt

(work out shoes)

And a ton of fashion accessories to change the look of the black dress

Go commando?

Yup... Maybe not the salt and pepper but travel without a 'waiters friend' - never. Tea bags are essential for DW and some instant Nescafe for me.

Some PAXs have been known to pack their own butter. Like unsalted Kerry Gold.

Enjoy

King

7 day cruise in a carry on is easy as pie. I would think a 10 day would be just as easy. I can't stand dragging extra baggage around.

it does depend on your size of carry on though....this is always brought home to me when i see americans in front of me boarding in europe with carry ons bigger than what i checked in 24 inch sm-med case - which i consider my large case....:)

it does depend on your size of carry on though....this is always brought home to me when i see americans in front of me boarding in europe with carry ons bigger than what i checked in 24 inch sm-med case - which i consider my large case....:)

Does that 24” size case you say Americans carry on fit in the overhead bin boarding in Europe?

King