Buffet line etiquette?

I think where British lead the world, or is it stand behind them, is queuing. Most nationalities will find out what the queue is for before joining it, thus losing their place. A local, well known clothing store near where I live regularly has huge queues of people queuing up to try clothes on in the changing rooms. They always form one giant line with 90% women and 10% men. A member of staff has to be employed to direct the men to come forward to the front as there are separate men and women's changing facilities.

Some people in buffets get a bit miffed at people who overtake them. Island counters are much better than a linear single counter. Why do you need to queue behind people waiting for roast dinners when you do not want one and just want to access the counter area beyond them where the spotted dicks are?

Regards John

John, what are spotted dicks??

Was just having a little fun. No offense intended. They did move it quite a distance, and I am stuck for what they saw that they confused for Sumter. Maybe McHenry? I hope you didn't put them on your team at trivia.

Have you lived in Albany long? I grew up in Syracuse.

I was serious about that other stuff not bothering me though. I really pay little attention to what others are doing, as long as they are not physically in my space. My button is people pushing, not looking where they are going, or cutting lines.

No offense taken!! And I have lived in NY my entire life. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My wife was also in the spa on embarkation day, and witnessed a fairly loud, obnoxious twosome discussing how they visited Fort Sumter at the end of the Chesapeake Bay. For starters, Fort Sumter is not even NEAR the Chesapeake Bay. ;)

:eek::eek::eek::eek: I hope you called security on that immediately! That's outrageous!

I stop washing my body, including but not limited to hands, face, and nether regions a few months before any cruise I go on. This serves a few purposes.

1) I become immune to most fecal illnesses. (helps with buffet foods)

2) People stay away from me in lines due to my amazing odor

3) Cabin attendants usually are happy to let me keep my bed sheets at the end of the cruise FREE OF CHARGE!

What bothers me at the buffet are people who hold up the line because they are undecided, or perhaps searching for that perfect piece of chicken. The line ahead is 20 feet away but the timid people behind wont go around. Newer ships have addressed this with multiple food stations, each with their own line. However many older ships have just One line for everything. So remember, if someone holds up the line,,,GO Around!

I'm not sure if its been mentioned or not but what confuses me is which way are you supposed to queue .I get behind one person in line they move on then someone else comes at me from the other side .

Is this a case of queu-lexia? I have seen this also at the island style buffet stations a number of times.

Is this a case of queu-lexia? I have seen this also at the island style buffet stations a number of times.
I think you are supposed to go around the islands in a clockwise direction... unless you are sailing south of the equator then directions reverse. The moment of crossing can be pretty brutal.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Forums mobile app

I think you are supposed to go around the islands in a clockwise direction... unless you are sailing south of the equator then directions reverse. The moment of crossing can be pretty brutal.

You get the award for funniest comment of the day!

I stop washing my body, including but not limited to hands, face, and nether regions a few months before any cruise I go on. This serves a few purposes.

1) I become immune to most fecal illnesses. (helps with buffet foods)

2) People stay away from me in lines due to my amazing odor

3) Cabin attendants usually are happy to let me keep my bed sheets at the end of the cruise FREE OF CHARGE!

Interesting comment.

So, what happens when you don’t wipe yourself thoroughly, and it’s on your hands or fingers? Are you one of those kind of PAX that eat the food on your plate with your fingers or lick your fingers standing in the buffet line?

Enjoy your cruise. :)

King

How the hell I am suppose to know when we cross the Equator? Does the Royal App indicate this? If I have already started my trip around, and we reach the equator, do I finish or immediately turn? Will I ever reach the other end in this scenario? Do I have to hand sanitize again, as I am technically re-entering the line? I can see why this is brutal.

I definitely am aware of that. MSC is not as large as the “big 3” Also, they only do this for U.S. based guests. Top-tier elite guests make up a very small percentage of the cruising public, so they can get away with this. Most of the fleet is in Europe, whereas most of the U.S. big 3 keep most of the fleet in the U.S. Even on Divina, where I have done 2 sailings recently in the Caribbean, there were very few blacks. On Preziosa (in Northern Europe), the black party was empty. Airlines have done it for me as well [emoji6] No different. MSC is an unknown for most of the U.S. cruising public, and they are trying to build up a brand.

Not so I’m afraid. We are in the U.K. and did a status match, along with our 6 companions. All black.

How the hell I am suppose to know when we cross the Equator? Does the Royal App indicate this? If I have already started my trip around, and we reach the equator, do I finish or immediately turn? Will I ever reach the other end in this scenario? Do I have to hand sanitize again, as I am technically re-entering the line? I can see why this is brutal.

At the time of crossing, the Captain makes an announcement on the ship’s PA system. Then, everyone queued in the buffet line reverses their direction. At least that was true on the Regal. We took our lead from the Brits who are well known for queueing up for everything. :)

Enjoy your cruise.

King

Not so I’m afraid. We are in the U.K. and did a status match, along with our 6 companions. All black.

They must have changed it. I do know for a while they were only doing it for U.S. guests.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Everybody is Black status now.

Really doesn't mean much anymore.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Black status matters!!

Sorry, it just popped into my head and it took over my finger. I couldn’t stop it!!

I had a really bad day at work. Some of these comments are really making me laugh and better.

I think I’m going to start CCing at the office.

Why not??

I definitely am aware of that. MSC is not as large as the “big 3” Also, they only do this for U.S. based guests. Top-tier elite guests make up a very small percentage of the cruising public, so they can get away with this. Most of the fleet is in Europe, whereas most of the U.S. big 3 keep most of the fleet in the U.S. Even on Divina, where I have done 2 sailings recently in the Caribbean, there were very few blacks. On Preziosa (in Northern Europe), the black party was empty. Airlines have done it for me as well [emoji6] No different. MSC is an unknown for most of the U.S. cruising public, and they are trying to build up a brand.