Behavior Issues

I will never cease to be amazed when I read a review by "an experienced cruiser" that gives a poor review on a ship when the only thing that they really griped about in the review was the behavior of unattended children.

When you look at the time of the cruise it always seems to be when school is not in session.

If you really are an "experienced cruiser" you should know better than to cruise at these times. And, if you have children that have to go with you, suck it up, and realize that that is the way of the cruise world.

I will never cease to be amazed when I read a review by "an experienced cruiser" that gives a poor review on a ship when the only thing that they really griped about in the review was the behavior of unattended children.

When you look at the time of the cruise it always seems to be when school is not in session.

If you really are an "experienced cruiser" you should know better than to cruise at these times. And, if you have children that have to go with you, suck it up, and realize that that is the way of the cruise world.

(y)(y)(y)

Have to agree with OP......but there are kids on ships at all times of the year.....but when school is out you should EXPECT to find families and LOTS of kids.....and that changes the dynamic entirely....go prepared and with the correct 'mind set' to say the least....or don't go at all!

My mother used to have a saying. If you don't want to be splashed then stay away from the pool. I don't think it stops with kids. Sometimes someone writes a very negative review and lots of it comes from the weather or a missed port. These things are out of everyone's hands so adjust your attitude and go along with the ride.

Agreed. Another thing that seams to set off a bad reviews is a missed port or bad weather. They claim that bad weather isn't NCL's fault then go on to complain about everything unrelated such as food and activities anyway.

yes! and those unattended children are not the responsibility of NCL, nor is it NCL's job to parent them.

we are blessed to not have children so as you will see from my siggy we NEVER sail when school is out, with the exception of our very first NCL cruise where we learned our lesson never to sail when kids are out.

we are blessed to not have children

I love this phrasing, because that's exactly how I feel about our situation too! I am very interested in Virgin Voyages' upcoming kids-free cruises. I know I could go on some of the more "upscale" cruise lines where everyone is 70 years old, but I am looking forward to a kids-free option targeted at a younger audience.

A school teacher/employee may be the only caveat to this...they may or may not be able to get time off during school. Other than that, the main stream cruise lines will have kids on them when school is out....even some when school is in session. It's part of life...without kids, we will have no adults in the future.

Plan accordingly.

My mother used to have a saying. If you don't want to be splashed then stay away from the pool. I don't think it stops with kids. Sometimes someone writes a very negative review and lots of it comes from the weather or a missed port. These things are out of everyone's hands so adjust your attitude and go along with the ride.

I've often thought that some people come onboard with a clipboard and pencil and start looking for things to complain about.

I see the world as not perfect and I can roll with any inconvenience.

I've often thought that some people come onboard with a clipboard and pencil and start looking for things to complain about.

I see the world as not perfect and I can roll with any inconvenience.

I definitely agree with you there! I might get worked up about something immediately and in the moment, but it is LONG gone from my mind by the time I get back ashore. I am not keeping a running tally of all the "wrongs" I encountered on a trip. I am there to relax and enjoy myself. A minor blip might set me off for a few minutes, but then I either forget about it or it becomes a fun story to tell.

Like this time I was on the Escape and waiting in line for the soft serve ice cream at 10:30 at night. A 10-ish year old kid (might have been more like 8, i don't know) cut right in front of me and served himself an ice cream cone. I was like "hey I was waiting in line". He just turned to me and looked at me for a good 20 seconds eating the first few licks of his ice cream cone and blocking the machine. I was *livid*. I almost followed him back to his table so I could talk to his parents about his poor behavior. Then I realized that any parent bringing their kid on a cruise when school was in session (this was February) and letting them eat ice cream at 10:30 at night probably wasn't going to be shocked that he would cut in line. The damage was already done for this kid! But, it's a fun story now. I am always amused by how worked up I got for a good 5 minutes there!

Funny thing about "unattended children"... Entourage has many activities that require the kids to venture around the ship on various scavenger type hunts, often racing to get back to the club first. LOL! I can't imagine all the grumpies that throw a fit about these out of control, unattended children.

I don't understand how people sailing NCL and the Escape, or Carnival, or Royal with all the stuff for kids to do on them, don't expect or want to be around kids. It makes no sense ...... I want to go to Toys R Us and I hope there aren't kids there either. I take my 8 and 10 year old daughters on every cruise and most are done while school is in session. Heck, they are on the Bliss 15 day Panama Canal coming up in march 2019. Probably be the only two kids on the ship. Those that whine about kids on cruise lines made for families need to go over to to Holland, Princess, or Celebrity .... Actually, don't go on Celebrity. My kids we be on a 12 day on the Silouhette on X in 2020 ..... Look out! Here come my demon seeds!!! LOL!

Edited by tallnthensome

I learned by lesson when I inadvertently booked a cruise during spring break one year. Our daughter was out of college by then so we weren't even thinking about spring break when we booked it (we had just had a funeral for my mother after a brief illness and we just needed to get away). We said never again! But our anniversary is in mid-August so we do find ourselves going then, when kids are still out for the summer. Oh well. We generally just avoid the kid-friendly areas and are usually fine. It's the unattended kids playing in the elevators pushing all the buttons for all the floors that generally give me fits.

When reading reviews, you can usually tell what "quirks" really got under someone's skin. From there, you can decide if that triggered a bias and whether or not you want to take the entire review at face value. Or if you want to overlook certain parts.

I immediately ignore any review that contains only negativity. For a few reasons 1) It's impossible to not have SOME good things to say and 2) If there's really not a single thing they liked about the cruise, chances are the problem is with the person writing the review.

That's my observation, FWIW.

I also dislike kids. That's why I won't cruise during the summer or any other time school is out. Problem solved.

@JamieLogical I have visions of you reaching out and just smashing that cone in his little face and then saying, "Oh, sorry, didn't mean to bump you."

The things you wish you would've thought of (or had the nerve to do) in the moment...

I definitely agree with you there! I might get worked up about something immediately and in the moment, but it is LONG gone from my mind by the time I get back ashore. I am not keeping a running tally of all the "wrongs" I encountered on a trip. I am there to relax and enjoy myself. A minor blip might set me off for a few minutes, but then I either forget about it or it becomes a fun story to tell.

Like this time I was on the Escape and waiting in line for the soft serve ice cream at 10:30 at night. A 10-ish year old kid (might have been more like 8, i don't know) cut right in front of me and served himself an ice cream cone. I was like "hey I was waiting in line". He just turned to me and looked at me for a good 20 seconds eating the first few licks of his ice cream cone and blocking the machine. I was *livid*. I almost followed him back to his table so I could talk to his parents about his poor behavior. Then I realized that any parent bringing their kid on a cruise when school was in session (this was February) and letting them eat ice cream at 10:30 at night probably wasn't going to be shocked that he would cut in line. The damage was already done for this kid! But, it's a fun story now. I am always amused by how worked up I got for a good 5 minutes there!

I call these kids "the gifted kids" since an NCL cruise is more educational than the classroom. The parents teach them that rules don't count, not for them, anyway. So, why not cut to the front of the line....they're very special.

The kid will probably grow up to be the President.

I call these kids "the gifted kids" since an NCL cruise is more educational than the classroom. The parents teach them that rules don't count, not for them, anyway. So, why not cut to the front of the line....they're very special.
Come on now, an 8 year old that cuts in front of the line to get soft serve ice cream at 10:30 at night isn't a ship sinker. How long was the line at 10:30? 3 people deep? It may have been improper but it's a little kid geting ice cream .... seems pety to me and has me questioning which one was the kid and who was having a meltdown over something so small. I'm sure everyone here was perfect when they were 8. :confused::rolleyes:

Come on now, an 8 year old that cuts in front of the line to get soft serve ice cream at 10:30 at night isn't a ship sinker. How long was the line at 10:30? 3 people deep? It may have been improper but it's a little kid geting ice cream .... seems pety to me and has me questioning which one was the kid and who was having a meltdown over something so small. I'm sure everyone here was perfect when they were 8. :confused::rolleyes:

This is completely obnoxious and unacceptable behavior. "A little kid" who is old enough to get ice cream by himself at 10:30 pm is old enough not to cut in line.

Maybe we all weren't perfect....but it was the job of our parents to teach us common courtesy.

Curious...but why do you think it was ok to cut and not wait...since, as you said, the line was only 3 people deep?

I must really be the odd man out. I have not had any issues with ANY kids on a cruise. I look at it that they are kids and yes they may not do everything proper but if an 8 year old cut in front of me no big deal.

What I do hate more is the adults who think they are special. Just today a bus was pulling away and a woman jumped to the front of the line saying that there adult children where aboard.... They did not say adult so the driver let them in but they did not have little ones.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

That was the point of my post. It was *not* a ship sinker. I am amused in hindsight that I was temporarily so upset, but like I said, I got over it quickly, didn't escalate the situation, and now I have a fun story. I definitely did not have a "meltdown".